We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

transport in Cinci

Michigan
Level Contributor
156 posts
118 reviews
Save Topic
transport in Cinci

We would like to use the Cincinnati Bell Connector and Southbank Shuttle to get around. Do the two systems interconnect? Can we get on one in the downtown area and take it across the river to Newport for the riverboat ride and to Hofbrauhaus? Are there separate tickets for each system? Would the metro make better sense? Any tips would be appreciated.

6 replies to this topic
Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
175 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: transport in Cinci

Good Morning,

The two systems don't really interconnect, but I'm sure the stops will work out for you.

The connector has a stop right Great American Ballpark , and the Southbank Shuttle also goes there or very near there. I'm afraid I have never ridden on the shuttle, but I see it down there all the time.

You can get a connector 1 day pass for 2.00 , loop around from the stadium , downtown and Over the Rhine all you want. I think the shuttle tickets are also very reasonably priced. Once in Newport, it's walkable everywhere.

Have a great trip,

Doug Cincinnati

Columbus, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Columbus
Level Contributor
783 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: transport in Cinci

They’re part of two distinct transit systems.

The streetcar is just on the Ohio side and loops around downtown and Over The Rhine.

The Southbank Shuttle is a bus service that the Transit Authority of Northern KY runs that goes along the Covington and Newport waterfronts and across to downtown Cincinnati. So if you wanted to go between Hofbrauhaus in Newport and downtown Cincinnati, that is the one you would use.

I’m not sure exactly where the two services overlap, but downtown Cincinnati is pretty compact, so I doubt you’d have to walk far if you needed to go from the Shuttle to the streetcar or vice-versa.

Metro is the broader SW Ohio bus system. If you wanted to go anywhere outside of downtown/OTR without driving, you would use that.

Michigan
Level Contributor
156 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: transport in Cinci

Thanks, that is really helpful!

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
5 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: transport in Cinci

You can also walk from Cincinnati across the purple people bridge and it will take you right into Newport on the Levee. Hoffbrau House is right across the street.

Level Contributor
2,495 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: transport in Cinci

https:/…getting-around

This link will give you easy direct access to route maps on all systems and also locations of bike stations. From the Connecter to the shuttle will be anywhere between a half block to a block and a half. The purple people bridge is awesome to walk. Pay close attention to the destination of the shuttle. I use to use all the transit systems before the streetcar and bike days. Generally speaking they run ontime in the summer on both sides. The square can be a bit confusing at first. A very cool city indeed. Have lots of fun.

Level Contributor
2,495 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: transport in Cinci

Just to add one, the SB shuttle is $1. There is no fare connection with either the street car, shuttle, or bus service. If just staying in the central valley the street car and shuttle should be fine. If you use Metro or Tank normal buses, you can pay extra to transfer, but only on other buses, and transfer are different per some routes and/or bus systems. I believe all Tank buses go to or through downtown Cincinnati. If taking normal buses, pay attention to the Tank Express buses, which are $2, and the four different zones on Metro. Beyond zone one you must show your zone card to exit. Also to note, 50¢ gets you on the Metro riverfront parking bus circle route. This can be handy for crossing east/west through downtown.

I wonder how many people will get free rides? Grand Rapids has a BRT route that is set up likewise and i always love the heads that pop in and run back out if they spot security. Lol

Also keep bus #1 in mind.

Edited: 09 June 2018, 09:24
Reply to: transport in Cinci
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Cincinnati