We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transport from Yosemite Valley to Tuolomne Meadows 9/15/17

1 post
Save Topic
Transport from Yosemite Valley to Tuolomne Meadows 9/15/17

I will be doing a 5 day backpacking trip from Tuolomne Meadows to Yosemite Valley and I am trying to find a way back to my car on Friday 9/15/17.

Most public transportation options either A.) have already stopped service for the season: Hiker's buses, Amtrak, Greyhound B.) Only run on the weekends (YARTS) or C.) Don't come close to reaching my destination: Free shuttles.

Currently I'm looking at the following options:

1.) Uber (fare estimate says between $60 - $80... is that a thing)

2.) Hike from the Valley to the Tuolomne Meadows free shuttle at Olmsted Point

3.) Beg a stranger to give me a lift to the other side of the park

Neither of these sound appealing. Tell me I am missing something please.

4 replies to this topic
Long Beach...
Level Contributor
5,162 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Transport from Yosemite Valley to Tuolomne Meadows 9/15/17

1- you may not (probably will not) have cell service. But more importantly there are probably no Uber drivers in Yosemite, maybe not even in the foothills.

2- ??

3- ugg. I don't pick up hitchhikers, but if it were just me and my Significant Other, I would consider giving a backpacker a ride back to the valley. (If I met them at the store, Campground, whatever. I wouldn't pick up off Tioga Rd.)

Can you just Camp 1 more night at Tuolumne Meadows and take YARTS?

Edited: 27 July 2017, 12:48
Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
62,502 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Transport from Yosemite Valley to Tuolomne Meadows 9/15/17

Can you leave your car in the Hiker's Parking Lot in Yosemite Valley (between Curry Village and Happy Isles) and ride YARTS up to Tuolumne Meadows on the weekend? Then stay a night in the Tuolumne Meadows backpacker campground before beginning your 5 day / 4 night hike down to the Valley.

Long Beach...
Level Contributor
5,162 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Transport from Yosemite Valley to Tuolomne Meadows 9/15/17

Sorry- I thought you were ending in TM. I would stay 1 more night in YV and just take YARTS back up. I think it will be harder finding a ride up the road vs down the road.

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
62,502 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Transport from Yosemite Valley to Tuolomne Meadows 9/15/17

That idea could work well. Hike down into the Valley on Friday. Get a meal. Pay for a shower. Camp at the backpacker campground in the Valley. Maybe go for a swim or a day hike, then take the 5 pm bus up to Tuolumne Meadows.

Reply to: Transport from Yosemite Valley to Tuolomne Meadows 9/15/17
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Yosemite National Park