We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Foreigners RV'ing in Teton and Yellowstone - help

Denmark
Level Contributor
95 posts
Save Topic
Foreigners RV'ing in Teton and Yellowstone - help

Hello experts - and others with an opinion:

We are heading towards Grand Teton and Yellowstone in a rented RV in start of May, plenty of time and a family with 3 younger kids.

Would really like to enjoy some days in the a.m. parks but need help to which ones to book: I thought of two nights in each park, but can't really figure out from my Frommers guide which should do best.

We would like some kind of water and electricity on camp, not necessarily full hook-up (not at all sure whether that is possible in a NP..)

Please help me out here someone - thank you so much in advance.

Best regards from DK

Denmark
Level Contributor
95 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Foreigners RV'ing in Teton and Yellowstone - help

Just a comment from myself:

When is Memorial Day?

I am starting to get rather scared now, I saw on another post that the roads at GT and Yellowstone might not even open due to snow and ice around June - should we perhaps not even count on going to these places at all?

Thank you very much.

Englewood, Fl.
Level Contributor
1,739 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Foreigners RV'ing in Teton and Yellowstone - help

Hello Jane, and welcome to the forum!

The beginning of May can still be winter in Yellowstone, so you might want to reconsider starting your trip a couple of weeks later.

Memorial Day 2009 will be May 25, and while Memorial Day weekend is the normal target date for the parks to have all facilities open, a lot has to do with the weather, so it can be a hard call this far in advance. We have been in yellowstone in mid May with very mild weather, and we've been there the at that same time with cold, nasty weather and even ice and snow. Most of the in-park campgrounds traditionally do not open much before Memorial Day weekend.

Here is a link to information about camping in Yellowstone that might be of some help.

http://www.yellowstoneparknet.com/rv_camping/

As for how to divide your time between Grand Teton and Yellowstone, I would suggest one or two days in GTNP, and the remainder of your time in YNP. YNP is huge, and it takes time to see and experience all that the park has to offer.

Green Valley...
Level Contributor
18,020 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Foreigners RV'ing in Teton and Yellowstone - help

It might help if we knew the ages of your kids, as there are kid activites (e.g., Junior Ranger Program).

Also, two nights in Yellowstone is barely enough with all of its sights and wildlife.

Perhaps if you shared your overall itinerary we could advise better.

Denmark
Level Contributor
95 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Foreigners RV'ing in Teton and Yellowstone - help

Thank you very much so far. Maybe that is why we couldn't manage to book a camp-site, there were just XXX all over??

Kids ages are 5, 5 and 8. And our plan is to be leaving from Las Vegas Mid April and be in the Grand Canoyn, Zion NP, Bryce and Salt Lake City until May 1st. We have from here about 6 weeks before we give back the RV in Las Vegas and spend 4 weeks in Florida/Georgia.

We thought we would go from Salt Lake City to GTNP, Yellowstone and then out to the WestCoast and down to San Diego and back. We do not need time in LA, but would really enjoy Yosemite, Redwood, San Francisco and hopefully other things. It is important for us to have plenty of time/family value time at each location rather than driving about most of the time.

I have spent most of my night wondering if we should turn around in Salt Lake City, go West and turn the rest of trip around, the thing is we need to be in Salt Lake City on May 1st.

We like nature and a bit of hiking - much hiking but small bits and just enjoy peace and quiet, also the kids.

So if you think you can help me out here some more, please let me know.

Thank you so much in advance.

Jane, DK

Englewood, Fl.
Level Contributor
1,739 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Foreigners RV'ing in Teton and Yellowstone - help

Given the time that you will have, if you can work it out that way, it might be better if you were to make the west coast leg of your trip first, then come back through Yellowstone and Grand Teton, on your way down to return the RV in Vegas. That would have you in Yellowstone a bit later, and you would have better luck finding everything open.

As I said in my initial answer, although we consider April and May to be the traditional "springtime" in most of the U.S., the weather in the western mountains can be very unpredictable. The area doesn't seem to have a true spring season. It goes from winter nearly directly into summer, and that can happen very quickly, anytime from mid May to mid June.

What you have planned sounds like a great trip, and you will be covering a lot of miles, too!

Enjoy...

Denmark
Level Contributor
95 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Foreigners RV'ing in Teton and Yellowstone - help

Thank you for responding.

I think maybe we will use the weekend to "think the other way around". If we drive straight from SLC to Southern California it won't be that hard, but would still give us the sun the correct way around, and anyway the kids and we might not enjoy trip of our lives as much if we are constantly freezing.

Further suggestions are welcome...

Have a nice day!

Ennis MT
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Ennis
Level Contributor
3,247 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Foreigners RV'ing in Teton and Yellowstone - help

Jane - It sounds like you have a wonderful trip planned! You'll see so many beautiful places.

I agree with Hawkeye's suggestion to reverse your itinerary, so you go to the West coast first. As he pointed out, you'll then get to Yellowstone when the weather is starting to improve - one less worry for you that way! Also more of the facilities will be open by then.

Here is a link for Campground reservations through Xanterra. There is a toll-free number shown and they should be able to answer your questions regarding both site availability and what type of hook-ups are available in the different areas:

travelyellowstone.com/how-to-make-a-reservat…

Good Luck - and Enjoy!

Ennis MT
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Ennis
Level Contributor
3,247 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Foreigners RV'ing in Teton and Yellowstone - help

Oops - didn't see that Hawkeye already gave you a more complete site for camping info - didn't mean to confuse anyone....

Green Valley...
Level Contributor
18,020 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Foreigners RV'ing in Teton and Yellowstone - help

4 weeks in Georgia and Florida in May/June? I suspect you have to, and they are interesting places but be prepared for warm to hot and muggy/humid weather. But you probably know that. :)

Denmark
Level Contributor
95 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Foreigners RV'ing in Teton and Yellowstone - help

Hello again

I am convinced. Spent the weekend trying figure out a new plan, which will be that we go from Las Vegas over Grand Canyon, Brye, Zion, Arches, Moab to Salt Lake City, for this we have two weeks in a RV, mid April to May 1st. We will go West, head over to Yosemite and Sequia, probably all the way down to San Diego, give us good time up the coast, where we will spend time in San Francisco, Monterey and Redwoods(I think) and go over to Yellowstone, Grand Teton and what else is there. We will have in all from when we start in Salt Lake City heading west 6 weeks where we need to give back the RV in Las Vegas.

Is this at all possible you think?

I just cannot imagine taking my family on the Western Tour and them not seing Yellowstone.

Thankyou for all helpful comments.