We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Seeing sites while pulling a trailer

2 posts
Save Topic
Seeing sites while pulling a trailer

Next week we will be staying at Grant one night and then moving camp to West Yellowstone for the rest of our trip. We would like to stop and see some sights on our way to West Yellowstone, but will be pulling a pop up trailer. I know parking is probably bad, but what places would offer OK parking with a trailer?

Mentioned in this post
2 replies to this topic
Billings, Montana
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
6,709 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Seeing sites while pulling a trailer

If you to West Yellowstone via Old Faithful, you will be able to park at Isa Lake (two ponds where one flows into the Atlantic Ocean and the other flows into the Pacific Ocean). They made a new pullout parking lot there. While it is smaller there will be room for you. It's a nice little place to stop and stretch your legs. Beautiful ponds with lily pads on them. The next area before Old Faithful where you will be able to stop is Kepler Falls. It has a parking lot with dedicated RV parking spots. There will be plenty of room for you to park at Old Faithful as they have quite a few parking lots with many dedicated RV parking spots.

From Old Faithful to Madison Junction, you will be very limited with pulling your trailer, you will not be able to access some of the areas. There are dedicated RV parking spots at Midway Geyser Basin (Grand Prismatic) but it is typically very crowded and a pain to find a parking spot at certain times of the day. If you are able to come back to this area without your trailer I'd recommend that. There are some side drives between Midway and Madison but most of them do not allow trailers.

You could drive north from Grant along side Yellowstone Lake, past Fishing Bridge, to Canyon and then west to Norris and down to Madison to get to West Yellowstone but I would recommend touring that part of the park later without pulling your trailer.

The following is a map that shows the estimated drive times for road sections in the park. The drive times do not take into account flow of traffic, sightseeing and comfort stops, and unpredictable animal jams. The top speed limit in the park is 45 mph with many areas posted for lower speeds. Many first-time visitors significantly underestimate just how much time it takes to get from one area to the next. Over the years, I have found the times listed on the map to be pretty accurate for me with the exception of the Madison to Old Faithful and the Old Faithful to West Thumb sections (I usually plan on those sections take me 45 minutes not 1 hour to drive).

https:/…Park-Map-with-mileage.pdf

How many nights are you staying in West Yellowstone? My grandson and I will be in the park next week starting Sunday for our annual 6 day June trip. I've been in the park the last 3 weekends and park is beautiful right now.

Deb

Mentioned in this post
Old Faithful
Old Faithful
4,102 Reviews
Yellowstone National Park, WY
Madison
Madison
Wisconsin
Midway Geyser Basin
Midway Geyser Basin
490 Reviews
Yellowstone Lake
Yellowstone Lake
1,568 Reviews
Norris Campground
Norris Campground
67 Reviews
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Seeing sites while pulling a trailer

Thanks for the detailed information and great map. We will be staying in West Yellowstone for 2 nights next Friday and Saturday.

Mentioned in this post
Reply to: Seeing sites while pulling a trailer
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted