We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cincinnati vs KY

Wildwood, Missouri
Level Contributor
501 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
Cincinnati vs KY

Should I stay in Cincinnati or on the KY side of the river? Not going to ball game, just want a cultural, restaurant, bar, historic experience. Which side of the river do you recommend? I’ll be staying in a hotel and would like to walk to restaurants, etc... staying in August. Thanks

Mentioned in this post
7 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
2,631 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cincinnati vs KY

I highly suggest Cincy side. While there are bars and food of plenty on both sides, downtown Cincy you will not have to traverse in between the NKY districts of Newport on the Levy, Newport downtown, Covington Madison ave, Covington gateway, Covington Mainstress, and Bellview. in Cincinnati, the center is very compact and central and OTR are fully connected, and even easier with the street car. Fountain Square, the Banks, and OTR along Vine and Main are all happening places. And you can still easily visit across the river via the Kentucky Shuttle. The shuttle and the street car I believe cost $1 each. Both sides have much to offer in terms of nightlife and history.

Mentioned in this post
Newport
Newport
Rhode Island
Covington
Covington
Kentucky
Madison
Madison
Wisconsin
Fountain Square
Fountain Square
1,143 Reviews
Cincinnati, OH
Kentucky
Kentucky
United States
Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
5 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cincinnati vs KY

I would suggest the Cincinnati side. There are also bike rentals located throughout downtown. You can walk across the purple people bridge and it takes you right into Newport on the Levee. The Hoffbrau House is right across the street from there. Downtown Cincinnati has a lot of festivities in the summer. Fountain Square and the surrounding area has a lot of eateries and bars. Enjoy!

Mentioned in this post
Newport on the Levee
Newport on the Levee
414 Reviews
Newport, KY
Fountain Square
Fountain Square
1,143 Reviews
Cincinnati, OH
Wildwood, Missouri
Level Contributor
501 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cincinnati vs KY

Thanks for suggestions. Last nite I booked Hotel Covington cause it seemed special and totally cool place to stay. Guess I’ll walk across bridge to Cincinnati. Also want to see those murals along the walls. Recommend hotel choice? I’ll b there on a Tuesday afternoon only.

Mentioned in this post
Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,050 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cincinnati vs KY

Since you picked Covington I would recommend taking the Southbank Shuttle ($1 each way).

Mentioned in this post
Covington
Covington
Kentucky
Chillicothe, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Ohio, Sandusky
Level Contributor
3,698 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cincinnati vs KY

Hotel Covington has great history and is a beautiful boutique style hotel. But I don't think it's retained the same historic charm the Hilton Netherlands (art deco era) or the Cincinnatian (Victorian era) manage to do. You'll still enjoy yourself!!!

Mentioned in this post
Covington
Covington
Kentucky
Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
180 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cincinnati vs KY

Hello,

Even with your choice of hotel across the river , you can still see a lot of the city in a very short amount of time if you use the shuttle and the streetcar (look up the Cincinnati Bell Connector)

The shuttle has a stop near the stadium , and you can use the streetcar (connector) to go the rest of the way through downtown and Over the Rhine. I believe the connector calls the most southern stop at the stadium the "Banks" stop , and it basically goes north and south, very easy to navigate. The most northern stop lets you out right at the door of Rhinegest Brewery , which is one of my favorites. Between those two stops , who know how many places for some form of nightlife, dozens, at least.

The connector has a day pass available for 2.00 , get on and off when and where you want.

Look up downtown establishment, as well as Over the Rhine bars and restaurants, you could get to a few and see some murals.

Have fun, next time you should stay longer!

Doug Cincinnati

Mentioned in this post
cincinnati, ohio
Level Contributor
3,098 posts
253 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cincinnati vs KY

Each side has its own charm and atmosphere.

Ky. is more river oriented and you'll want to "do the river"(one drink at each marina), hit the Aquarium, and walk up town to a couple neat microbreweries.

Cincy has a lot too. The Carousel at Smale, Moerlein, and grab the streetcar to move you to Over The Rhine(OTR) for the Brewery District with Findley Market, some trendy eateries, and Rhineguist Brewery. Fountain Square is the heart of downtown at 5th & Vine surrounded by all sorts of places plus the museums like CAC and the Taft by Lytle Park.

Click on the "things to do" icon above for a list.

Mentioned in this post
Fountain Square
Fountain Square
1,143 Reviews
Cincinnati, OH
Reply to: Cincinnati vs KY
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Cincinnati