We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

40th Birthday trail suggestions

Lake Charles...
Level Contributor
6 posts
34 reviews
62 helpful votes
40th Birthday trail suggestions
Save

Hi everyone! I am planning a 40th birthday trip to Yosemite at the end of August 2021. I have booked Curry Village for a couple of nights. I'd like any recommendations as far as what trails are close to this location or what are the don't miss areas of the park. I imagine all areas are DONT MISS but I only have a couple of days and want to see/do everything I can fit in that time period.

Appreciate all the suggestions!

5 replies to this topic
Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
90,574 posts
188 reviews
158 helpful votes
1. Re: 40th Birthday trail suggestions
Save

Hi, and happy early birthday!

We have collected many great tips and placed them in the Top Questions about Yosemite. Right side of this page. Full TripAdvisor website

In late August, start the Mist Trail early early early. Swim or wade in the Merced River. Drive up the Glacier Point Road and include Sentinel Dome or the longer loop. (See those Top Questions.)

Also use the NPS website and YosemiteHikes dot com

California
Level Contributor
43 posts
2 reviews
16 helpful votes
2. Re: 40th Birthday trail suggestions
Save

My personal favorite in the valley is Upper Yosemite falls, including the optional extra to get to the railing up top. From there you see absolutely everything in one go. It's difficult, epic and memorable for a birthday.

But advise you to do practice hikes for several weeks before that, so you are not too sore the next day and can try Nevada falls looping down JMT or drive further afield or something. Or just stroll around the valley is nice too.

Washington State
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
90,574 posts
188 reviews
158 helpful votes
3. Re: 40th Birthday trail suggestions
Save

Note that Yosemite Creek will be dry this August, so it will be "Yosemite Wall" rather than "Yosemite Fall." Some folks still like the views from up there.

We all have our favorite hikes! :)

Atlanta area
Level Contributor
1,261 posts
20 reviews
81 helpful votes
4. Re: 40th Birthday trail suggestions
Save

Up the Mist Trail, down the JMT. You can do half to the top of Vernal Fall and back or you can go all the way to the top of Nevada Fall. Note that with no shuttle bus this year you also have to walk about a mile from Curry to the trailhead and then that same mile back at the end of the hike, but at least that part is flat.

Check out yosemitehikes.com for good descriptions of many of the hiking trails in different areas of the park.

Washington State
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
90,574 posts
188 reviews
158 helpful votes
5. Re: 40th Birthday trail suggestions
Save

Note that the steps on the Mist Trail are one-way up from 9 till 3 or 9 till 4 (both times are mentioned.) But the Mist Trail is busy enough that walking down the narrow granite steps may not be practical in the late afternoon anyway. So you continue up another 500' to Clark Point, then come down.

There is a good map on that hiking website JR suggested in Reply 4.

Reply to: 40th Birthday trail suggestions
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Singapore. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.