We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sheraton Waikiki (w/ ocean view) or westin (city view)?

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
65 posts
Save Topic
Sheraton Waikiki (w/ ocean view) or westin (city view)?

What would you go for? An ocean front room at Sheraton waikiki or a city view room at Westin Surfrider ?

I have never been to waikiki and was wondering if from a location/other points of view, there would be a preference for one vs the other?

I'm getting these two options as a SPG member and am leaning towards the Sheraton with the ocean front view.

Please suggest!

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
3,066 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sheraton Waikiki (w/ ocean view) or westin (city view)?

Ocean view. Nothing better than sitting on your lani in the morning sipping coffee or at the end of the day watching the sunset. It's a view you will relive over and over when you are back home!

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,677 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sheraton Waikiki (w/ ocean view) or westin (city view)?

If you are talking true oceanfront...go for it! Some rooms called "oceanview" may involve standing on your tip-toes and craning your neck from the lanai to see a slice of water. but oceanfront can't be beat.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
45,244 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sheraton Waikiki (w/ ocean view) or westin (city view)?

As much as I love the Moana Surfrider, I would not take a city view. Lotsa street noise. If the room is in the TOWER - then it could be OK.

Ocean front at the Sheraton should be very nice! But go over to the Moana some evening and sit under the Banyan Tree for live music and drinks - and an amazing view.

Iowa City, Iowa
Level Contributor
1,557 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sheraton Waikiki (w/ ocean view) or westin (city view)?

Pretty much agree with the posts above-we love the Moana Surfrider-go there every February, so, I know the lay out quite well, I wouldn't recommend a city view room-will really be noisy-so, go for the Sheraton-enjoy.

Dallas
Level Contributor
23,545 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sheraton Waikiki (w/ ocean view) or westin (city view)?

If it is a true ocean front view, or even just a decent ocean view, it is a no brainer. Go with the Sheraton.

I have stayed at the Westin several times and absolutely would not stay in anything but the tower rooms and even then a city view can be very noisy. Absolutely don't book a room in the Banyan Wing in a city view.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
65 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Sheraton Waikiki (w/ ocean view) or westin (city view)?

all, thanks a ton. I think we have the true ocean front with a lanai and chairs..its also in the renovated section of the sheraton. Looking at the virtual tour, it seems like a 'real' ocean front..so its great to hear that the folks here recommend the ocean view room. now the hard part..that wait till we get there!

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
55,109 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sheraton Waikiki (w/ ocean view) or westin (city view)?

Personally I would rather be in the Moana Surfrider, a Westin Resort (Not the Westin Surfrider, sorry a pet peeve of mine, Starwood did a great thing in honoring the Moana, Waikiki's oldest hotel by NOT calling it a Westin like it was any other Westin in the country, they let the Moana name stay up front).

I am not a fan of the Sheraton, it is just too big and impersonal and not "Hawaiian", the Moana is a throwback to old Honolulu.

It is like I would rather stay at La Mansión del Rio in San Antonio than the Marriott Rivercenter, I will take grace and charm over the standard hotel anytime.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
65 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Sheraton Waikiki (w/ ocean view) or westin (city view)?

thanks, the only reason i shortened its name that way is because otherwise it wouldnt let me fit in the name in the subject line..

nwf
NSW Australia
Level Contributor
910 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sheraton Waikiki (w/ ocean view) or westin (city view)?

Hi there,

From what I have seen the term "City View." only means "Footpath level'.

If you pay the right price for low standard then feel free to accept it as it is.

All the best from NWF....

Iowa City, Iowa
Level Contributor
1,557 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sheraton Waikiki (w/ ocean view) or westin (city view)?

nwf-you crack me up-I have seen the side walk called ":footpath" in a long time-lol.