We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tidbits from our Yellowstone trip June 3-6

Shoreline...
Level Contributor
60 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Tidbits from our Yellowstone trip June 3-6

Having benefitted so from the discussions on this forum, even after visiting Yellowstone over 25 times, I thought I'd post a few items of interest from our recent trip. Along for this one were hubby and two of our grown children. We stayed two nights at Canyon Lodge and one at Old Faithful Inn.

- The lunch counter at Fishing Bridge General Store, one of our faves for breakfast after a drive through Hayden Valley, is closed for the 2018 season, due to the road construction nearby. (The General Store remains open, as does the ice cream/coffee bar). The other General Store lunch counters in the park were hoping to increase hours beyond the current 9-5 schedule as more seasonal workers are trained, hopefully by the end of this week. There is definitely a labor shortage in Yellowstone - check hours before you make your meal plans!

- We finally saw an otter at Trout Lake last Sunday! We've been looking the last 3 trips and finally saw this little guy, at the far end near the stream flowing into the lake.

- We had the good fortune to witness Ranger Mike, a fixture at the Fishing Bridge visitor center, swear in three Junior Rangers from the same family. His sense of humor and dedication to Yellowstone's wildlife are a delight to behold!

- We saw two osprey chicks in the Lookout Point nest at Canyon!

- We hiked up to the new (last year) Grand Prismatic overlook - WOW! What a gift it is to not have to negotiate all the downed trees!

- Although we missed the actual eruption of Steamboat Geyser on Monday morning, we did get to see it spewing water and steam that afternoon! Still quite impressive!

- We were happy to see the smaller crowds this week than when we usually go, in July and August. While the parking lots at the major choke points such as Norris and Midway Geyser Basins were full in early afternoons, it only took one loop at the most to find a space opening up. There were many fewer tour buses as well - but possibly more white 15 passenger vans.

- After turning our backs to our picnic table at Yellowstone Picnic Area for a few seconds, we turned around to find one less sandwich than before. Those ravens are stealthy! And well-nourished! Appoint a DSW (dedicated sandwich watcher) from your group!

- We are mooseless no more! After seeing no moose in Yellowstone since the 1988 fires, we saw a young female near the Northeast Entrance.

- It was so interesting to see the rivers so high and muddy with the spring runoff. Not as interesting to negotiate said mud on some of our favorite hikes.

- We enjoyed the boardwalk at LeHardy rapids for the first time - I love that there is always some new little treat in this wonderful place, even when you've been there many times! This would be a lovely haven on a hot summer afternoon.

- Hat count in Midway Geyser Basin on Wednesday morning- 9. Hang on when it's windy!

- All in all, we really liked going at this time of year! And we really lucked out with 4 sunny days in the low 70's!

- Thanks to all of you, especially Pam, Deb, thbergs, the Bills, absarokanaut, onemoreroad, and all of you who give such great advice to help so many enjoy one of the best places on Earth!

Mentioned in this post
Canyon Lodge and Cabins
Canyon Lodge and Cabins
1,248 Reviews
Yellowstone National Park, WY
Old Faithful Inn
Old Faithful Inn
2,790 Reviews
Fishing Bridge General Store
Fishing Bridge General...
104 Reviews
Hayden Valley
Hayden Valley
873 Reviews
Norris Campground
Norris Campground
67 Reviews
Midway Geyser Basin
Midway Geyser Basin
485 Reviews
6 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
81 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tidbits from our Yellowstone trip June 3-6

thanks for sharing... and I agree with your statement: Thanks to all of you, especially Pam, Deb, thbergs, the Bills, absarokanaut, onemoreroad, and all of you who give such great advice to help so many enjoy one of the best places on Earth!

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
33,055 posts
491 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tidbits from our Yellowstone trip June 3-6

Thanks for sharing! Sounds like a great trip.

Spery, Iowa
Level Contributor
10,210 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tidbits from our Yellowstone trip June 3-6

Great report! Jr Rangers getting sworn in always makes me smile! And congrats on the moose in YNP!

La Jolla, California
Level Contributor
571 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tidbits from our Yellowstone trip June 3-6

Hearing about the Moose brings tears to my eyes. I hope I get to see one this summer!!

Charlotte
Level Contributor
46 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tidbits from our Yellowstone trip June 3-6

We were there around the same time. Only had two days of bad weather. I agree with the hats, we counted 6 at Midway the day we were there. I’ll post a longer trip report when I get home. One thing I’ll add that we found enjoyable was the Gypsy app, you down load it before and it tracks you via gps and tells you historical points and what turnouts/trails are ahead. One stop he recommended was Sheepeaters Cliff, a quick little stop great for kids to get out and climb and we saw our first marmot and tons of chimpmunks.

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
23,389 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tidbits from our Yellowstone trip June 3-6

Thanks so much for doing a Trip Report! For most of us if we are not in the park we want to be reading about someone else being there, hahha!

Steamboat!!! Whee! Fun that you at least saw/heard the steam phase. Wow, what a fun thing to see.

I've added a link to the compilation thread for 2018.

Pam

Reply to: Tidbits from our Yellowstone trip June 3-6
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted