We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bear Boxes

Newton, Iowa
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Topic
Bear Boxes

We are camping at Canyon Campground and are curious how many sites use the same box? Does anyone know the measurements, I have seen different answers to this.

Grand Teton Wildlife Safari in...
116 Reviews
from US$109.00*
Yellowstone National Park Tour from...
128 Reviews
from US$285.00*
Free Cancellation
Yellowstone National Park and...
85 Reviews
from US$229.00*
4 replies to this topic
Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, Savannah
Level Contributor
17,797 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bear Boxes

" Food storage boxes measuring 48 x 22 x 22 inches are available for shared use"

https:/…canyoncg.htm

I think it's shared between 2 campsites but am not sure about that.

Another link -

https:/…campinginbearcountry.htm

Edited: 10 June 2018, 06:39
Billings, Montana
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
6,673 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Bear Boxes

smvb23,

The last time I tent camped at Canyon, the bear boxes were shared by 4 campsites. That was a couple of years ago so they might have put more boxes in since then. My experience is that most people don't use the bear boxes. We don't put our coolers in it but do put our camp stove and cooking utensils box in it so we don't have to haul them around in the car all day.

I will be in the park starting tomorrow for 6 days so I will drive through the campground to see if there are more boxes and let you know when I come back. Are you staying in one of the tent-only loops there or a shared RV/Tent loop?

Deb

Edited: 10 June 2018, 06:57
Newton, Iowa
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Bear Boxes

Deb, thank you! We are staying in a tent only loop I believe.

Billings, Montana
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
6,673 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Bear Boxes

smvb23,

I just drove Loop B (tents-only) at Canyon Campground this last week and every campsite now has bear boxes. We also looked up into Loop C which is tents-only too and the campsites which we could see all had bear boxes. All of the bear boxes in Loop B were the new large boxes. Loop C had the new larger boxes too but we did see a few small ones in that loop. Loops B, C, D, and E are tents-only loops.

I know you're not staying at Bridge Bay but we checked out that campground too and unfortunately they do not have bear boxes for each campsite. It wasn't consistent but it looked like there was a bear box for about 3-4 campsites.

Deb

Mentioned in this post
Bridge Bay Campground
Bridge Bay Campground
210 Reviews
Yellowstone National Park, WY
Reply to: Bear Boxes
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted