We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I have some concerns about parking on a weekday

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
204 posts
44 reviews
42 helpful votes
I have some concerns about parking on a weekday
Save

I have a day pass for June 30, Wednesday. I'm lucky to live about 1 1/2 hours from Yosemite, and I'll be leaving home as early as I can that day. I'll travel on Highway 140 to the El Portal entrance. I am a bit worried about finding a parking place in the valley. I'm a senior, relatively healthy and a pretty good walker, but I prefer to just leave the car somewhere central (Curry Village?) and walk. I haven't been for a couple of years (Covid restrictions etc.), and the last time I was there the shuttles were running. Now we're all in cars! I know I should plan to arrive as early as possible, and I'd appreciate thoughts on the availability of parking on a Wednesday. Thanks!

13 replies to this topic
Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
90,585 posts
188 reviews
159 helpful votes
1. Re: I have some concerns about parking on a weekday
Save

Early arrival is good. There will be folks checking out of Curry Village and vacating spaces

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
204 posts
44 reviews
42 helpful votes
2. Re: I have some concerns about parking on a weekday
Save

Despite all my trips to Yosemite over the years, I'm wondering if Curry Village is really where I want to park! Last time I was there we parked near the Ahwahnee Hotel quite easily and walked to the Ansel Adams shop, the restaurants, etc. Maybe I should look in that area instead.

Elk Grove...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
23,914 posts
5 reviews
8 helpful votes
3. Re: I have some concerns about parking on a weekday
Save

Curry Village is not "central", but it depends on where you plan to visit and what you like to do. It is closer to Happy Isle (Mist Trail, Vernal Falls, Nevada Falls) and Mirror Lake but a bit far from Lower Yosemite Falls.

Village Store (place the parking lots nearby) or Ahwahnee are more "central", about equally close (or equally far) to/from Yosemite Falls and Happy Isle / Mirror Lake.

Lower Yosemite Falls parking lot it closer to Yosemite Falls, but far from Happy Isle / Mirror Lake. It is closer to the Swinging Bridge and Cook's Meadow Loop.

If you can arrive the valley before 10 am, I think you are in good shape and don't over worry about it. This year (and last year too) the park meters visitor' visits with day-use reservation requirement and that has a positive effect in controlling the park's overcrowding in the summer.

Washington State
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
90,585 posts
188 reviews
159 helpful votes
4. Re: I have some concerns about parking on a weekday
Save

The Yosemite Village parking is good. I like the Yosemite Falls parking lot.

See the maps on the right, Top Questions

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
4,752 posts
33 reviews
16 helpful votes
5. Re: I have some concerns about parking on a weekday
Save

There should be plenty of parking at YVL. I wouldn’t be concerned. Especially during the week. It’ll far far far less crowded.

Washington State
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
90,585 posts
188 reviews
159 helpful votes
6. Re: I have some concerns about parking on a weekday
Save

The three big public parking lots are Curry Village, Yosemite Village, and Yosemite Falls

Mariposa, California
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,186 posts
39 reviews
68 helpful votes
7. Re: I have some concerns about parking on a weekday
Save

The east end of the valley including curry village has been filling regularly by 9am. Especially since with the traffic pilot the parallel parking at stoneman meadow has disappeared

The visitor center day use lot and the Yosemite lodge lots have all had space fairly regularly though.

If you're ok with bikes they've added a bike rental at the village store area in addition to the lodge and curry village.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
34 posts
1 review
8. Re: I have some concerns about parking on a weekday
Save

Based on my reading in this forum, it is recommended to park the car in early morning and not to restart again till we ready to leave the Valley in the evening. It is recommended to be on foot or bike to explore the Valley. It looks like lot of walking if we don't use the bike. My question is how hard to get a parking space in a middle of the day ? I would like to park early morning (about 8 or 9 am) in curry village. After the mist trail hike, I would like to take the car and park in Yosemite falls parking in afternoon . Is it possible in weekdays?

California
Level Contributor
506 posts
30 reviews
36 helpful votes
9. Re: I have some concerns about parking on a weekday
Save

I just got back from a mid-week trip to YNP and was surprised to find abundant parking throughout the park at all times of day.

I was worried just like you and it wound up being completely unfounded. Was nice being able to have a sit down lunch without any wait at Ahwahnee too.

I would recommend the village store as a good place to park and rent bikes.

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
4,752 posts
33 reviews
16 helpful votes
10. Re: I have some concerns about parking on a weekday
Save

Yep. Parking shouldn’t be an issue except in Curry Village. Lots of parking YVL. Should be ample during the week.

Reply to: I have some concerns about parking on a weekday
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Singapore. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.