We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling from Vicksburg to Myrtle Beach

Grapeland, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Traveling from Vicksburg to Myrtle Beach

Hello,

We are traveling from East Texas to Vicksburg for 1 night. Going to do some touring and then on toward Myrtle Beach. Where would you suggest a safe place to stop for the night along the way? Probably around 6 hours from Vicksburg.

Thanks for any info.

5 replies to this topic
Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
30,958 posts
446 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traveling from Vicksburg to Myrtle Beach

We travel that route from Texas to visit family.

Look at stopping in Oxford AL or Douglasville GA.

Lots of hotels and restaurants.

Oahu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1,606 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Traveling from Vicksburg to Myrtle Beach

6 hours from Vicksburg on I-20 will get you pretty close to (or in) Atlanta (at least at the speed I drive :) I used to live in Augusta and my hometown is Vicksburg so I made that drive _a lot_). I've only stayed at a couple hotels around that way but I did stay at the Drury Inn by ATL one night all on my lonesome and didn't feel unsafe.

There really aren't a lot of biggish towns between Birmingham and Atlanta, but I don't know that anywhere would be unsafe (unless when you say stop you mean you're planning on parking somewhere/camping? I got nothing on that count).

EDIT: just saw Peachbelle's reponse: I've liked Oxford when I would make pit stops there. :)

Edited: 02 July 2016, 03:32
Grapeland, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Traveling from Vicksburg to Myrtle Beach

Thank you both so much. I will look for hotel in Oxford AL or Douglasville GA for our stop over. Knew we didn't want to stay right in Atlanta - too big & traffic. Hoping we can whiz through on I-20! We are not camping for sure:) We are 2 couples in our late 50's, early 60's and haven't been on a road trip in quite a few years (been flying)- don't know how far we can sit in a car now days...lol Afraid to just wing it and stop when we feel like it - may not can find a decent room for the night.

Appreciate your time and help.

Oahu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1,606 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Traveling from Vicksburg to Myrtle Beach

I've never had an issue driving I-20 through Atlanta. Seems like most of the traffic gets hung up on the loop around the city. If you can, I'd try to time it so I'm not driving through during rush hour though, just to be sure.

If you're looking for somewhere to stop for lunch after that and don't mind making a slight detour off I-20, there's a place called "Betsy's on the Corner" in Aiken, SC that's pretty tasty. Plus it's a nice downtown area in general but I don't know what your itinerary is like. :)

Grapeland, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Traveling from Vicksburg to Myrtle Beach

Analise,

I will add Betsy's to my list :) Thank you for your post.

Reply to: Traveling from Vicksburg to Myrtle Beach
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Vicksburg