We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ist Time in Santa Fe- should I stay in town or away a bit?

Haverhill...
Level Contributor
12 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
Ist Time in Santa Fe- should I stay in town or away a bit?

Just wondering what the recommendation is..

Planning mid-October trip to Santa Fe.

We would like to be able to roam around town and have access to everything. But I don't want to be in the hustle and bustle of tourists, traffic and noise if staying locally. Was wondering if staying away from town and driving into the Plaza area is better. How is parking etc?

Santa Fe Mountain Adventures
4WD, ATV & Off-Road Tours, Bike Tours, Hiking & Camping Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Enchanted Journeys de Santa Fe
Sightseeing Tours, Wine Tours & Tastings , Nature & Wildlife Tours, Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours
Loretto Line
Sightseeing Tours, City Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Day Trips
Santa Fe Jeep Tours
Sightseeing Tours, 4WD, ATV & Off-Road Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Film & TV Tours, Day Trips
NORTH CAROLINA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
7,278 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ist Time in Santa Fe- should I stay in town or away a bit?

My preference is to stay in town specifically somewhere within walking distance to the plaza area and the new railyaerd area. It's so much nicer not to have to get in the car everytime you want to go somewhere on vacation this is just my personal opinion.

Parking can be iffy if you are going to be there for a major event and it can be expensive depending where you park, you could probably find parking october is not high season.

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
2,169 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ist Time in Santa Fe- should I stay in town or away a bit?

If you are planning on "mid-October," you'll be missing the huge influx into both Albuquerque and Santa Fe for the Albuquerque International Balloon Fiesta, Oct-3 thru Oct 11th. You should certainly not have any problem getting a rental car of your choice either, since so many are brought in for the fiesta.

I too would recommend you stay in the downtown historic area, within walking distance of the plaza, adjacent Palace of the Governors, and many other sites, shops, and restaurants.

Of course, as is true with almost anything in Santa Fe, the hotel prices are high downtown. You pay for the convenience (and parking). Check out the hotels link here on the Santa Fe Forums page for reviews, and prices for the downtown, historic area's hotels, motels, and B&B's. Parking on weekdays is usually a hassle, weekends better, especially in the mornings.

You should also plan to drive up to Taos, and Taos Pueblo (about 1 1/2 hours from Santa Fe), as the latter is one of northern New Mexico's "must-sees," little changed since the 15th Century. Along with Acoma Pueblo (The "Sky City" on a mesa top west of Albuquerque), they are the least "modernized" of all the 19 Pueblo villages. Enjoy your New Mexico adventure!

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
21,474 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ist Time in Santa Fe- should I stay in town or away a bit?

Actually the Plaza area will be more serene than staying out on Cerrillos Road,plus you will be in the heart of the city. In mid October there still will be tourists, but nothing like Indian Market weekend. I was in near the Plaza, close to a B&B on Saturday of Indian Market and the area was actually quite quiet. Most lodging near the Plaza has parking.

Stay near the Plaza and enjoy, you will be glad you did. Plenty of small hotels, b&b's and casitas.

Haverhill...
Level Contributor
12 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ist Time in Santa Fe- should I stay in town or away a bit?

Thank-you all for your responses and recommendations.

I think we will plan to stay in town. That's what I was leaning towards. We love to be able to just leave the car and walk to attractions and restaurants.

I have been looking at several "casitas" as we like the

comforts of a home versus a stark hotel room. Any specific recommendations that are not too expensive would be appreciated. I have been going through cyber-rentals and home away and referring to previous travelers comments.

We will be traveling October 16-23rd , so the crowds should be down since it's after balloon festival.

We will definitely be exploring outside the town as well, including a ride up to TAOS.

thanks again..

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
21,474 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ist Time in Santa Fe- should I stay in town or away a bit?

There are many casitas worth looking at but few of the hotel rooms in the Plaza area are "sterile"

Check Chapelle Street Casitas, El Paradero B&B, Las Palomas, and so many more. Check on www.santafe.org

Santa Fe, NM
Level Contributor
52 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ist Time in Santa Fe- should I stay in town or away a bit?

staying downtown does not mean you have to stay on the plaza, that's two different things. nice small hotels just off the plaza: inn on the alameda, inn of the governors, old santa fe inn, all three are affordable and well-rated on ta. being in city center makes it easier to do all the special santa fe things and walk to them, since after all you want to get away and enjoy without driving. ask for free parking at hotels, in fact, ask how much is free or included. middle of october is a great time, lots of artists studio tours in the outlying northern villages, use your car for that (see a list of studio tours on newmexico.org), and town really quiets down after balloon fiesta in abq.

7. Re: Ist Time in Santa Fe- should I stay in town or away a bit?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 02 October 2009, 10:05
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
6,678 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ist Time in Santa Fe- should I stay in town or away a bit?

I would recommend a casita, which is more "typical" of a New Mexico experience, less "hotel-like." However it is true that many of the SF hotels are less generic than most cities.

You will also find that your concerns about noise, traffic, etc. to be unlikely. Santa Fe is known as the "City Different" and it is not really "city-ish." Few buildings are over 2-3 floors, most are adobe or adobe-inspired. Even though SF is the capital of NM, and the state capital building is in the "downtown" area, it is not like a typical "downtown" of other cities. There are few office buildings in fact. The central area, The Plaza, is tourist oriented with shops, a large "square" with benches, Native Americans selling good quality jewelry, etc. Most "traffic" is tourist and the streets in the area are largely one-way.

It is true that Cerrillos Road, a main drag going out of town is the (sort of) crowded, strip mall type place with the generic chain motels all the way out to I-25, and no where as attractive as "in-town."

I also recommend you drive to places surrounding the city (about 15 minutes of so from the Plaza): Bishops Lodge Road/Tesuque, Santa Fe Opera area, Hyde Park, Audubon Center, St. John's College, Museum Hill, Marcy Park, some of the neighborhoods, etc. to get a feel for how pretty the area can be. Also drives to Bandelier/Los Alamos area, Pecos area, Chimayo, Galisteo, Tent Rocks, Abiquiu, each an hour or less from SF will really add to your experience.

Enjoy.

cherry hill, nj
Level Contributor
6 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ist Time in Santa Fe- should I stay in town or away a bit?

Definitley without question stay in town. There are plenty of fabulous bed & breakfast and small luxury hotels down quiet streets, no traffic but just walk out your door for an easy walk to galleries and all there is to see and eat. The convenience is really tremendous. Just there in April. I stayed at Hacienda Nicholas. Quiet place, awesome breakfasts, lovely staff, quiet street, neighborhood but able to enjoy the beautiful santa fe weather through my walks. Avoid driving--you can do that at home. Use the car if you want ot venture out for a mountain drive or to Taos. Dont miss some of the outdoor spas-not to be seen anywhere like here.

I envy you going-wish I could go back tomorrow!

10. Re: Ist Time in Santa Fe- should I stay in town or away a bit?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 April 2010, 14:17