We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Summer stay

Oxford, Mississippi
Level Contributor
44 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Summer stay

Where are the safest areas to try to stay for the entire summer. I need a 3 month lease and am not familiar with the area. Also if there are any dangerous areas to stay away from I would like to know that too. Thanks!

4 replies to this topic
Oahu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1,638 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Summer stay

What brings you to Vicksburg? Summer job? Just for the heck of it? If the former, they might have some suggestions for you though if you're in Oxford like your location says there's no reason you couldn't come visit for a weekend here or there between now and next summer and get a feel for the place.

Are you looking to lease an apartment somewhere or a house? That would affect recommendations as well.

But mostly you might want to try a site like City Data instead since TA is really for vacationers: http://www.city-data.com/forum/mississippi/

Oxford, Mississippi
Level Contributor
44 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Summer stay

I have recently moved from out of state to Oxford. It is my son who will be working in Vicksburg this summer. I am not familiar with the area and thought someone local could help. I will definitely use the link you provided. He needs a short term lease which may be difficult to locate. He will be working long hours and will just basically need a safe place to sleep at night.

Oahu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1,638 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Summer stay

I'm a semi-local, my family is all there and I spent most of my teens there, just don't live there anymore. :)

Depending on where he's working (is it for the Corps, maybe?), he should definitely ask for recommendations. If they have other people there for the summer, he might be able to find a roommate that way or something.

Are there specific parts of town you've already been looking at?

Oxford, Mississippi
Level Contributor
44 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Summer stay

He is doing a summer internship at Ergon refinery. He just received the offer so we haven't looked yet. The housing they have for students is not available this summer so he is on his own. Thanks for any suggestions.

Reply to: Summer stay
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Vicksburg