We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

marriott ko olina how far

melfort sask. canada
Level Contributor
581 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
marriott ko olina how far

how far away from wakiki beach is the marriott ko olina..

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,684 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: marriott ko olina how far

45 minutes to an hour, depending on traffic. Great place for kids...not so much for couples.

Toms River, New...
Destination Expert
for Kapolei
Level Contributor
1,972 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: marriott ko olina how far

:Yes, about 45 minutes to an hour but its a nice drive up to the north shore from there.. I do disagree about couples vs kids. As adults we enjoy Ko Olina quite a bit. Coming from the metro area we enjoy the quiet of Ko Olina versus Waikiki which feels too frantic for a Hawaiian vacation (IMHO). Depending on when you go there may be very few children but the area is big enough that you can be as near or as far from the little ones as you wish.

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,684 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: marriott ko olina how far

When you get stuck in a tiny room with a REALLY tiny Lanai overlooking the garage it ain't for couples!

Sydney
Level Contributor
152 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: marriott ko olina how far

Hi we have just stayed at marriott Ko Olina and drove from the airport to there and then from there to the waikiki. If you decide to stay there do not get your directions from mapquest they tell you to turn down a road that is blocked off. It meant that we got to see some of the area that we did not plan to but finally found it. On the way back to waikiki we asked on of the concereirges and they had printed out directions to give us that were wonderful. In fact that had printed out directions for most places and how to get back to Ko Olina. The most informed concereirges we found in Hawaii. They also tell you what time the peak hours are for traffic so you know what is the best time to come from Waikiki or go to Waikiki. We stayed in the newest building and loved it. We have 4 children and the main bedroom had a king sized bed and a bathtub that you could pull back the shutters and watch tv from. I felt very spoilt. I was suprised how few children there was when we were there last week but that could have been because school was back on the mainland. Although we could see part of the refinery from our room we felt it was fine as we spent most of our daylight hours out and about or on their gorgeous grounds.

Olathe, Kansas
Level Contributor
310 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: marriott ko olina how far

I just left the Ko Olina this morning. It's actually only about 30 minutes, which is what it took us leaving at 6:15 on a Monday night. We left our room at 6:12 and arrived at the Hilton Hawaiian Village (which is really cool by the way if you are thinking of staying on Waikiki) on Waikiki at 6:45. Not a bad drive at all, just make sure to time it correctly. If you're not used to traffic, don't head east between 6:30 and 8:30-9 in the a.m.. We left our hotel this morning at 6:00 a.m., and it took 25 minutes to the airport as there were some very minor slowdowns, but again nothing horrible.

Both are about the same from the North Shore, though it takes a slightly longer from Waikiki because you run into traffic, where you don't in Ko Olina.

One poster had said it's not for couples, but I would probably have to disagree. Its not for some couples, but I do believe it is great for romantic couples who like relaxing. Walking the lagoons at sunset with 5 or 10 people around is much more romantic than walking it with 5 thousand people at Waikiki.

I didn't see a lot of kids there, of course they are in school now, but there weren't many.

I know you will receive a lot of opinions on where to stay, its quite an easy decision in reality. If you like nightlife, shopping, and don't mind being around people and traffic, Waikiki is easily the place for you.

If you are going for a relaxing time, hanging out around the lagoons, don't want to deal with traffic around your resort, and want to relax, Ko Olina is your place. Its much nicer than the North Shore's Turtle Bay, another more secluded resort, and as I said much more romantic than Waikiki.

If you're one who likes to relax like my wife and I, you'll spend one afternoon in Waikiki, which is what we do. If you like the action, make sure to stay at Waikiki.

I'll be posting my review of the Ko Olina Beach club this evening so it should be on in the next couple of days.

Have Fun!

new jersey
Level Contributor
1,655 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: marriott ko olina how far

I would also say about 30-40 minutes - depending of course on traffic and the time of day.

We never stayed there ( I won't give up my HHV) but did visit the Lagoons ... really liked it! Didn't feel crowded at all to us... very pretty.

Did notice this trip that there is way more commerce in the area... lots of shops and looks like more restaurants too.

ALOHA and have fun Grandparents... it's getting really close for you now!

Philly
Level Contributor
290 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: marriott ko olina how far

I'll throw in another recommendation for the Ko Olina area. My wife and I went in February and spent part of our honeymoon there. We actually stayed at the JW Marriott Ihilani at Ko Olina, but spent a lot of time around all of the lagoons. I'd definitely recommend it for couples!

In terms of getting to Waikiki, it really does depend on your time of day. I would say 45 minutes is about average. I always enjoyed the drive.

melfort sask. canada
Level Contributor
581 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: marriott ko olina how far

thanks alot everybody we have friends staying at the ko olina and wanted to get togeather one of us will drive to meet others, we should beable to make it work..about 40 min and it is along the north shore it that about right..

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
47,866 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: marriott ko olina how far

Ko Olina is not along the north shore. It's west of Pearl Harbor on the leeward side of the island.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
55,196 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: marriott ko olina how far

Ko'olina is "ewa" (west ) of Pearl Harbor. If you are in Waikiki, plan for them to visit after the morning commute in to Waikiki.

If you plan to meet them to visit the North Shore, you might meet some place like Pearlridge Shopping Center and take one car.