We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Canyon Cabins???

Florida
Level Contributor
795 posts
52 reviews
Canyon Cabins???

We had reservations at Grant Village but decided to stay in one of the Canyon Cabins because of the location. I've read that they are pretty run down. Are they really that bad? I'm hoping we didn't make a mistake by changing our reservations.

AKJ
Bruceton Mills...
Level Contributor
2,526 posts
3 reviews
1. Re: Canyon Cabins???

We've stayed in cabins there twice. I like the area enough to not pay much attention to the cabin. Two years ago it must have been a pioneer cabin. Two twin beds so not much room but it worked out ok. Last year must have been a western cabin with two double beds and was much nicer. Both had sink and bath room so it met our needs.

Florida
Level Contributor
795 posts
52 reviews
2. Re: Canyon Cabins???

I just realized there are three different kinds of canyon cabins. I think we are staying in a frontier cabin. It looks like the western are the best but i'm sure whatever we have will be fine. We won't be staying in the cabin much anyway.

Ennis MT
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Ennis
Level Contributor
3,247 posts
32 reviews
3. Re: Canyon Cabins???

Good attitude, gatorgurl. Your cabin will be a bit "rustic", but serviceable. As you said, you won't be in it that much anyway, but will be out and about taking in all the wonders of the Park.

I think you'll be glad you changed locations. Canyon is a lot more centrally located for sightseeing.

Have fun!

Boise, Idaho
Level Contributor
10 posts
143 reviews
4. Re: Canyon Cabins???

To some, run down, to others an exciting, rustic, old west experience. Truly, the cabins aren't bad (definitely not 5 star accomodations, but get the job done!) and the location more than makes up for the older styles.

We also choose to camp at the Canyons despite the huge campground vs. more intimate campgrounds elsewhere in the park for the same reason.

It sounds like you have the right attitude to accept the cabin in spite of condition and enjoy the full trip, so you would probably do great whichever you decided to stay in.

Illinois
Level Contributor
1,424 posts
282 reviews
5. Re: Canyon Cabins???

Yeah, you'll be fine. None of the cabins in the park are deluxe affairs and as long as you know that ahead of time and don't have grand expectations, you won't be disappointed.

It's been 16 years since we stayed in the "cabins" at Canyon and they weren't as nice as the ones at Lake (which weren't anything extradordinary) and in fact, were more like a couple of little motel rooms joined together in a group of maybe 4. BUT-they had 2 beds and a bath, and a great location within a great park. Totally fit the bill for what we needed. And, we liked Canyon enough that we're staying there again this summer-only 1 night but that's based on the logistics of our trip, not the accommodations.

Athens, AL
Level Contributor
29 posts
1 review
6. Re: Canyon Cabins???

We stayed in the frontier cabins during the summer of 2006 for a family reunion. Not the Ritz, but meet our needs. Basic, clean, with enough room to move around without falling over yourself. The shower stall is narrow, but had plenty of hot water so we just laughed everytime my husband showered. He is 6'4" and had lots of knee/elbow bumps.

There are some that are in pods of 4 and some that are in a row format. My brother and sister-in-law had the end unit of one of the rows. Their wake up call every morning was the snorting of a huge bison sleeping outside their window. My younger brother was welcomed each evening by his guard, a bison that slept right outside his door. It was great.

We were in one of the pod units. We took our camp stoves and cooked breakfast and supper each eveing in the "yard". Of course, we left nothing outside during the day or night. It worked great for us. There were 17 of us that go to go and would stay there again in a heat beat.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
47 posts
116 reviews
7. Re: Canyon Cabins???

I just booked 2 nites in a Frontier cabin and 2 nites in the old Faithful lodge. I usually travel 4 star hotels but on our trip to Yellowstone our focus is the park and the location not the rooms. I am going in to this with a "camp" expecation. Not even a Motel expecation. If you are worried some in your group may freak at the "camp like room

Call and try to get into the Dunraven, you may have to call frequently to see if you can catch a cancellation

Neola, IA
Level Contributor
85 posts
1 review
8. Re: Canyon Cabins???

I have an add-on to this question. I tried to book a Canyon Western cabin for 2 nights this summer, but none were available for our dates. We were able to get a Frontier cabin with 2 doubles instead. We have a family of 5 so we need enough space for someone to sleep on a cot or sleeping bag. That is the primary reason I was trying to book the Western cabin...because they are supposedly a bit more spacious. Has anyone stayed in a Frontier cabin that could tell me if we will have enough room for a cot for the extra kid? I'm not worried about luxury, just space.

Illinois
Level Contributor
1,424 posts
282 reviews
9. Re: Canyon Cabins???

I think all the cabins are really designed for a max of 4 people. I can't really speak as to the spaciousness of one type of cabin over another version-we stayed at Lake and Canyon when it was just my husband and me (and Lake seemed more roomy), and at Mammoth when we had our 2 girls with us. Using Mammoth as an example, I think we would have been hard pressed to fit a cot in the room, but we definitely had enough room between the beds to fit a child in a sleeping bag between the beds or at the foot of the beds--provided we all tread carefully on our way to late night bathroom visit.

Athens, AL
Level Contributor
29 posts
1 review
10. Re: Canyon Cabins???

One of our families that were in the Frontier Cabin during our family reunion had a fold out cot in their room that their 9 year old son slept in. There wasn't much walking room once they folded the cot out, but it seemed to work for them.