We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Places to stay in Yellowstone

Decatur, Alabama
3 posts
Save Topic
Places to stay in Yellowstone

Planning ahead for June 2020. Will have 5 nights and 4 days at Yellowstone. Driving in from Tetons

and flying out of Salt Lake. What would you recommend as far as breaking up lodging throughout the park?

Trip Details (15 days)

SLC to Bryce

Bryce to Moab

Moab to SLC

SLC to Tetons

Tetons to Yellowstone

Yellowstone to SLC

Mentioned in this post
Moab
Moab
Utah
Old Faithful Inn
Old Faithful Inn
#1 of 1 B&Bs / Inns in Yellowstone National Park
Old Faithful Snow Lodge and Cabins
Old Faithful Snow Lodge and Cabins
#1 of 6 hotels in Yellowstone National Park
Dunraven Lodge
Dunraven Lodge
#2 of 6 hotels in Yellowstone National Park
9 replies to this topic
Billings, Montana
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
6,671 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Places to stay in Yellowstone

With 5 nights dedicated to Yellowstone Park a split of 3/2 would work nicely. If you're more interested in the geyser basins 3 nights at Old Faithful. If you're more interested in the canyon area and being able to see wildlife early in the morning/late in the evening 3 nights at Canyon or Lake would work better. If you're really interested in accessing the northern tier of the park (Lamar Valley) Roosevelt Lodge for at least 1 night.

Reservations for the 2020 season will open up on May 1, 2019.

Deb

Mentioned in this post
Yellowstone Park Hotel
Yellowstone Park Hotel
640 Reviews
West Yellowstone, MT
Old Faithful
Old Faithful
4,097 Reviews
Yellowstone National Park, WY
Lamar Valley
Lamar Valley
2,471 Reviews
Roosevelt Lodge Cabins
Roosevelt Lodge Cabins
379 Reviews
Spery, Iowa
Level Contributor
10,532 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Places to stay in Yellowstone

For 5 nights in YNP, coming from GTNP, I would do 2 nights Lake or Canyon, 1 night Roosevelt, 2 nights Old Faithful.

Spery, Iowa
Level Contributor
10,532 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Places to stay in Yellowstone

Great minds! LOL I would put OF at the end for traveling to SLC. You do want a late flight for enough time before flight if on flight day, or fly out the next day.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
33,338 posts
496 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Places to stay in Yellowstone

Are you skipping Zion NP which is very close to Bryce?

How many days in the Tetons?

Mentioned in this post
Decatur, Alabama
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Places to stay in Yellowstone

Visited Zion a couple of years ago. 3 days in Tetons.

Mentioned in this post
Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, Savannah
Level Contributor
17,777 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Places to stay in Yellowstone

To be honest, for in park lodging you'll probably have to be happy with what you are able to reserve. The good news = you'll be happy with whatever you get.

For five nights, I'd do 2 nights north (Mammoth or Roosevelt), 2 nights south (Old Faithful, Lake or Grant) and one night outside the park in Cooke City. IMO the order doesn't matter at all. You'll be driving the loops to see the park no matter where you stay. I'd pick the Cooke City location so that one afternoon can be devoted to the Lamar Valley as well as the next morning as you drive back to the Grand Loop Road. Plus, it's just nice to have access to TV and wifi mid-way through a Yellowstone stay.

My top choices would be a Mammoth cabin - my favorite in park lodging, mostly for elk watching on "my" lawn as I sit on the cabin front porch in the mornings. My second favorite is a room at Old Faithful Inn. I love the geyser view rooms if your budget allows but also love the shared bath Old House rooms. Lake would be great, especially if you plan to eat in the Dining Room.

Mentioned in this post
Old Faithful
Old Faithful
4,097 Reviews
Lamar Valley
Lamar Valley
2,471 Reviews
Grand Loop Road
Grand Loop Road
652 Reviews
Old Faithful Inn
Old Faithful Inn
2,824 Reviews
Billings, Montana
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
6,671 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Places to stay in Yellowstone

onemoreroad....they're planning a trip for 2020 so they should be able to get the lodging they want.

Deb

Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Places to stay in Yellowstone

I would add Scenic byway 12 and Capital Reef for 1 night to break up the drive between Bryce and Moab. Capital Reef is a beautiful less crowded NP by Torrey.

I would do this:

1-2 nights Bryce

1 night Torrey for Scenic byway 12 and Capital Reef

3 nights Moab (1 day for Arches, 1 day for Canyonlands/Dead Horse)

1 night SLC

5 nights YNP

3 nights GTNP

Sounds like a nice trip! You should post in the Utah forum for advice on that part. Very helpful people on this forum and that one too!

Mentioned in this post
Moab
Moab
Utah
Utah
Utah
United States
Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, Savannah
Level Contributor
17,777 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Places to stay in Yellowstone

"onemoreroad....they're planning a trip for 2020 so they should be able to get the lodging they want."

I read that. I also know that people who say that want a particular lodging on a particular date rarely get those - even if they are manning the computers and the phones the minute the bookings open up.

Hence my opinion.

I tried for months to get into Lake - after I had to release my lodging due to changed dates. I was never successful. But my cabin at Mammoth was my favorite of that trip. My order was all over the place = Old Faithful to Mammoth to Canyon. Worked out great, but was not my "plan".

Hence my opinion based on my personal experience. Sometimes getting lodging or a different order works out. Not only works out fine, but works out better than I "planned".

Edited: 08 June 2018, 05:58
Mentioned in this post
Old Faithful
Old Faithful
4,097 Reviews
Reply to: Places to stay in Yellowstone
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted