We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What's the best route through Yosemite?

Greenville, South...
Level Contributor
11 posts
Save Topic
What's the best route through Yosemite?

I'll be going to Yosemite last week of August. Flying into SF and going to Sequoia first. Then going up to Oregon and back along the coast. I have 2 weeks, so I could do it reverse too, if that would be better?

I'm planning to go camping (sleeping in my car) - did not make any reservations, so I have to hope to find a spot at a first come first serve campground. So this in mind how should I make my way through the park, don't want to make the same mistake I did in Yellowstone, driving unnecessary miles, below is on the must see list.

Yosemite Falls

Half Dome

Tuolumne Meadows

El Capitan

Valley View

Lembert Dome

Tunnel View

Cathedral Peak

Bridalveil Fall

Glacier Point

Vernal Fall

Nevada Fall

19 replies to this topic
San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
16,150 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What's the best route through Yosemite?

Yosemite Valley, where most of your sights are located is pretty small. I think 1 mile by 7 miles. Often, the best way to see Yoseimite Valley is a combination of park shuttle and walking. Otherwise parking at various places can be an issue. If you are reasonably fit,my recommendation is to park your car and walk/bike/shuttle. Onlynuse your car to get places that the shuttle doesn't go or are too far to walk/bike.

Long Beach...
Level Contributor
5,143 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: What's the best route through Yosemite?

Try to arrive Sunday-Wednesday for FCFS camping. You'll have a higher chance of finding a site. (Do some reasearch- in can be very difficult to find a campsite in late Aug/early September.)

I would try to do a couple nights in/near Yosemite Valley and a couple nights in/near Tuolumne Meadows, (then a couple nights near June Lakes, Lake Tahoe etc.)

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
62,440 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What's the best route through Yosemite?

Hi

Start with the campground map: https:/…

Then read about Camping in the Top Questions on the right. Getting a spot in a First Come First Served campground may be a challenge. Arriving by 8 am usually, tho' not always, works. Check the reservation website to see if anything is available for one of your nights.

Note: if you reverse it and are visiting Yosemite after Labor Day, that might be slightly easier to get a FCFS campsite. Slightly.

In your direction

1) Glacier Point

Also include Sentinel Dome.

Great views!

Camp at Bridalveil Creek, if you're lucky.

2) Yosemite Valley (if you don't get a reservation at one of the 3 reservation only campgrounds, then you can't stay there. Not allowed to sleep in your car at Camp 4.)

Park *early* at the Yosemite Falls parking lot and use the free shuttles to get around. https:/…valleyshuttle.pdf

Extended map: https:/…yosevalley2008.pdf

Tunnel View ~ stop on your way into Yosemite Valley

El Capitan ~ great view from Tunnel View!

Bridalveil Fall ~ second stop on way into the Valley. May just be misty in late August.

Yosemite Falls ~ may still have water in late August. Near parking lot

Vernal Fall ~ can easily be seen from Glacier Point. From the Valley, hike up the Mist Trail to get up close & personal with it (hike to the top.)

Nevada Fall ~ higher than Vernal Fall. Can be seen from Glacier Point. Either hike all the way to the top or hike up the Mist Trail and then cut over on the Clark Point cutoff for great views, then down the John Muir Trail.

Half Dome ~ can be seen from many many viewpoints including Glacier Point on your entry route. Mirror 'lake'/Meadow has a great from-the-bottom-up view

Valley View ~ after you've returned to your car, it's on the left just before the end of one way Northside Drive. See the extended map.

3) Tioga Road

Olmsted Point & Tenaya Lake are great stops on this road.

There are a few rustic campgrounds accessed from this road. Some have no water.

Tuolumne Meadows ~ lots of hikes. The big campground is 50% First come First Served, but you need to be early.

Lembert Dome ~ good hike in the area. Also consider Pothole Dome and/or Gaylor Lake.

Cathedral Peak ~ not sure about this. Maybe you mean a hike to Cathedral Lakes where you can see the peak? I don't know anything about ascending this peak. Seldom mentioned. Maybe someone else has info about it.

4) Exit

Use the Tioga Pass Entrance and then head north on Hwy 395.

Definitely use the Top Questions on the right.

Use www.YosemiteHikes.com for hiking info in addition to the NPS website (and the Top Questions.)

Greenville, South...
Level Contributor
11 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: What's the best route through Yosemite?

Already checked the campgrounds, there is nothing available. I'll arrive in SF on 8/23 in the morning, that's why I'm going to Sequoia first, they have availability. So I'll be at Yosemite by the weekend. Someone told me there is a rest area in Turlock I could stay in case I don't find a camp site, but I'm a little afraid of the shuttle, thinking I get lost, are the stops well marked?

Long Beach...
Level Contributor
5,143 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: What's the best route through Yosemite?

If you do the coast first, when does that put you in Yosemite? I would still try to arrive Sunday through Thursday...

Long Beach...
Level Contributor
5,143 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: What's the best route through Yosemite?

Can you rearrange your itinerary? During your dates I'm seeing availablity in Crane Flat and Wawona

Long Beach...
Level Contributor
5,143 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: What's the best route through Yosemite?

Like go to Santa Cruz / Monterey (or San Simeon/Morro Bay) (or Pinnacles NP) for a couple nights. Sequoia during the weekend, Yosemite on Sunday or Monday.

Edited: 27 July 2017, 01:01
Greenville, South...
Level Contributor
11 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: What's the best route through Yosemite?

My plan after Yosemite is:

Lake Tahoe

Lassen Volcanic

Crater Lake

Multnomah Falls

Mt Rainier

Cannon Beach

Thor's Well

Glass Beach

Don't really have time to waste

Long Beach...
Level Contributor
5,143 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: What's the best route through Yosemite?

If you did that plan in reverse, does that put you in Yosemite on a weekday?

Before traveling back to Turlock Rest Area for the night, try Mariposa fairgrounds FCFS and maybe ask the national forest ranger station about dispersed camping outside of Yosemite. (If you are ok with that.)

Edited: 27 July 2017, 02:18
Greenville, South...
Level Contributor
11 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: What's the best route through Yosemite?

Is there any parking at the mentioned sights?

Reply to: What's the best route through Yosemite?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Yosemite National Park