We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Activity itinerary YNP trip July 5th-July 16th

Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Topic
Activity itinerary YNP trip July 5th-July 16th

Thank you all for your help thus far. This forum has been invaluable. Now I am getting down to the details and need HELP for an itinerary of things to do/see in the park. I would appreciate any feedback on specific things to do/see in YNP and GTNP. We are less than a month from leaving. I know that there are many posts on these topics but I can't seem to find so if you can also just link me to some, that would be great or provide comments. Family of 4 with 13 year old twin boys. I just don't have a good idea of how far and how long it will take to get to various different places.

Day 2 - driving from Red Lodge thru Beartooth Hwy; staying in Cooke City

Day 3 - driving into park from Cooke City, lodging in Gardiner; going to Roosevelt cook out this evening - What should we do during the day before Roosevelt cookout? WAs thinking it made sense to do the East side of the park but not sure how much ground can be covered before we have to get back to Roosevelt cookout.

Day 4 - Mammoth and ?? - staying in Gardiner

Day 5 - Fly fishing half day and lodging at Old Faithful Inn - what should we do after fly fishing on way to OFI?

Day 6 - Lodging at Signal Mtn Lodge in GTNP - activity/sites recommendations as we travel from OF to GTNP? Spend morning at geysers and then head south? Can you give specific things that are a must see?

Day 7-11 - staying 1 night in Jackson and 3 nights a little south of Jackson. Any recommendations for must dos in Jackson Hole area. We are scheduled for white water rafting.

We are so excited about this trip! We will be in 7 different places to stay so any recommendations on packing and keeping clothes in back of car without having to bring in suitcases every day would be great too! I am a mom and can figure this out but if anyone has any best tips, that would be great!!

Thanks in advance!

Suzanne

16 replies to this topic
Spery, Iowa
Level Contributor
10,864 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Activity itinerary YNP trip July 5th-July 16th

Well, you only have 2 full and two partial days in YNP.

Are you overnight on Day 1 in Red Lodge, so you do Beartooth first thing and have some time in the park this evening?

Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Activity itinerary YNP trip July 5th-July 16th

We will be doing Beartooth around 10am. I think it is 2.5 hours? So, we would probably have time to do something that afternoon/evening in the park.

Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Activity itinerary YNP trip July 5th-July 16th

thbergs, we also can do a longer day in YNP on day 6 before we head to GTNP. We have quite a few days down in the Jacksonhole area so can take longer in YNP if needed.

Spery, Iowa
Level Contributor
10,864 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Activity itinerary YNP trip July 5th-July 16th

OK. I would (and your interests may differ!):

Day 2. Beartooth to Cooke City. Cooke City has a nice little museum and wifi. Get ice cream at Stop The Car Trading Post in Silver Gate. Enter the park, go through Lamar Valley, to Tower Fall, Calcite Springs, and back through Lamar Valley. Hike Trout Lake or Yellowstone Picnic area, if interested.

Day 3. I would do early Lamar, then drive over to Mammoth and back for the cookout. Pick up the Jr Ranger packets at Mammoth if the kids are interested. This seems like repeat driving, and it is, but I think the Lake/Canyon area deserves to not be rushing back to Roosevelt, you can't be late for the safety talk for the cookout.

Day 4. I would do the drive to Lake, Fishing Bridge, Hayden Valley, Canyon and back to Mammoth. Be sure to see Mud Volcano, most kids like the smells and sounds, lol.

Day 5. I would do west side thermals & geyser basins. If you get predictions before leaving Mammoth, you may catch Fountain or Great Fountains- well worth stopping for. Midway and the Grand Prismatic overlook (Fairy Falls trail) in the evening if no predicted geysers in the upper basin. Go out after dark for a nighttime eruption of OF. Be sure to visit Geyser Hill, and check out Anemone, a favorite of ours.

Day 6. Finish west side thermals. Stop at West Thumb and waterfalls on the way out the south gate.

Take ice cream breaks, have picnics, spend more time at the things the kids like, watch OF from different places in the basin. There is a Young Scientist at OF, which I think is cool, it has a thermal gun. Be sure they know you have to stay together on any hikes, and have bear spray accessible.

Map with drive times, not including stops for touring, comfort or animal jams. yellowstonenationalparklodges.com/assets/Par…

Map you get at the gate: toggle to brochure map. https:/…maps.htm

Have not looked at your other threads, but if you haven't gotten it yet on your trip, you may want to get the America The Beautiful annual pass. $80 and covers both parks as well as other locations for one year.

Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Activity itinerary YNP trip July 5th-July 16th

Thank you for the detailed itinerary...it is so different than what I would have thought to do just based on geography and location. Kind of makes me wonder if I shouldn't reschedule the Roosevelt cookout for the next night so we can do the east side of the park the first day since we are coming from Cooke City. I think that is the easiest thing to change on my itinerary. The other thing I could look into is seeing if there is any availability in the park on Day 3 so we don't have to lodge in Gardiner. I think the chances of finding something are slim at this point. What do you think?

Also, I see a lot of people that say that Dunraven's Pass is amazing views. What day would you recommend we do that?

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Salt Lake City, Lake Powell
Level Contributor
19,797 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Activity itinerary YNP trip July 5th-July 16th

Where exactly are you staying “a little south” of Jackson for 3 nights? The only place I can think of would be Alpine Wyoming. That’s really too far away to use as a base to visit GTNP.

Spery, Iowa
Level Contributor
10,864 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Activity itinerary YNP trip July 5th-July 16th

Dunraven Pass is what you drive over going from Tower to Canyon.

Moving the cookout can work, but may not be possible, it does sell out.

Cancellations happen all the time, if you want to look at changing lodging from Gardiner.

Your plan can work, you are aware of the timing with the cookout, so you can just stop touring to be back in plenty of time. Certainly, it is your trip, I am just offering ideas, but that in no way means you have to take all or even any of my suggestions!

Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Activity itinerary YNP trip July 5th-July 16th

We are staying at a B&B 18 minutes south of Jackson. Is that too far away from GTNP or Teton Village? I thought while we were staying there we could do some of the things there. It's so hard planning a trip when you don't have a good feel of how far and long it takes to get places.

We live in Houston so it takes forever to get anywhere here and nothing is pretty so not sure if a 30-60 minute beautiful drive is going to bother us AT ALL! LOL

Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Activity itinerary YNP trip July 5th-July 16th

They do have availability at Canyon on Day 3. Not sure what to do.

Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Activity itinerary YNP trip July 5th-July 16th

We are staying at a B&B 18 minutes south of Jackson. Is that too far away from GTNP or Teton Village? I thought while we were staying there we could do some of the things there. It's so hard planning a trip when you don't have a good feel of how far and long it takes to get places.

We live in Houston so it takes forever to get anywhere here and nothing is pretty so not sure if a 30-60 minute beautiful drive is going to bother us AT ALL! LOL

Reply to: Activity itinerary YNP trip July 5th-July 16th
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted