We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

August Itinerary Help

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
51 posts
53 reviews
August Itinerary Help

I did not notice I originally posted in the Wyoming forum.

We have booked our air, car and hotels and are now ready for planning the day to day.

This is where I thought you could help!

August 4 - Fly to Jackson hole. Rodeo and Millionaire bar. Overnight at Parkway Inn

August 5 - Snake River Float (not sure of time). Overnight Signal Mountain

August 6 - White River Rafting, Jackson. Overnight Signal Mountain

August 7 - Overnight Jackson Lake Lodge

August 8 - Overnight Explorer Cabins West Yellowstone

August 9 - Overnight Explorer Cabins West Yellowstone

August 10 - Overnight Explorer Cabins West Yellowstone

August 11 - Overnight Explorer Cabins West Yellowstone

August 12 - Fly out of Bozeman 1pm

We would like to do as much as possible. We like hiking but easy hikes. We will have our 10 year old with us and our 26 year old. He and dad will do white water and her and I will do a little shopping in Jackson. But we all want to enjoy the sights and hiking considering her age.

Would love recommendations for lunch/dinner. We are not into the super fancy but rather local/good food.

Thanks so much for any input!

3 replies to this topic
Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
34,937 posts
508 reviews
1. Re: August Itinerary Help

The Gun barrel restaurant in Jackson is excellent. Go to Moo's for ice cream.

The Bunnery is awesome for breakfast.

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
25,031 posts
112 reviews
2. Re: August Itinerary Help

I'll just cross-post from your Wyoming thread so you've got all your advice in one spot.

"Here are my suggestions for your Yellowstone portion of the trip.

Aug 8 - As you transit from Jackson Lake Lodge to West Yellowstone, enter the South gate and then stop at Grant Village Visitor Center to pick up the Jr Ranger workbook for the 10-year-old, then stop by West Thumb Geyser Basin. Go toward Old Faithful. There are a couple of hikes your 10 year old can easily do. Lone Star Geyser Basin hike trailhead is just before you get to Kepler Cascade and Old Faithful. This is a 2.5 mile hike in on an old road bed so it's flat and level. There is some shade. The other ones people enjoy are Mystic Falls (trail head is at Biscuit Basin) and Fairy Falls (trail head north of Biscuit Basin and before you get to Midway Geyser Basin). Fairy Falls tends to be the busiest as it also leads to the overlook for Grand Prismatic Spring. The parking lot fills early but you may be lucky with a space. Overnight West Yellowstone

August 9/10/11

These 3 days are interchangeable since you have the same starting/ending points each day. Here's how I would break up these 3 days:

-Go in to Old Faithful. Get the eruption times for the predictable geysers (or download the NPS app or the GeyserTimes app for Android or go to www.geysertimes.org if you've got iPhones). Pick up a map of the basin at the VC desk ($1) Walk the Upper Geyser Basin out to Morning Glory Pool on the boardwalk then back along the paved path. There are usually some kid-focused Ranger activities at the Visitor Center as well. Pop in to the OF Inn to see the lobby and big fireplace of this historic Inn opened in 1904. Work your way back to West Yellowstone thru the smaller basins and scenic side roads.

-Go in to Canyon. Do the South and North Rim drives for the waterfall and canyon overlooks. I would do these early and first as the drives can get crowded. Head south thru Hayden Valley (wildlife), Mud Volcano, Fishing Bridge. If you've an interest in historic lodges, take a look at the Lake Hotel. Head back thru Hayden to Canyon (increase your chances of seeing wildlife) and head back to West Yellowstone

-Go in to Canyon. Go north (left) over Dunraven Pass to Tower Fall. At Tower Junction, head out in to Lamar Valley to wildlife watch. Return to Tower Junction and head toward Mammoth. Walk the Lower Terraces, see the Albright Visitor Center, then head south toward Norris (road construction). Steamboat Geyser is located here and has been in a hot phase. It sometimes goes years without erupting but has gone 10 times since March. This area is likely to be jammed as people are currently nearly camping out beside the geyser to try and see it erupt. You may or may not be able to get in to the parking lot here, especially if it has gone right before you get there!

12 - It's about 1.5 hours from West Yellowstone to the Bozeman Airport. I'd allow 2.5 (plus your 2 hours ahead) but I'm really risk averse when it comes to catching a plane! If you leave a little early you will also have time to get some lunch. OR you can get sandwiches at Ernie's Deli in West Yellowstone and have an pretty early lunch beside the Gallatin River on your way north.

Have a wonderful time!"

Pam

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
49 posts
12 reviews
3. Re: August Itinerary Help

For the Yellowstone part of your trip click the link below. It lays out all the different things you can see in Yellowstone and gives details about what it is, how long you should spend their, etc. Hope it helps!

…blogspot.com/2018/06/yellowstone-national-p…

Reply to: August Itinerary Help
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Yellowstone National...