We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What percentage of DEET should we use for mid-late June?

2 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
What percentage of DEET should we use for mid-late June?

Long time listener, first time caller. My sister and I are flying to Yellowstone tomorrow (YUP!!). We'll be staying in Roosevelt for 5 days, Lake Lodge Cabins for 3, and Mammoth for 2, and plan to do a ton of early morning birding and hiking.

The Repel 40% DEET didn't show up in the mail, though we do have permethrin for our clothes. Do you think that the Deep Woods Off with 30% DEET, combined with the Permethrin treated clothing, will be enough? I'm trying to figure out if I should plan a special trip to REI after work for 40% or 100% DEET. Any advice on DEET percentage would be appreciated!

Mentioned in this post
Lake Lodge Cabins
Lake Lodge Cabins
787 Reviews
Yellowstone National Park, WY
5 replies to this topic
Billings, Montana
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
6,728 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: What percentage of DEET should we use for mid-late June?

My recommendation would be to use the smallest % DEET that you can that keeps the mosquitoes and flies away. I know that's not a very specific answer but everyone is different. Are you mosquito magnets? I have everything from 30% to 100% DEET in my "Get Outside Montana" bag (yup, it's really has that printed on it). I've only used 80-100% when we're backpacking in the Beartooth Mountains in August. The most I've ever had to use in Yellowstone Park was 40%. While I've treated clothes with Permethrin for backpacking, I've never done it for my trips to Yellowstone Park (multiple trips each year). I've seen DEET spray on the general stores in Yellowstone Park but I've never paid attention to the % of DEET in them.

My grandson and I will be back in the park for our annual 6 day June trip on Sunday. It will be the 4th trip in four weeks for me. It looks like your trip will overlap with ours. We're at Roosevelt the nights of June 10,11, and 12th and then at Lake Lodge the nights of June 13 and 14th. If you see a light silver/blue Subaru Outback with Montana plates (that say Yellowstone National Park) with a black Yakima skybox with a ton of stickers on it, that it me. My grandson is tall and will be 20 in August and I'm a short chubby grandma. I think we're pretty easy to spot. We have two scopes so if you see us at a pullout with scopes out, please come talk to us. We love letting people look through our scopes.

We've had some awesome wildlife sightings the last three weekends. If you're going to do early morning birding and hiking, please make sure you have bear spray and know how to use it. If you're interested in seeing a Perigrine Falcon nest there is one just south of the Calcite Springs Overlook . If there are people with scopes pointing down at the 2nd pullout past the overlook's parking lot that is what they are looking at. I have some great videos and still pics of the female on the nest. The eggs should hatch sometime this weekend or early next week. There is also a golden eagle nest down the Slough Creek Campground Road. You need binoculars or a scope to see the eagle on the nest. There is also an active heron rookery that you can see with binoculars at the Nez Perce Ford Picnic Area just south of the Mud Volcano Area. If you're interested in seeing any videos of the above nest areas let me know and I will post them in here.

Deb

Edited: 07 June 2018, 02:42
Mentioned in this post
Montana
Montana
United States
Yellowstone Park Hotel
Yellowstone Park Hotel
641 Reviews
West Yellowstone, MT
Yakima
Yakima
Washington
Slough Creek Campground
Slough Creek Campground
22 Reviews
Minnesota
Level Contributor
977 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What percentage of DEET should we use for mid-late June?

In my opinion, 30% will be adequate. Have fun!

2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What percentage of DEET should we use for mid-late June?

Deb - thank you SO much for the thoughtful advice advice and the hot wildlife tips! knowing there is a golden eagle nest is incredibly exciting and we had planned to hike Slough Creek, so we'll have to go scope (heh) it out!

I've been planning this trip for years and am so, so excited to visit Yellowstone. We will absolutely look around for your car and will leave a note if we don't see you - would love to cross paths!

Mentioned in this post
Slough Creek
Slough Creek
43 Reviews
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
22,113 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What percentage of DEET should we use for mid-late June?

Deb, hard to believe your grandson is 20! I remember us talking about our kiddos as young teens. My boy is 23! My husband and I are planning a trip to YS/Tetons for the summer of 2020 when I retire from the schools!!

Billings, Montana
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
6,728 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: What percentage of DEET should we use for mid-late June?

>>>Deb, hard to believe your grandson is 20! I remember us talking about our kiddos as young teens. My boy is 23! My husband and I are planning a trip to YS/Tetons for the summer of 2020 when I retire from the schools!!<<<

Wooohooo on retiring in 2020! I'm retiring from teaching that year too. I will have 30 years in and have decided that retiring in the year 2020 has a really cool sound to it. I will have to get another job at least for another year when I turn 62. My teaching certificate is due for renewal July 2020 and I haven't taken any classes to renew it. With everything that has happened with my daughter this last year, I told her that maybe I should take some classes so if I need to continue teaching I would be able to. She said if I did that and didn't retire in 2020 that she'd come back and haunt me forever. That sealed it......2020 it is. Let me know when you plan on being in the park and I can try to make a day trip to the park and treat you to a wilcoxon's ice cream cone to celebrate.

Katheryn O......Sorry for hijacking your thread for a bit......now back to our regularly scheduled program. ; - )

Deb

Reply to: What percentage of DEET should we use for mid-late June?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted