We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Yellowstone Lake Lodge to Salt Lake City via GTNP

Burleigh Heads...
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Topic
Yellowstone Lake Lodge to Salt Lake City via GTNP

Hi everyone,

Leaving Yellowstone on morning of 4th July from Lake Hotel. We have to be back in Salt Lake City on the night of the 5th. We are planning to drive through Grand Teton on 4th July and hopefully get to see some sights/do some smaller trails. We then stay in Jackson that night and then complete the rest of the trip to SLC in the morning.

At this stage we have the following plans:

4th July: see parts of GTNP and specifically Mormon Row.

5th July: Afton, Snake River, Bear Lake on the way to SLC.

Mostly looking for recommendations for the 4th July drive. Also, whether that is the best route from Jackson to SLC and other important places not to miss!

Thanks in advance.

Burkey.

Mentioned in this post
Grand Teton
Grand Teton
2,231 Reviews
Grand Teton National Park, WY
Jackson
Jackson
Jackson Hole, WY
Old Faithful Inn
Old Faithful Inn
#1 of 1 B&Bs / Inns in Yellowstone National Park
Old Faithful Snow Lodge and Cabins
Old Faithful Snow Lodge and Cabins
#1 of 6 hotels in Yellowstone National Park
Dunraven Lodge
Dunraven Lodge
#2 of 6 hotels in Yellowstone National Park
3 replies to this topic
Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Salt Lake City, Lake Powell
Level Contributor
18,563 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Yellowstone Lake Lodge to Salt Lake City via GTNP

Driving in from Yellowstone, you'll drive the full length of GTNP. You can stop at the various overlooks and viewpoints. Stop at Oxbow Bend, Schwabacher Landing. and Mormon Row that are all along highway 89 between Yellowstone and Jackson. The next day, I would spend at least the morning to early afternoon back in GTNP driving Teton Park Road and stopping at Jenny Lake, String Lake and other points of interest on that road. Have some great pizza at Dornan's near Moose and eat it on their patio to soak in one last view of the Grand Tetons.

On July 5th, I would avoid going by way of Bear Lake. That place will be a zoo. The two lane road thru Garden City and Logan Canyon will be clogged with RVs and people pulling boats. It will be slow going.

I live in downtown SLC, about 15 minutes from the airport. Of all the various routes from the Jackson area to SLC, this is our favorite. It's a scenic route on good roads without a lot of traffic and has proven to be the fastest.

South on 89 from Jackson to Freedom Wyoming. Turn right at Freedom and drive to Soda Springs ID. This is the Pioneer Scenic Byway. At Soda Springs, turn right on highway 30 and drive to Lava Hot Springs and I 15. Then it's I 15 south to Salt Lake City.

This route takes us about 4.5 hours with minimal stops. Being that you are traveling on a busy travel day, it may take you longer. Lava Hot Springs would be a good stop for dinner. Also, there are no services on this route between Alpine Wyoming, just south of Jackson, and Soda Springs...about an hour drive.

Mentioned in this post
Oxbow Bend
Oxbow Bend
420 Reviews
Moran, WY
Schwabacher Landing
Schwabacher Landing
167 Reviews
Jackson
Jackson
Jackson Hole, WY
Teton Park Road
Teton Park Road
215 Reviews
Jenny Lake
Jenny Lake
574 Reviews
Moran, WY
String Lake
String Lake
84 Reviews
Logan
Logan
Wasatch Range, UT
Wyoming
Wyoming
United States
Burleigh Heads...
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Yellowstone Lake Lodge to Salt Lake City via GTNP

Thanks for the advice, Connie B.. Sounds perfect. Thanks for the drive into SLC advice as well.

Will also check out Dornan's, the view looks great.

Burkey.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Salt Lake City, Lake Powell
Level Contributor
18,563 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Yellowstone Lake Lodge to Salt Lake City via GTNP

Glad I could help. You’ll have a great trip.

Reply to: Yellowstone Lake Lodge to Salt Lake City via GTNP
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted