We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wildlife viewing from Lamar or Hayden Valley?

Level Contributor
83 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Wildlife viewing from Lamar or Hayden Valley?

We are coming to YNP (our first visit) and are excited to see all of the wildlife. We are staying a few days at the Canyon Lodge and a few days at LAke Yellowstone Hotel. Which is better for us regarding travel times and the amount of wildlife we will see early morning and at dusk? We are earlier risers and I will be SOOO disappointed if we don't see moose, bears, etc.

Mentioned in this post
Canyon Lodge and Cabins
Canyon Lodge and Cabins
1,342 Reviews
Yellowstone National Park, WY
7 replies to this topic
Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, Savannah
Level Contributor
18,127 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wildlife viewing from Lamar or Hayden Valley?

I saw bear (the same mama with cubs) almost every day we drove from Tower to Mammoth. I almost always see moose near Moose in late afternoon (and sometimes early morning) and have "just missed" seeing bear on the drive from Colter Bay to Moose in early mornings. I hope you are going through the Tetons. Years ago I was on the Yellowstone.net forums and was able to keep up with which animals had been seen where but today would advise joining the Facebook group - Yellowstone Up Close & Personal. Great photos of wildlife with current locations. It's a goldmine of information and a great group of welcoming people!

Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, Savannah
Level Contributor
18,127 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wildlife viewing from Lamar or Hayden Valley?

Today's photos included -

Raspberry and Snow saying "goodbye"

Raspberry with her new beau

Snow moving on solo

The exciting news that Snow is a girl!

Along with other bison, bear and ram photos! It's a fun place. Crystal, a former regular here, is a moderator there.

Yellowstone Nat...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
2,493 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wildlife viewing from Lamar or Hayden Valley?

You don't need to be a slave to "early morning and dusk" at this time of the year. It is much more true in the late summer when there is hot day after hot day. In this season we haven't had that kind of hot weather, the animals all have young to feed, and are hungry. They are much more driven by their stomachs than by their wristwatches.

ENJOY!

Level Contributor
83 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wildlife viewing from Lamar or Hayden Valley?

Bill074..that is good news.

Level Contributor
10 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wildlife viewing from Lamar or Hayden Valley?

Just finished our trip to YNP. Lamar Valley is huge. We saw animals from a distance. We loved seeing the beauty of the valley.

We preferred Hayden since we could see the animals better.

I suggest bringing good binoculars or a scope.

Enjoy your trip!

Mentioned in this post
Lamar Valley
Lamar Valley
2,542 Reviews
Yellowstone National Park, WY
Moose, Wyoming
Destination Expert
for Wyoming, Jackson, Jackson Hole
Level Contributor
7,579 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Wildlife viewing from Lamar or Hayden Valley?

If a grizzly gets close to your car, the Park Service wants you to honk and drive away. Fat chance.

https://www.jhnewsandguide.com/jackson_hole_…

jackson, miss
Level Contributor
890 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Wildlife viewing from Lamar or Hayden Valley?

I echo OMR suggestion of joining the Facebook group to keep up with recent sightings. In general, tend to have more luck seeing grizzlies closer in Hayden and moose in Lamar near the northern entrance although others have seen moose near Pebble Creek. Definitely get good binoculars.

Don't neglect the east road as there have been many bears near Fishing Bridge, Mary Bay and Indian Pond. Moose out that way too. You really can't go wrong for black bears on the road between Tower and Mammoth-

I generally go in mid to late May, so the bears habits may not be the same in late June, but my impression is that it is still cool enough that they will be in the lower elevations and the dawn/dusk rule is not as firmly in place.

Bears in the Tetons-Best shot is between Oxbow and Colter Bay.

Moose--Check Christian Creek, Oxbow, Moose and along the Gros Ventre below Kelly.

I always spend a fair amount of time near Oxbow as I have seen many animals there. And I always drive Cattleman's--I've seen bears and moose back there and beavers and otters in the river at the stopping point.

Have a lovely trip. I think I read that you are doing the float trip--it is lovely and you should see some wildlife there too--I've always seen bald eagles on that trip and usually seen elk and moose.

Mentioned in this post
Kelly Inn West Yellowstone
Kelly Inn West...
1,083 Reviews
West Yellowstone, MT
Reply to: Wildlife viewing from Lamar or Hayden Valley?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted