We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Activities Opinions

Boston...
Level Contributor
85 posts
Save Topic
Activities Opinions

Hi all - this trip we're spending 4 days in both Yellowstone and Grand Teton. We'd like to do a horse back riding trip, as well as a rafting trip - but I'm not sure which direction to go in. We've done horseback riding at Bryce Canyon and white water rafting in Moab. We are also staying in the parks.

Yellowstone - Roosevelt vs. Canyon - and is the cookout worth it?

Grand Teton - Jackson Lake Lodge vs. Colter Bay?

I also see rafting at Grand Teton - look's like more of a tame float. Any other suggestions?

Thank you!

Mentioned in this post
Moab
Moab
Utah
Jackson Lake Lodge
Jackson Lake Lodge
2,057 Reviews
Grand Teton National Park, WY
4 replies to this topic
Spery, Iowa
Level Contributor
10,182 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Activities Opinions

Do you have 4 days (5 nights) for each park or total? When is the trip? Where do you have reservations?

White water is south of Jackson, float trips can be IN the Tetons.

Horse back through Xanterra in the park is nose-to-tail. You have other options easily in the Jackson area.

Many like the cookout at Roosevelt. It does sell out.

Mentioned in this post
Jackson
Jackson
Jackson Hole, WY
Boston...
Level Contributor
85 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Activities Opinions

We have 8/21 - 8/23 booked at Madison, 8/23 - 8/25 booked at Canyon, then will be looking to snatch a first-come site at Teton from 8/25 - 8/28.

We will likely do the cookout - nose-to-tail is fine, we just would love to see some great scenery - the Bryce Canyon ride will definitely be tough to beat.

We would definitely prefer rafting/float trips in the actual park - I'll do some looking into that as well.

Mentioned in this post
Spery, Iowa
Level Contributor
10,182 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Activities Opinions

Where will you be coming from on the 21? You will need to do the cookout on a Canyon night, too far to go back to Madison. There are also horse rides with meals in the Tetons area if Roosevelt is sold out.

There are several companies that do the float trips in GTNP. All get good reviews and do the same stretch of the river, others can help more with that part.

Mentioned in this post
Madison
Madison
Wisconsin
Boston...
Level Contributor
85 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Activities Opinions

We’re flying into SLC the night before and will be making a very early drive to Yellowstone, I’ll definitelt look into it for one of the Canyon nights.

Edited: 12 June 2018, 12:14
Mentioned in this post
Reply to: Activities Opinions
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted