We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 nights in the middle of the week...for free!

los angeles
Level Contributor
1,086 posts
103 reviews
Save Topic
2 nights in the middle of the week...for free!

Won a raffle!!!!! airfare and 2 nights free at the Aqua Continental in Oahu...I am aware it's not the fanciest hotel on the planet, but who cares, it's free, and has some very nice reviews for ppl who didn't suffer bedbugs!

I will look around at the links already posted, but thought I would post here anyway...

Thinking of not renting a car...is this a HUGE mistake? Is there a hike or two that are can't miss hikes? Wife and I can handle maybe 1-3 miles in each direction or something....that being said, might just be nice to do nothing but lay on the beach for 2 days...

Something I have always wanted to do, but never done is swim with dolphins (NO, I have not seen the Cove and I do like to pretend they would actually be having fun too to swim with me, lol)...since the airfare and the hotel are free, I was thinking of splurging and maybe trying to do this...anyone know how much this type of thing costs, how long they take you out for, and if there a place nearby/near the hotel to book?

Also, anyone's can't miss beach view/romantic restaurant for dinner?

We'll be going either in June or August...is the snorkeling going to be good/safe then at the beach near the hotel?

Thanks everyone, I've been to Kauai but now looking forward to seeing Oahu/Honolulu...it'll be a snapshot but fun still!

Calgary, Alberta
Level Contributor
869 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 nights in the middle of the week...for free!

We will be staying at the ACS this weekend.

My 2 sister have both used ACS for every trip to hawaii (5) and they have loved it. Not too far from the ocean, great food close by, easy access to THE BUS for transportation.

Congrats on the win

los angeles
Level Contributor
1,086 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 nights in the middle of the week...for free!

Thanks Frozen!!!

Anyone else? Will we need a car to explore something that is can't miss? Or should we just hang on the water for 2 days?

Any info on the dolphins, anybody?? thanks!!

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
47,082 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 nights in the middle of the week...for free!

You can pretend all you want to about the dolphins, but that doesn't help them any!! I guarantee you they would rather be left alone than swim with a human!! You won't find anything near your hotel for this and probably will end up going out of Waianae for info, on trips, try www.lmgtfy.com

Snorkeling the Waikiki area is mediocre at best but if you really want to, try Queens Beach around the MLCD area. Snorkel between the groin and the Natatorium. You will see some fish and a lot of dead coral.

los angeles
Level Contributor
1,086 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 nights in the middle of the week...for free!

thanks ms!!!

I don't want them to be harmed, I'm not trying to hurt them, I just want to swim with them lol :)

thanks again for the info

merlin666
Level Contributor
125 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2 nights in the middle of the week...for free!

There is no need for a car on Oahu. The Bus goes to most of the visit-worthy locations, and even after 4 visits to the island (almost 30 days in total) I have not felt the need for a rental. There are quite a few things to splurge on, such as a snorkel tour on catamaran with dolphin watching, or a helicopter tour (which I have not done yet). What I would do: book a few nights more, two is way too short!

nova scotia canada
Level Contributor
69 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 2 nights in the middle of the week...for free!

I think you can swim with dolphins at Sea Life Park. Not the natural/wild setting you were hoping for, I imagine, but still...

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
27,356 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: 2 nights in the middle of the week...for free!

Absolutely rent a car. You can see the island much better with a car.

After you pay for shuttles, cabs & buses, you won't save any $$ by not renting a car.

Can you add some days for a reasonable $$ amount?

lots of info:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g29222-i37-k647862…

Driving Tours, Maps, North Shore, Websites & more.

tripadvisor.com/AllReviews-g29222-Oahu_Hawai…

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
10,560 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: 2 nights in the middle of the week...for free!

Unless you plan on just totally vegging-out at the beach and cruising Waikiki and Downtown for a couple of days, and that would not even be near enough to scratch the surface of Honolulu, you should follow Dusty's advice and get a car.

I am a big fan of the bus, but with such a short time, it don't cut it to the outlying areas of the island. Plus, if I recall correctly parking at the Continental Surf is not too pricey, or you can park three blocks away at the Waikiki Banyan for like $10 a night.

But, I think you should just stick to Waikiki and Town. Otherwise it is going to be one hectic, stressful and tiring trip.

Walk around and enjoy the world-class shopping, sights and eats in the District. Hike Diamond Head, or at least walk on the coastal road out to the beach lookout. Walk or take a bus downtown to the capital District and Chinatown. Have a drink at the beachside Moana, Royal Hawaiian or Halekulani bars.

As a bonus, you are real close to some good restaurants. Across the street in the Royal Grove Hotel is the Me Korean BBQ, cheap and very tasty stuff and Ruffage Natural Foods (it turns into a sushi joint at night). In the Pacific Monarch, also just across the street in Jinroku a fabulous Japanese restaurant. And almost next door is Hy's Steakhouse, a great and slightly upscale chop house.

Also, you can swim with the dolpjins at the Kahala Resort. Not cheap,but a lot closer and more refined experience tha Sea Life Park.

9. Re: 2 nights in the middle of the week...for free!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 September 2010, 13:23