We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cell coverage question

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
49 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Cell coverage question

I'm leaving in 8 days for my road trip to the Badlands, Mount Rushmore, Yellowstone, and Grand Teton! I was planning on just ignoring my phone and relaxing during the trip, but now I am expecting a phone call regarding a job interview during the time I'm in Yellowstone. This job is very important to me and I'm worried I might miss the call. I'm planning on changing my voice message to say that I am in an area with limited cell reception and will call back as soon as I get the message. I've seen the maps that show coverage in the park, but I've also heard people say they still have issues. I have Verizon, which I've heard is the best for coverage.

I'm expecting the call June 20, 21 or 22. On the 20th we will be in the Old Faithful area and then hiking Mystic Falls and Fairy Falls. Then dinner at Lake Lodge. The 21st we will be in Canyon area then back to Lake Lodge. Friday is the transition day from Yellowstone to Grand Teton, we will be camping in Gros Ventre Campground. In you all's experience, will I at least be able to get a signal a couple times a day these days to check my messages and emails?

Mentioned in this post
Fairy Falls
Fairy Falls
88 Reviews
Yellowstone National Park, WY
Grand Teton Wildlife Safari in...
116 Reviews
from US$109.00*
Yellowstone National Park and...
86 Reviews
from US$229.00*
Yellowstone National Park Tour from...
130 Reviews
from US$285.00*
Free Cancellation
8 replies to this topic
Beaumont, Texas
11 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Cell coverage question

Yes. I also have verizon and they have the best coverage in the park. Also, Yellowstone has the best cell reception of all parks.

I had reception about 70% of the time, unless i was really on a backwoods hike.

If you're worried that you won't get message since you're hiking, leave your phone in your tent/camper.

Edited: 08 June 2018, 12:40
Mentioned in this post
Tacoma, Washington
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
10,813 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Cell coverage question

Best is a relative term.....

From my experience it’s weak. You will have better coverage in concentrated areas in the park like old faithful ir canyon . It’s only phone calls.

Grand Teton is similar Very limited cell coverage.

Tacoma, Washington
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
10,813 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Cell coverage question

I had something similar on a prior trip. I did the phone call on my way out from Dubois.

Set a time and then be in West Yellowstone, Gardiner, ir Jackson.

Mentioned in this post
Dubois
Dubois
Wyoming
Gardiner
Gardiner
Montana
Jackson
Jackson
Jackson Hole, WY
Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, Savannah
Level Contributor
17,874 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cell coverage question

" This job is very important to me and I'm worried I might miss the call. I'm planning on changing my voice message to say that I am in an area with limited cell reception and will call back as soon as I get the message"

That's a very good idea.

The best way to approach time in the parks is to assume you will not have coverage. Then be pleasantly surprised when you do have some service. If you go expecting coverage in national parks like coverage you have in cities, you'll be very disappointed.

Communication in life is key. Leaving the message on your phone is a great way to communicate that you'll be unavailable while you are on your trip. Good luck on the job!

Edited: 08 June 2018, 19:12
Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
34 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Cell coverage question

I am taking a similar road trip in mid-July. A trip report would be much appreciated. Hope you have a wonderful experience! Good luck with the job!

Silver Spring...
7 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Cell coverage question

I have Verizon and your areas should be good, for the most part. I'd be a little hesitant for the Mystic/Fairy Falls part (our car broke down near Grand Prismatic Spring and we couldn't get a single bar out there) but the Old Faithful area in general has good coverage. Canyon and Lake did as well.

I didn't have any issues in GTNP, though I never made it over to the Gros Ventre area.

Funnily enough, the best signal I got in Yellowstone was at the top of Mt. Washburn. Almost as if the park was telling me "you want LTE? then CLIMB FOR IT!!!"

Best of luck with the interview!

Mentioned in this post
Fairy Falls
Fairy Falls
88 Reviews
Grand Prismatic Spring
Grand Prismatic Spring
2,460 Reviews
Mount Washburn
Mount Washburn
374 Reviews
Billings, Montana
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
6,728 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Cell coverage question

>>>Funnily enough, the best signal I got in Yellowstone was at the top of Mt. Washburn. Almost as if the park was telling me "you want LTE? then CLIMB FOR IT!!!"<<<

There is a cell tower at the fire lookout at the top of Mt Washbrun so that's why you got the best signal there.

Deb

Mentioned in this post
Mount Washburn
Mount Washburn
374 Reviews
Level Contributor
580 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cell coverage question

As Deb said, as long as you can see Mt Washburn you'll have decent (not great) reception. So while at Canyon you should be good to go...

Mentioned in this post
Mount Washburn
Mount Washburn
374 Reviews
Reply to: Cell coverage question
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted