We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nearest International Airport

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
101 posts
131 reviews
Save Topic
Nearest International Airport

What is the nearest International Airport to Yellowstone and how good are the transport links between the two (we normally drive).

Thanks,

Mentioned in this post
Grand Teton Wildlife Safari in...
116 Reviews
from US$109.00*
Yellowstone National Park and...
86 Reviews
from US$229.00*
Yellowstone National Park Tour from...
130 Reviews
from US$285.00*
Free Cancellation
Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
33,403 posts
496 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nearest International Airport

Closest airports smaller airports are:

Jackson, Wyoming

Cody, Wyoming

Billings, MT

Bozeman, MT

closest large airport is:

Salt Lake City, Utah (about 5 hours)

Mentioned in this post
Jackson
Jackson
Jackson Hole, WY
Cody
Cody
Wyoming
Bozeman
Bozeman
Montana
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
22,113 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nearest International Airport

I think Denver is the closest with non stop flights from London. From there it is an 8.5-9 hour drive to the Yellowstone area. Salt Lake is a 5+ hour drive.

Mentioned in this post
Denver
Denver
Colorado
Anchorage, Alaska
Level Contributor
283 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Nearest International Airport

Hi,

Just wanted to add Idaho Falls Airport, which puts you 90 minutes for Jackson and just under 2 hours to West Yellowstone. We are also served by the hubs in Seattle, Denver, Minniapollis, and Salt Lake City.

Just depends on how much driving you want to do and whether your carrier can get you close enough.

- Kery

Mentioned in this post
Jackson
Jackson
Jackson Hole, WY
Seattle
Seattle
Washington
Denver
Denver
Colorado
Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
906 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nearest International Airport

We are looking forward to our second trip in June this year and are flying into Salt Lake City again. It took us 5 hours to drive from West Yellowstone straight down the interstate to SLC on our first trip.

On our first trip we drove to Lava Hot Springs (where we were spending our first week) on arrival in SLC, but it was dark and quite tiring after a long flight. This year we are staying overnight just outside SLC then continuing at our leisure next day.

You can't get a direct flight from Manchester - it would have to be Heathrow - and I believe there would have to be 2 connections to get nearer than SLC. When I was researching I found it quite expensive to fly to Jackson (which I would have preferred) so as we have two drivers we went for SLC again.

The only difference this time is we are connecting in Newark New Jersey, instead of Chicago (where we have had a couple of bad experiences). Chicago is a huge airport with little connection time allowed and it is touch and go whether you make your connection and we have had better luck with Newark. I think BMI do Manchester/Chicago/SLC.

As you have driven in the USA previously, you will know it is a doddle compared to the UK and the drive from SLC is quite scenic (if you keep off the interstate).

Mentioned in this post
West Yellowstone, MT
Level Contributor
1,646 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Nearest International Airport

You can fly into Denver and then check connections into Bozeman, Montana or Billings, Montana. (The second flights may be changing with the merger between Delta and Northwest.)

Or, you can fly into Salt Lake City. There are connections to Idaho Falls, and from June to September, connections right into West Yellowstone, Mt. (right on the western entrance to Yellowstone).

Or, fly into Chicago O-Hare and connect to Jackson Wy

which puts you 12 miles south of Grand Teton National Park and 90 miles south of Yellowstone Park.

Mentioned in this post
Denver
Denver
Colorado
Bozeman
Bozeman
Montana
Billings
Billings
Montana
Chicago
Chicago
Illinois
Jackson
Jackson
Jackson Hole, WY
Yellowstone Park Hotel
Yellowstone Park Hotel
641 Reviews
West Yellowstone, MT
Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
101 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Nearest International Airport

Thanks for the fantastic response. We enjoy fly driving in the U.S. so Salt Lake seems to be a good option and there seems to be a great deal to see other than Yellowstone in the area.

Cheyenne, Wyoming
Level Contributor
16 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Nearest International Airport

When I returned from LHR to San Francisco recently some folks headed to Salt Lake were on the flight. Perhaps this was cheaper than the conventional route from LHR to DENver, CO. Salt Lake is not really well connected to UK, so expect an additional stop, like Denver, Chicago, or even Atlanta before you get to SLC.

Regarding the drive. The drive from Salt Lake to Yellowstone is more beautiful than the drive from Denver will be, and it is shorter. The drive from Denver to Lander, WY does not have a lot of scenery, regardless of how you get to Lander. From Salt Lake, you should take 89 to 189 for the direct scenic route, or take I-15 to Idaho Falls, and then turn east into Wyoming. The latter may be faster, but not as grand.

Mentioned in this post
San Francisco
San Francisco
California
Denver
Denver
Colorado
Chicago
Chicago
Illinois
Atlanta
Atlanta
Georgia
Lander
Lander
Wyoming
Wyoming
Wyoming
United States
Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
43 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Nearest International Airport

Jackson International (JAC) is located 60 miles south of the southern entrance to YNP with a beautiful drive up through the Tetons. There are non-stops into JAC from Denver, Houston and Atlanta or one-stops through Salt Lake City (SLC).

I always suggest people price their flights into SLC, Idaho Falls (IFA) and JAC to see which is the best when weighed with the drives.

Mentioned in this post
Jackson
Jackson
Jackson Hole, WY
Denver
Denver
Colorado
Houston
Houston
Texas Gulf Coast, TX
Atlanta
Atlanta
Georgia
9. Re: Nearest International Airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 September 2009, 13:29
Get answers to your questions about Yellowstone National...