We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please help me plan my trip!

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
21 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Please help me plan my trip!

A friend and I plan to visit New Mexico in mid September.

We prefer mountain camping instead of desert camping. And we will be car camping in campgrounds instead of backpacking.

Which national forest (or other area) should we plan to visit?

Mentioned in this post
New Mexico
New Mexico
United States
Santa Fe Skies RV Park
Santa Fe Skies RV Park
#3 of 23 Speciality lodging in Santa Fe
Santa Fe KOA Cabins and Campground
Santa Fe KOA Cabins and Campground
#4 of 23 Speciality lodging in Santa Fe
Rancheros de Santa Fe Campground
Rancheros de Santa Fe Campground
#12 of 23 Speciality lodging in Santa Fe
8 replies to this topic
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
22,153 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Please help me plan my trip!

Look at Santa Fe NF, Carson NF, Cibola NF all in northern NM (near SF, Taos and Abq) Possibly some camping in Lincoln NF near Ruidoso or Gila NF near Silver City.

Also look at NM State Parks, some nice ones in the area. Hyde Memorial State Park is right near Santa Fe.

Currently most of the forests are either closed or soon to be closed due to fire danger. I'm sure by September they will be back open.

Mentioned in this post
Santa Fe
Santa Fe
New Mexico
Taos
Taos
Taos County, NM
Lincoln
Lincoln
Nebraska
Ruidoso
Ruidoso
New Mexico
Silver City
Silver City
New Mexico
Hyde Memorial State Park
Hyde Memorial State Park
200 Reviews
Santa Fe, NM
Centerville, Ohio
Level Contributor
13,476 posts
3,232 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Please help me plan my trip!

Computer - Top Right

Do read

Top questions about Santa Fe

Mentioned in this post
Santa Fe
Santa Fe
New Mexico
Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
21 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Please help me plan my trip!

Thank you for the info, Casa!

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
21 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Please help me plan my trip!

SavantIII....I'm not really sure what your post meant. Maybe you had your wires crossed when replying.

Los Alamos, New...
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Los Alamos
Level Contributor
890 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Please help me plan my trip!

I didn't understand the top-right response either. That's where the links to responses to FAQs live on this page (it really should incorporate "FAQs" in the name of the section), but I don't see one there that answers your specific question(s). I still do suggest reading the "What to do outdoors in and around Santa Fe?" entry there for background, though.

Normally September is a very good time for camping in this area; both the monsoonal storms and the crowds will have gone or diminished in intensity. However, this year could be really weird for that because of the way weather patterns are going -- it's been extraordinarily dry so far this year, and long-range forecasts are for more of the same with well-above-normal temperatures, which we do NOT need. Almost all campgrounds are currently closed or nearly impossible to use because of forest-fire hazard. That should have abated by September -- should. But with this long-range forecast ... well, it could be a weird time.

This said, Santa Fe National Forest and Carson National Forest *should* be back open by then. You don't say what all you want to do other than camping. If you want to combine some hiking with visits to Santa Fe from a base camp, there are several NFS campgrounds on the road to the Santa Fe Ski Basin that should meet your needs. The state-run Hyde Park (http://www.emnrd.state.nm.us/spd/hydememorialstatepark.html ) is also on this road and fully satisfactory, if and when it re-opens after we get some rain. Campgrounds in Carson NF are farther from Santa Fe (but closer to Taos), but I have no specific recommendations there.

Mentioned in this post
Santa Fe
Santa Fe
New Mexico
Santa Fe National Forest
Santa Fe National Forest
36 Reviews
New Mexico
The Santa Fe Suites
The Santa Fe Suites
518 Reviews
Santa Fe, NM
Taos
Taos
Taos County, NM
Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
21 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Please help me plan my trip!

Thank you so much, Canbelto.

Albuquerque, New...
Destination Expert
for Albuquerque, New Mexico
Level Contributor
1,887 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Please help me plan my trip!

Generally, my family prefers state parks for car camping since they have restrooms with plumbing and showers. Near Santa Fe we've only car camped at Jemez Falls (national forest, vault toilets, near river, some nice hikes) and Abiquiu Lake (not forest, but shade shelters and showers--managed by army corps engineers). Might also look at some private campgrounds that have tent sites and amenities in forest. Lightning Creek near Durango is an example. But maybe you're wanting to be close to Santa Fe. Hyde Park might be best for that (and close to ten thousand waves).

Edited: 16 June 2018, 08:26
Mentioned in this post
Santa Fe
Santa Fe
New Mexico
Durango
Durango
Colorado
Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
21 posts
1 review