We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

August lodging advice

DeSoto, Texas
Level Contributor
38 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
August lodging advice

As some of you may recall, I had to cancel our long planned June trip and reschedule for August. The first four nights are all at different lodging within YNP and GTNP. As the last piece of the puzzle of our new trip plan, I am trying to decide what to do for the last three nights. I currently have reservations that cover the last three nights at Roosevelt (2 bed, no bath cabin) or the last two nights at Mammoth in a (one bed, no bath cabin). I am thinking 2 nights Roosevelt, then end with the last night at Mammoth, but I'd like to hear your thoughts.

Some things that play a part in the decision making--I much prefer 2 nights in each lodging, so I am a little worried about all of the moving around this trip. We are leaving from West Yellowstone Airport. My teenage daughter traveling partner wondered if there is a sink in the Roosevelt cabin like it appears there is in the Mammoth cabin, because that matters somewhat to her when the room has no shower.

What do you advise Trip Advisor family??

Choice A: all 3 nights at Roosevelt

Choice B: 2 nights Roosevelt, final night at Mammoth

Choice C: 1 night at Roosevelt, last 2 nights at Mammoth

Mentioned in this post
Old Faithful Inn
Old Faithful Inn
#1 of 1 B&Bs / Inns in Yellowstone National Park
Old Faithful Snow Lodge and Cabins
Old Faithful Snow Lodge and Cabins
#1 of 6 hotels in Yellowstone National Park
Dunraven Lodge
Dunraven Lodge
#2 of 6 hotels in Yellowstone National Park
14 replies to this topic
Spery, Iowa
Level Contributor
10,767 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: August lodging advice

No sink in the no bath cabin at Roosevelt, if that makes your decision.

What time is your flight out of West Yellowstone?

What are your other reservations?

Mentioned in this post
Billings, Montana
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
6,920 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: August lodging advice

>>>My teenage daughter traveling partner wondered if there is a sink in the Roosevelt cabin like it appears there is in the Mammoth cabin, because that matters somewhat to her when the room has no shower.<<<

No, there are no sinks in the Roosevelt shared bath cabins.

Mammoth Hot Springs will be hotter and more crowded then Roosevelt Lodge. That being said, Mammoth will have more amenities nearby both in the "village" and in Gardiner (5 miles away) then Roosevelt. It is nice to stay at Mammoth or Gardiner if you want to spend time exploring the terraces in the area before and after day trippers are there.

I love the Tower/Roosevelt area and the close proximity to wildlife in the Lamar Valley and would chose it every time over staying in Mammoth but I can also see the advantage of staying there. It's a tough decision and one where we can all say what we would do but in the end, you have to do what works for your family. Even with your comment about "worrying about all of the moving around on this trip" I would go with Option B. If you're not concerned about spending time touring Mammoth Hot Springs before/after day trippers are gone, staying at Roosevelt all 3 nights would be fine. It takes about 45 minutes to drive the road between Roosevelt and Mammoth.

Deb

Mentioned in this post
Mammoth Hot Springs
Mammoth Hot Springs
1,773 Reviews
Yellowstone National Park, WY
Roosevelt Lodge Cabins
Roosevelt Lodge Cabins
394 Reviews
Gardiner
Gardiner
Montana
Lamar Valley
Lamar Valley
2,544 Reviews
DeSoto, Texas
Level Contributor
38 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: August lodging advice

Old Faithful Inn- 2 different room categories over 2 nights, 1 night Lake Lodge, 1 night Jackson Lake Lodge.

I think our flight departs at 11:40am from West Yellowstone.

Mentioned in this post
Jackson Lake Lodge
Jackson Lake Lodge
2,142 Reviews
Grand Teton National Park, WY
Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
33,849 posts
496 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: August lodging advice

I am petrified that I won't make a flight even from small airports. Never know when a bison or bear jam so don't stay too far away from West Yellowstone the last night.

Mentioned in this post
Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, Savannah
Level Contributor
18,160 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: August lodging advice

This idea may be slammed by others, but that's okay. If I were traveling with a teen daughter, I would consider staying in a West Yellowstone hotel. After 4 nights of park lodging, she may enjoy staying in a hotel room with TV and wifi. West Yellowstone is centrally located on the "equator" of the park, and just outside of the park gates.

To really mix things up, she may enjoy a night (and day) at Chico Hot Springs, not too far north of Gardiner.

Edited to add: I agree with PeachBelle. I would definitely spend the last night in West Yellowstone.

Edited: 25 June 2018, 03:44
Mentioned in this post
Chico Hot Springs
Chico Hot Springs
230 Reviews
Pray, MT
Gardiner
Gardiner
Montana
DeSoto, Texas
Level Contributor
38 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: August lodging advice

Just the kind of things I needed to think about. Thanks Deb and thbergs!!

DeSoto, Texas
Level Contributor
38 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: August lodging advice

Thanks Peachbelle and onemoreroad-- I had not thought of West Yellowstone for the last night. I am always the one at the airport two hours earlier than recommended because I'm so scared to miss a flight.

Mentioned in this post
Spery, Iowa
Level Contributor
10,767 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: August lodging advice

You don't want to be late to West Yellowstone airport. Small, and the same people check you in and load the plane, so arriving late may mean you don't get checked in. The Smokejumper Cafe there is very good, (closed Tuesday) and has an extensive Gluten Free menu, and for the non-GF, I heard they had very good pie :)

Edited: 25 June 2018, 04:12
Mentioned in this post
Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
33,849 posts
496 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: August lodging advice

Running Bear Pancake House in West Yellowstone is great!

Mentioned in this post
Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, Savannah
Level Contributor
18,160 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: August lodging advice

"I had not thought of West Yellowstone for the last night."

I would spend two nights there.

Mentioned in this post