We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nowhere to Camp in August?

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
32 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Nowhere to Camp in August?

Hello,

I have trying to go to yosemite in a few weeks without a reservation. I don't have an RV, just a tent. I have no problem getting there early in the morning to get a camp site. But I here that it's possible that you can get there at the crack of dawn and there's nowhere to camp.

Has this happened to anyone?

Thanks in advance,

Kicy

7 replies to this topic
LA
Level Contributor
10,505 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Nowhere to Camp in August?

Certainly is.... reducec # campsites this year and heavy demand

At Camp 4, on the valley floor, hecrecommendation is that you get in line at the kiosk at 4am.

You can join in if other people are willing to share their campsite with you and visa-versa. Up to 6 people may occupy one campsite, but you must have the agreement of the person whose name the campsite is under to do so

LA
Level Contributor
10,505 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Nowhere to Camp in August?

Certainly is.... reducec # campsites this year and heavy demand

At Camp 4, on the valley floor, hecrecommendation is that you get in line at the kiosk at 4am.

You can join in if other people are willing to share their campsite with you and visa-versa. Up to 6 people may occupy one campsite, but you must have the agreement of the person whose name the campsite is under to do so

Seattle
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
9,249 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nowhere to Camp in August?

Half of the Tuolumne Meadows campground is first-come, first-served. People who join the line in the morning must get a campsite, as the "camp full" sign usually does not go up until mid-afternoon. If by chance this did not work out, there are several forest service campgrounds just outside the Tioga entrance, and one of them (Sawmill) I believe is tents only.

In August I would rather Camp in the high country than the Valley anyway.

Long Beach...
Level Contributor
5,780 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Nowhere to Camp in August?

Try to arrive Sunday through Thursday to find a first-come, first served site (mon-wed would be best). Yosemite is very busy this year, but even last year, Tuolumne Meadows was full the morning I arrive in August (mid-morning around 9-10am?)

I would try for Bridelveil or one of the smaller campgrounds on Tioga Rd- ask the Ranger when you arrive. Also call the campground status #

https:/…nrcamping.htm

Edited: 22 July 2017, 05:17
Long Beach...
Level Contributor
5,780 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Nowhere to Camp in August?

Keep checking for cancellations- they happen. (Check multiple times per day.). And if you are flexible, it will be easier.

Recreation.gov

(Though I like to search on reserveamerica.com because it is a bit more user friendly. You'll get redirected to recreation.gov)

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
64,593 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Nowhere to Camp in August?

Hi Kicy

The next to last topic in the Top Questions on the right is all about camping, both with and without reservations.

(You need to be on the full TripAdvisor website to see the Top Q.)

Newport Beach...
Level Contributor
222 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Nowhere to Camp in August?

I can only speak about Tuolumne Meadows. A nearly full-proof plan is to arrive at the campsite ranger station at 4:30am. My parents have been doing this for the last 20 years (they always go the first week in August for their wedding anniversary), and have gotten a campsite every time. They spend the night before in Lee Vining on 395, and head up Tioga Pass that morning. Pain in the behind, but its one way to nearly guarantee a campsite.

Reply to: Nowhere to Camp in August?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted