We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

camping ground with/near a bar

North East England...
Level Contributor
109 posts
15 reviews
camping ground with/near a bar

Hi! can anyone advise me, is there a camping ground within Yellowstone NP that has a bar/pub within walking distance to the camp?

we are visiting (from England) for a few days/nights next summer and looking at camping grounds, but we won't have a lot of cooking equipment etc... and after a day of hiking we like to sit in a comfortable pub with a few beers and some food.

any advice is appreciated!

Thanks

20 replies to this topic
Jackson, Wyoming
Level Contributor
1,365 posts
1. Re: camping ground with/near a bar

I hope someone more knowledgeable about Yellowstone can help you with that but...

Surely in addition to Avalanche Peak and another classic or two in Yellowstone you're going to do a couple of the classic day hikes in Grand Teton, no? Although some here are outraged by my opinion along with most other actual hikers I know I greatly prefer Grand Teton over Yellowstone for dayhiking opportunities.

Signal Mountain Lodge with it's nice little bar is not far from the Signal Mountain Campground which has both Tent and RV sites.

If you're tent camping and want to get out of the rain you can stay in the Hostel type cabins at the Grand Teton Climbers Ranch where they have bicycles guests can use to ride the 5 or so miles to Dornans in Moose. This is a pretty darn great and inexpensive value right at the base of the Grand Teton with incredible dayhiking options right out your cabin door. They also have a spectacular covered outdoor dining area and pizzas, etc. along with beer can be enjoyed there to a reasonable hour. You do not have to be an AAC [Ameican Alpine Club] member to enjoy this special place. Rates are pretty low since you use your own sleeping pads and bags on plywood bunks, and there's a great crew there and sometimes folks will contribute to a larger dinner. Friendships that have that endured more than 40 years have started here.

There is a also a small bar at Flagg Ranch at Headwaters Lodge not far from that campground.

If you are in an RV a night at the Virginian RV Park in Jackson would give you quick access walking or on the free town bus shuttle to two Brew Pubs, several great bars that serve local brews, and of course "The Virge" right there at the Virginian.

I would be happy to share some of the exquisite and greatly rewarding hiking on this end of the ecosystem in both GTNP and area National Forests if you wish. If not wherever you go may your trail rise to meet you all,

John

North East England...
Level Contributor
109 posts
15 reviews
2. Re: camping ground with/near a bar

thanks for that, some great advice there, i like the look of the climbers ranch, its my kind of place. can you recommend any day hikes from the climbers lodge or from Signal Mountain campground? i always like to be able to walk from my tent, go hiking all day, return to tent then go eat and drink beer, then go to sleep, without having to touch a car at all.

also, i have been reading quite a few day hike guides online, and a few of them mention hiking in big groups, making lots of noise in certain places due to bears, is that something to that applies across the whole park? as i will be travelling just with my girlfriend. we are coming over from England so have zero experience of bears

Naples, Florida
Destination Expert
for Grand Teton National Park
Level Contributor
3,723 posts
79 reviews
3. Re: camping ground with/near a bar

I can't imagine a better place to have a glass of wine or a beer than at your own campsite, in front of the fire and under the stars. I'm not trying to be condescending but have you considering purchasing some camp chairs when you get to the states, out & setting up a bar at camp. You usually meet some cool people that way.

Flagg Ranch and SML are the only ones in GTNP I can think of. Nothing exists in Yellowstone where a campground is located near a bar.

>also, i have been reading quite a few day hike guides online, and a few of them mention hiking in big groups, making lots of noise in certain places due to bears, is that something to that applies across the whole park? as i will be travelling just with my girlfriend. we are coming over from England so have zero experience of bear.

Bear encounters can happen anywhere in the park. Please purchase bear spray and watch instructional videos on how to use it if you intend to be spending a lot of time hiking.

Edited: 12 June 2018, 04:30
North East England...
Level Contributor
109 posts
15 reviews
4. Re: camping ground with/near a bar

yeah sitting out with a beer / glass of wine is one of my favourite pastimes, completely agree. but i also like pubs, so if there was a pub close by it would give me a lovely choice to make. thanks for the reply though. you mentioned fires, is it normal to be allowed camp fires on the camp grounds in the states? its a massive no-no in the UK, any camp site that allows fires is usually a very informal, farmers field type set up. whats the general rule over there?

i'll buy the bear spray, but not sure how i'm going to approach my girlfriend on the subject. is it common for people to get attacked? and does the spray work?

Spery, Iowa
Level Contributor
10,960 posts
172 reviews
5. Re: camping ground with/near a bar

I think you need to do a little more research on camping in the parks and bears. Most of the campgrounds in YNP are away from the villages. Some take reservations, some are FCFS, and fill early most every day. Canyon campground is close to the village, but it does not have a bar/pub type dining facility.

https:/…campgrounds.htm https:/…bearsafety.htm

You said next summer, when exactly do you plan to visit?

Level Contributor
27 posts
6. Re: camping ground with/near a bar

If you stayed at Canyon in YNP, you could go eat at the restaurants there and then go back to your campsite and have a beer there. You can buy beer and a cooler. You don't have to cook to camp...you can easily drive over to the restaurants to eat a quick bite for breakfast and dinner, if you don't want to cook. Some of the restaurants serve beer with food as well.

This map shows the Canyon area, which is currently under construction.

https:/…canyonprojects.htm

Here are the restaurants in the park. There are several at Canyon.

https:/…

Campground info

https:/…

Alternatively you could look at West Yellowstone or Gardiner which have more restaurants.

Level Contributor
27 posts
7. Re: camping ground with/near a bar

Info about bear injuries in the park:

https:/…injuries.htm

If you follow the rules it is unlikely you would have a problem with bears, but you should carry bear spray just in case.

Naples, Florida
Destination Expert
for Grand Teton National Park
Level Contributor
3,723 posts
79 reviews
8. Re: camping ground with/near a bar

Most have a small contained pit where you can have your fire, and it is no problem except at Fishing Bridge

* Campfires, including those in portable wood or propane fire pits, are prohibited in the Fishing Bridge RV Park. Wood and charcoal fires are permitted in all other campgrounds (unless fire danger prompts special restrictions). Any restrictions will be listed on campground information boards and on the current conditions page. Propane grills and stoves are not usually affected by fire restrictions.

So unless there is a fire ban which can happen late summer, a small contained fire is fine. More info here:

https:/…campgrounds.htm

Yellowstone Nat...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
2,510 posts
19 reviews
9. Re: camping ground with/near a bar

<< ... camping ground within Yellowstone NP that has a bar/pub within walking distance ...>

Not within YNP.

Here's one time I agree with Absarokanut -- for camping and drinking, GTNP is better.

ENJOY!

North East England...
Level Contributor
109 posts
15 reviews
10. Re: camping ground with/near a bar

Hi, thanks for all of the replies, some really good information there.

i plan to visit next August (2019). just starting my research/planning early

Bill074, can you advise on the best camping spots in GTNP? i've never really enjoyed big, over organised camping sites, i much prefer the informal, natural type of camping.

i've done a lot of 'wild camping here in the UK and also in Yosemite (by that i mean walking in the wilderness for days with all supplies on your back)... i don't plan on doing that next summer as i wont have the time or equipment, but definitely prefer somewhere 'off the beaten track' shall we say. the climbers ranch looks awesome, if i could pitch a tent there i would make it my home for the whole visit

Reply to: camping ground with/near a bar
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted