We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with Itinerary for a trip to Yellowstone in August

6 posts
Save Topic
Help with Itinerary for a trip to Yellowstone in August

We are heading from Wisconsin to Cottonwood Campground (Theodore Roosevelt Park, ND) on August 10. We will then be heading to Yellowstone for our destination at Grant Campground on Saturday August 11. We plan on unhooking our camper and use the campground as a hub for our day trips each day. We would like to see as much of Yellowstone as we could from August 11 through August 16th. We have 3 children ages 13, 11, and 7. We enjoy the outdoors, hiking, waterfalls, and wildlife. We are very excited to see the geysers. The longest round trip hike that my youngest could do is approximately 5 miles per hike. We enjoy waking up early and paths with less people. Is there days/times that you experience less people in Yellowstone or is it quite busy no matter what? We are first time Yellowstone visitors and would appreciate as much help as we can get to make this trip as efficient and fun as we can. Thank you in advance for any opinions/recommendations that you are able to give.

Mentioned in this post
17 replies to this topic
N. Idaho
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
23,835 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help with Itinerary for a trip to Yellowstone in August

Welcome to Trip Advisor!

What had you planned for your route from ND to Grant Campground?

If you are considering driving Beartooth Highway, US212 from Red Lodge to Cooke City, here is a link you should look at. It is focused on RVs but it may give you information on whether this road is appropriate for your rig set up.

rvtechmag.com/travel/4_yellowstonebyrv.php

Here is a link to drive times within Yellowstone.

yellowstonenationalparklodges.com/content/up…

If you are coming in via the North entrance at Gardiner, it's about about a 3h 15 minute drive from there to Grant. From the NE entrance it's about 3.5 hours to Grant. Do not go by Googlemap times.

If you are planning Beartooth, it's a good 2-2.5 hours from Red Lodge to Cooke City in a car with no stops. I'm sure you'd be longer with a camper.

I think your planned day for Aug 11 is too long and perhaps you should consider spending the first night in Gardiner or Mammoth.

Do your stay dates include the night of the 16th or is that the day you check out? Where do you head from there? Time in Tetons or back home?

Pam

Edited: 24 June 2018, 04:47
Mentioned in this post
Beartooth Highway
Beartooth Highway
454 Reviews
Montana
Red Lodge
Red Lodge
Montana
Gardiner
Gardiner
Montana
Madison, WI
Level Contributor
7,733 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help with Itinerary for a trip to Yellowstone in August

Agree with Pam... from TRNP to Grant will be 12 hours minimum with a trailer, and you definitely don't want to drive at night. Sunset is about 9:00pm in August.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
33,418 posts
496 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help with Itinerary for a trip to Yellowstone in August

I would add time to at least drive thru the Grand Tetons if you have no other time allotted to see them.

The mountains are majestic.

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
23,835 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help with Itinerary for a trip to Yellowstone in August

Eric, glad you answered. If OP comes back with details on their camper set up you will likely know better than I if it is appropriate for a haul over Beartooth. I just usually see *camper* and immediately think - NO!! hahaha!

Pam

Madison, WI
Level Contributor
7,733 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help with Itinerary for a trip to Yellowstone in August

Pam...like an "automatic reflex", huh?:-) Me, too! I get nervous seeing any towed vehicle up there. I remember heading down off the top one time and the rig started whip lashing clear into the other lane. I was on my bike and pulled over and waited for awhile....about three miles further down I saw it pulled over with flats on the dual outside trailer tires. Scary.

Billings, Montana
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,724 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Help with Itinerary for a trip to Yellowstone in August

I've been passed on the Beartooth Pass by lots of big motorhomes and trucks pulling long trailers. It amazes me all the time but then again............nothing surprises me anymore after they put up a 70 mph speed limit sign at the top of the pass. : /

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php…

Deb

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
23,835 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help with Itinerary for a trip to Yellowstone in August

Deb, LOVE that sign...yikes! Eric, I want everyone in the oncoming lane to stay WAY over when I am headed up the switchbacks out of Red Lodge. I like to take my half in the middle along there!

Pam

Mentioned in this post
Red Lodge
Red Lodge
Montana
6 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Help with Itinerary for a trip to Yellowstone in August

We were heading in from the north entrance and not chancing bear tooth pass with the trailer. We were hoping to hit the Tetons within our stay from the 12-16. We leave on the 16th and head for Pactola Reservoir near Rapid City SD. Wondering if you had any recommendations for day trips from Grant. Thanks for the feedback!

Mentioned in this post
Rapid City
Rapid City
South Dakota
6 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Help with Itinerary for a trip to Yellowstone in August

Thanks for the feedback!

Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, Savannah
Level Contributor
17,848 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Help with Itinerary for a trip to Yellowstone in August

"We plan on unhooking our camper and use the campground as a hub for our day trips each day. We would like to see as much of Yellowstone as we could from August 11 through August 16th"

I take a loop approach to seeing Yellowstone over 3 days. On the first day I would do the lower loop. The next day, the upper loop. The third day, go back to see anything we missed or wanted to see more of.

If you want to see the Tetons from Grant, you can do that. It would be a lot of driving and you are already doing a lot of driving to see Yellowstone. If you are sure you want to stay at Grant all that time, you can make it happen. You may want to think about moving down to the Tetons for your last day or two. The great thing about the Tetons, is that everything is close together and you don't have to drive for hours to see everything. Flat valley in front of a spectacular mountain range. You can ride on the bike trail through the valley. You can play in the water a bit at String Lake - it's warmer because it's shallow and the sun warms up the water. Easy hikes, tram to the top of the mountain at Teton Village, as much wildlife as Yellowstone but far less driving.

I'm sure you've studied the Yellowstone map with drive times =

https:/…Park-Map-with-mileage.pdf

To get to the first "village" from Grant in Yellowstone, it's 2 hours round trip. Every day you'll be driving that 2 hours plus more to see things in Yellowstone. In the Tetons, you can see everything there is to see in less than 2 hours. So instead of driving several hours a day, you can spend that time DOING things in the Tetons. For that reason, I'd move down to a campground in GTNP for the last two nights. All are nice but Gros Ventre rarely fills up. Then leave out of there for the rest of your trip. The western town of Jackson is a great place to shop, lots of restaurants and a "shoot-out" on the square every afternoon.

Worth a thought.

https:/…camping.htm

Shootout info -

https:/…

Edited: 24 June 2018, 20:44
Mentioned in this post
String Lake
String Lake
84 Reviews
Grand Teton National Park, WY
Teton Village
Teton Village