We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Santa Fe and Albuquerque

Boston...
Level Contributor
40 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Santa Fe and Albuquerque

My husband and I will be arriving in Albuquerque Nov 10, flying out Nov 16. Since we don't want to change hotels nightly, my thought is to spend 4 days in Santa Fe and the last 2 in Albuquerque. Will will be renting a car. I would like to visit Taos and also Acoma. Any suggestions for hotels, restaurants, things to do and places to go, what to absolutely not miss, and whether or not the 4 nights/2 nights plan is the best way to go. Thanks in advance for your help.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
21,583 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Santa Fe and Albuquerque

Your plan sounds good. Check out www.santafe.org and www.itsatrip.org for info on both Santa Fe and Albuq

There are so many hotels in these 2 cities, and also B&B's so hard to recommend something....

What is your price range? What kind of lodging do you prefer?

In Santa Fe my favorite places to dine are all budget to moderate... I live here and can't afford to eat at the high end places! Blue Corn Cafe, Ore House, The Shed, Coyote Cafe, El Farol.

In Abq we usually dine at Little Anita's near Old Town or the Frontier near the university.

Boston...
Level Contributor
40 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Santa Fe and Albuquerque

Thanks for your reply.

For lodging, I would prefer a non-chain place that has character and feels like it belongs in NM and nowhere else. My husband needs a TV and private bath. The max of our price range is $150/night, but cheaper would be nice. I have noticed that some rooms are discounted in November when we'll be visiting. I'd also like to be able to walk to the center of town.

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
2,169 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Santa Fe and Albuquerque

I would encourage a trip to Taos, and Taos Pueblo (3 miles NE of the downtown Plaza). The latter is always one of my "must sees" for Northern New Mexico. If you can take in Acoma, west of Albuquerque, all the better.

You might consider 3 days in Santa Fe, 1 in Taos, and 2 in Albuquerque.

With the extra day, you could leisurely travel to and from Taos via the "Low Road" along the Rio Grande River Gorge; and return via the "High Road" through picturesque, adobe Spanish villages, such as Trampas, Truchas, and Chimayo. (If the weather is nice...no snow.on the highway) The little chapel at the south end of Chimayo is another major attraction. The "Santuario" has drawn wayfarers seeking help from their ailments for decades, if not centuries. The "Restaurante de Chimayo," is also an excellent place to sample our New Mexican cuisine.

In Santa Fe, I would suggest you take a look at the "El Rey" motel, as it is a unique establishment. It is not downtown however, but a ways out on Cerrilos Road.

Here in Albuquerque there are so many accomodation choices. I would however recommend you base yourselves in the Old Town historic area, with Hotel Albuquerque of Old Town; Best Western Rio Grande; EconoLodge; and the Monterrey Non-Smokers Motel, being the most convenient to both Old Town, and it's adjacent museums of History & Art; Science & Natural History, and Atomic Power...to name just three. The Rattlesnake Museum in Old Town is interesting; as is the Turquoise Museum, just west of the Walgreen's, across from the SW corner of Old Town on Central Ave. (old "Route 66.") Enjoy your visit, and please get back to us if you need more particulars before you arrive.

Santa Fe, NM
Level Contributor
52 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Santa Fe and Albuquerque

Look on hotel websites first for special or promotional rates, they should all be listed by now for November and should be pretty obvious. If you like to talk to them, any spot worth its salt should also give you the same price on the phone, shouldn't need to go through Experdia or Orbitz for low rates. Rates will be much lower in SF by then, and you should be able to stay right downtown for a real SF feel in a non-chain spot. You can stage a daytrip up to Taos from Santa Fe, and Acoma should be part of your ABQ agenda. Something very special will be Tesuque Pueblo feast day on Nov. 12, check it out for the dancing regardless of weather, it's a real treat. A new dining spot is Milagro 139, midrange prices, ample portions and live music after 10pm. Have heard good things about Atrisco (at the DeVargas Mall, but don't let the mall location fool you, members of this the family have been serving NM food for years). Dinner for Two is actually that, $45 for two people, soup to nuts, haven't tried it, but have heard good things. And Whole Foods is always an option for take-out. Enjoy your NM stay!

Belmont...
Level Contributor
672 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Santa Fe and Albuquerque

I would second the recommendation to stay in/near Old Town, and would suggest a B and B in the area...there are several...Bottger Mansion, Cinnamon Morning are two favorites.

http://www.bottger.com/

http://www.cinnamonmorning.com/

Also the recently renovated former La Posada, now the Andaluz would be a top choice of mine as well. It seems that they have done an outstanding job in remodeling this place.

I think they have promotional rates @ 110.00 through January.

www.hotelandaluz.com/specials_and_packages/

Belmont...
Level Contributor
672 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Santa Fe and Albuquerque

Some favorite restaurants in and not in the Old Town area...

Slate St Cafe...either weekend brunch or dinner. We love this place.

Barelas Coffee Shop..closed Sundays. Great breakfast. Mostly locals.

Seasons in Old Town and Antiquity in Old Town for dinner.

Church Street Cafe in Old Town....hopefully their renovations will be done soon....it has made patio dining...interesting... In November you will be dining inside so the noise and everything associated with the addition they are building won't affect you.

Boston...
Level Contributor
40 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Santa Fe and Albuquerque

Thanks so much to all of you for your suggestions. I do think we'll change our overnight stays to 3 night in Santa Fe, one in Taos, and 2 in Albuquerque. Hopefully I'll get to the actual lodging this weekend and then can plan what to visit.

Thanks again. Your input has been invaluable.

8. Re: Santa Fe and Albuquerque

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 April 2010, 12:17