We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Memorial Day Weekend Sale 2014

Which Honolulu hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
235 posts
109 reviews
Save Topic
Memorial Day Weekend Sale 2014

My husband and I will be travelling and staying in Waikiki for 8 nights in May and some of the stay will be during the Memorial weekend.

Is it worth waiting for the Memorial weekend to do our shopping? Are there big sales everywhere?

Anything else to consider? ie book restaurants well in advance?

Places closed?

Thanks so much for the advice over this time.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
36 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Memorial Day Weekend Sale 2014

We were there Memorial Day weekend in 2013, it wasn't too bad with crowds, and the sales are always great in Hawaii compared to here. We didn't find too much problem getting into restaurants, we had the usual 1hour wait for the Cheesecake factory and a dinner at the Outrigger, but nothing was too much.

I would highly recommend the Lantern Floating ceremony at Ala Moana Beach, see this link, it was really beautiful. http://www.lanternfloatinghawaii.com/ There were tens of thousands of people, but still gorgeous and we didn't regret going or taking two kids.

There was also an extra special tour that the National Parks run at Pearl Harbor around Memorial Weekend. Hubby in particular really enjoyed this.

Have fun

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
43,469 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Memorial Day Weekend Sale 2014

People who live here will be out and about most of the beaches, doing a BBQ etc. Not many will be in the restaurants. You might have less crowds if you did your some of your shopping on the holiday itself. Things like banks, government offices etc. will be closed but most of the retail establishments will be open.

The lantern ceremony is awesome and inspiring but very crowded.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
235 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Memorial Day Weekend Sale 2014

Thanks for all the great tips- really looking forward to it.

Do you think that the Outlet malls will be packed over that period? Should we go at a different time, or are there specific sales for the holiday?

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
42,856 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Memorial Day Weekend Sale 2014

I would not worry about shopping over Memorial Day. Pick up a StarAdvertiser (Honolulu newspaper) and watch for advertisements, and perhaps coupons. Many, many retailers get a jump on the long weekend with sales that begin on Friday. Or Thursday! It's not that Memorial Day is a huge sale weekend ... it's just become the norm that retailers want to get the jump on each other.

Memorial Day unofficially marks the beginning of summer and high tourist season - but I would not be concerned.

Some restaurants and activities ... always should be booked ahead.

Government offices and public schools will be closed ... many private companies ... but not retail or restaurants or activities/excursions. Buses will run ... possibly on an altered schedule. The Polynesian Cultural Center is closed on Sundays ... I don't know about Memorial Day.

The Waikele Outlet Mall will be on a regular schedule - if not expanded. It is small by American standards - and it is out in the middle of the Island. I doubt that it will be packed ... well, maybe with Aussies! :o)

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
235 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Memorial Day Weekend Sale 2014

HA- yes we Aussies do like our Hawaii shopping. It's just SOOOOOO much better and cheaper than in Australia.

Thanks for the tip about the newspaper- much appreciated.

6. Re: Memorial Day Weekend Sale 2014

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 February 2015, 14:19