We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
32,801 posts
466 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report

We did a weekend trip to Vicksburg to tour the city and the Vicksburg National Battlefield Park. On the way to Vicksburg we drove through Jackson to see the downtown area and the State Capitol building. We stayed at the La Quinta Inn in Vicksburg which was very nice and the hotel had a good hot breakfast included. The day we arrived we drove to downtown Vicksburg and went along the Mississippi River to the Catfish Row Children's art project. The murals along the river were very interesting and depicted the history of the area. We drove down Washington Street which has a lot of nice shops and restaurants then went to see the Old Courthouse and drove some of the scenic routes that were listed in the travel guide provided by the hotel when we checked in. We drove across the Mississippi River to get a good idea of this year's drought on the water levels. We had heard about the problems navigating the river on national news programs. We went back downtown to eat dinner at Rusty's Riverfront and it was excellent. We had the three combo meal with grilled grouper, fried shrimp and Maryland crab cakes. The next day we did a tour of the Vicksburg National Battlefield. We started in the visitor's center with a 20 minute introductory video on the battle then purchased souvenirs and an audio CD tour for the park. The audio CD tour is a great way to do a tour of the park. The battlefield is one of the best and most impressive that we've visited. It ranks right up there with the Gettysburg National Battlefield. We took time to walk to many of the monuments. The USS Cairo museum was excellent and the boat being brought up from the bottom of a nearby river was technologically impressive. The tour of the park took us over 4 hours. We left the park and headed back downtown to see if any of the old homes were still opened for tours but since it was late in the afternoon none were still offering tours so we just walked and took photos of the Anchuca House, Duff Green House and Martha Vick House. We then headed to Cracker Barrel for dinner. Vicksburg is an interesting old southern town full of Civil War history. We really enjoyed our visit!!

Edited: 13 August 2012, 10:44
Mentioned in this post
Vicksburg
Vicksburg
Mississippi
Jackson
Jackson
Mississippi
Old Courthouse
Old Courthouse
361 Reviews
Vicksburg, MS
Rusty's Riverfront Grill
Rusty's Riverfront Grill
947 Reviews
Vicksburg, MS
Gettysburg
Gettysburg
Pennsylvania
Mississippi
Level Contributor
12,999 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report

Thanks for your TR Peach Belle. VB is a great city to visit. I hope your trip home was pleasant. Come back again soon.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
45 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report

Thank you very much for the Trip Report. Glad you enjoyed the Battlefield, I'm really looking forward to it. We shall be heading there next week so will be sure to check out the restaurants you went to.

Houston
Level Contributor
11 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report

I really enjoyed reading your report. Thanks for sharing. I am planning a trip from Houston, TX through Lousiana and Mississippi. Vicksburg sounds like a worthwhile place to spend a full day or more.

Mentioned in this post
Houston
Houston
Texas Gulf Coast, TX
Mississippi
Mississippi
United States
Vicksburg
Vicksburg
Mississippi
Fort Worth, Texas
Level Contributor
332 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report

PeachBelle,

I just came across this and I remember you from the Yellowstone Forum last year!! (BTW, we had an amazing trip, saw a black bear, 5 grizzlies, several wolves including the white alpha female Hayden Valley wolf and an all black wolf in the Norris area. I really should post that trip report one of these days.) :)

Anyway, we are going to Disney World this year now that my son is 5 and it will be the last time we can go without being a school holiday. We are planning to stop at the Vicksburg National Military Park on our road trip to Orlando. We will only have about 1-2 hours, and we definitely want to see the USS Cairo. I was wondering if you recall any stops that offered a nice view of the Mississippi River? If so which one(s) would you recommend?

After this year, we will be back to our nature/national park trips. LOL! I prefer to head to the mountains to escape the Texas heat in the middle of summer.

Anyway, thanks in advance for your feedback!!

Lisa

Edited: 18 March 2013, 06:45
Mentioned in this post
Vicksburg National Military Park
Vicksburg National...
2,347 Reviews
Vicksburg, MS
Orlando
Orlando
Central Florida, FL
Texas
Texas
United States
Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
32,801 posts
466 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report

A couple of stops in the cemetery have views of the river and if you go downtown and are near the old courthouse and look down toward the river that is also a nice view. Hope you enjoy your visit. We are off to Colorado, Yellowstone and Jackson Hole in September again.

Mentioned in this post
Fort Worth, Texas
Level Contributor
332 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report

Thank you!! Enjoy your trip. I had a Sept trip planned in 2011, and something came up where we had to cancel. I'm sure it will be gorgeous!! I'm already working on next summer's trip. So far it looks like a CO trip, stopping at Great Sand Dunes National Park and basing our trip out of Glenwood Springs. We went skiing there over the Christmas break and loved it. We'll be able to hike the Hanging Lake trail and see the Maroon Bells near Aspen.

Say Hi to the bison, bears, marmots and wolves for us!! :)

Mentioned in this post
Maroon Bells
Maroon Bells
2,092 Reviews
Aspen, CO
Aspen
Aspen
Colorado
Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
32,801 posts
466 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report

We did a trip to the SW this past September- Arches NP, Monument Valley, Mesa Verde, Durango, San Juan Skyway, Silverton, Ouray, Telluride and Santa Fe and Albuquerque. You would love the SW section of CO so if time take a drive thru Durango and San Juan Skwyway and then head to Glenwood Springs.

Mentioned in this post
Durango
Durango
Colorado
San Juan Skyway
San Juan Skyway
56 Reviews
Colorado
Telluride
Telluride
Colorado
Santa Fe
Santa Fe
New Mexico
Albuquerque
Albuquerque
New Mexico
San Juan
San Juan
Puerto Rico
Birmingham, AL
Level Contributor
1,112 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip Report

Lisa,

Dont mean to "butt in" here, but since your post is actually in the forum, i assume it is open. IMO the best view of the River in town is at the MS welcome center, right on the river (state line),on I-20, exit 1A, Washington Street. A good place to stop anyway, (good info, clean restrooms, etc.) the grounds are wide and open where your 5 YO can run & climb. He can even climb up on a model cannon. We have made lots of family pictures there, and perhaps someone there can advise you on how to best spend your limited time in the Military Park.

Have fun,

Miller

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
32,801 posts
466 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip Report

Miller,

Yes thanks!! There are nice views from the Visitors Center.

The park rangers are very helpful too and can give info on the best way to see the park in a couple of hours.

10. Re: Trip Report

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 March 2014, 01:15
Get answers to your questions about Vicksburg