We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Steamboat 8th eruption on South Australia television

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Topic
Steamboat 8th eruption on South Australia television

For the locals in particular I thought you might be interested in knowing that the Steamboat 8th eruption was shown on our television news last night here in Adelaide, South Australia. I hope we see it next year when we visit.

20 replies to this topic
Billings, Montana
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
6,746 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Steamboat 8th eruption on South Australia television

Lorraine,

That's neat that it made the news there. I was in the park last weekend and drove by the Norris Geyser Basin at 1 pm on my way out of the park to drive home. The parking lot was completely full with a sign at the entrance and a ranger present to stop traffic. It would have been cool if it would have been going off then instead of Monday morning. My grandson and I will be back in the park on Sunday for our annual 6 day June trip so hopefully we'll be able to catch it going off. He looked up some information and they are predicting smaller eruptions every 6-8 days so we have a good chance of seeing it go off. Though I won't sit and wait hours and hours waiting as some people do so it will just have to be a matter of luck for us. It sure would be cool to see it go off though.

Deb

Mentioned in this post
Norris Geyser Basin
Norris Geyser Basin
863 Reviews
Yellowstone National Park, WY
Spery, Iowa
Level Contributor
10,611 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Steamboat 8th eruption on South Australia television

How fun! Good news on the news, and not just local! Wouldn't it be great if Steamboat became predictable!

Central Oregon
Level Contributor
59 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Steamboat 8th eruption on South Australia television

Steamboat erupted somewhat frequently in the 1960's and early 1980's.

johnstonsarchive.net/geysers/steamboat.html

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Steamboat 8th eruption on South Australia television

Deb,

Good luck on seeing Steamboat go off. I wouldn’t sit there for hours or days neither waiting for it.

It sounds like you’d be very lucky just to get a park let alone have a chance to see it go off. But wouldn’t it be great if you just happen to chance it. Your lucky living so close.

Spery, Iowa
Level Contributor
10,611 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Steamboat 8th eruption on South Australia television

If it was a prediction period, I would sit for quite a while, and have for other geysers, lol. However, the talk now is how to get the geyser spit off the cars in the area at eruption time, so maybe park as far away as possible and take a car cover?!

Billings, Montana
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
6,746 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Steamboat 8th eruption on South Australia television

>>>If it was a prediction period, I would sit for quite a while, and have for other geysers, lol. However, the talk now is how to get the geyser spit off the cars in the area at eruption time, so maybe park as far away as possible and take a car cover?!<<<

thbergs,

When I drove by there on Sunday the parking lot was closed. There was a lady walking down the Norris/Canyon road to the intersection. The ranger stopped the traffic to let her cross. She wasn't set up for a hiking trip so I'm assuming she parked in the Norris Meadows Picnic Area and walked over. That's probably what I would do if we were to go watch it. I have a light tripod stool that fits in my day pack along with everything else that I have in there.

Deb

Mentioned in this post
Norris Campground
Norris Campground
67 Reviews
Yellowstone National Park, WY
Spery, Iowa
Level Contributor
10,611 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Steamboat 8th eruption on South Australia television

shhh, now everyone will park there, lol!

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Steamboat 8th eruption on South Australia television

thbergs,

That’s a good point. I’ve read that you have to be careful with your camera lenses with the spray but I didn’t think about the cars. You’d have to be particularly careful with the rentals like we will be having this time next year. I guess there wouldn’t be car washing facilities anywhere in the park.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Steamboat 8th eruption on South Australia television

Deb,

I’ll have to now make a note of that parking spot myself in case there’s action next year. I hope others aren’t reading or it might be crowded as well.

Thanks.

Spery, Iowa
Level Contributor
10,611 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Steamboat 8th eruption on South Australia television

Yes, cameras and eye glasses get ruined with it. There is no car wash, and the geyser gazers have tried a wide variety of remedies that have yet to be successful. Some had covered their windows with plastic, but not the paint. Steamboat also threw rocks, some baseball size that I read about, but I don't believe they made it to the parking lot.

Reply to: Steamboat 8th eruption on South Australia television
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted