We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2/2.5 day Yosemite visit...potential itinerary

Croton on Hudson...
Level Contributor
988 posts
6 reviews
9 helpful votes
2/2.5 day Yosemite visit...potential itinerary
Save

This will be my 2nd visit here (1st time around 2013). I did not get to do much their last time as I only had about 1 day and glad to be there a bit longer, although not ideal. Dates would be 8/16-8/18 with the half day on the 18th

Staying at Yosemite Bug Rustic Mtn. Resort on the 15t , due to its location and price (also need a kitchen to cook meals for a few days). Seems to be about an hour from the Valley sans traffic. Just not sure if I should stay there the following night based on my itinerary

After research, reading other posts and what I remember I was thinking doing this...

8/8: Yosemite Valley

- Vernal Falls - Mist trail arrive by 7:30am - not sure if I should go higher for Nevada (seems like it could be 5 or 6 hours RT)

-Tunnel/Glacier point views

-Sentinel dome hike (shorter version)

-just enjoy the valley and wildlife

8/9

-Bridalveil falls by 7:30am

-Tuolumne Meadows, not sure which hike yet?

-Tenaya lake for a dip

So my questions are, I have another half dayish before I head up to Lake Tahoe....

-What would you suggest here for a morning hike/activity into early afternoon?

-Thought of dinner at Ahwahnee but I know there is a bit of a dress code and after all that hiking day 1 I am not sure without a shower I should be eating anywhere!!!

-With day 2 being mostly in the east end of the park, should I look into staying somewhere else such as by Mammoth Mtn? It is a good 2 hr drive+ from the Meadows back to my potential lodging

-Is using a tube going down the Merced river worth it? If so, Id have to adjust plans a bit.

-I am pretty much a sunrise to sunset person when it comes to activities, so I do not mind going into the evening with hikes etc.

-I will be at SEKI NP earlier this trip so going to Mariposa Grove area was something I planned to leave out, or at least thought I should

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Edited: 25 July 2021, 22:04
17 replies to this topic
Croton on Hudson...
Level Contributor
988 posts
6 reviews
9 helpful votes
1. Re: 2/2.5 day Yosemite visit...potential itinerary
Save

There* not their. I can't believe I did that!! haha

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
4,448 posts
187 reviews
262 helpful votes
2. Re: 2/2.5 day Yosemite visit...potential itinerary
Save

You mention that you’re checking in 8/15 at the Bug, but your itinerary has different dates. I assume the 3-day permits you got for Yosemite entry matches your lodging reservation dates - but wanted to double check.

I have stayed at the Bug as a base for my Yosemite trip so can add some perspective. It’s great as a base for a full day trip to Yosemite. It’s not as close as El Portal hotels, but you can get an early start to beat the traffic (though traffic will be a lot lighter on weekdays). Regarding your question about whether you should switch hotels, I guess it depends. If you really like to do your own cooking — the other option is a condo within the valley so first night at the Bug as a staging hotel the night before. Then 2 nights in Yosemite in a condo to avoid additional back and forth driving. I guess it’s personal preference as many people don’t like to pack and unpack.

Because of the one way streets, Tunnel View and Bridalveil Fall (if re-opened) is best accessed either on the way INTO Yosemite Valley or on the way to Glacier Point. So keep that in mind. It doesn’t make sense to go to Tunnel View if you are going to Tioga Road as it is detour (especially if you are going into the valley other days).

I think doing Nevada Falls and then also Glacier Point is a lot of driving and hiking for your first day at elevation. Glacier Point hikes may be a good option for your half day where you can simply drive there, and leave straight from there. Then day 1 would be all points Yosemite valley, day 2 would be all points Tioga Road and Day 3 would be Glacier Point.

Water levels will probably be too low to do any rafting DOWN the river (it can be dangerous with rocks). But floating around the bends at the picnic areas is often a fun way to cool off in the hot afternoons.

Edited: 25 July 2021, 22:32
Croton on Hudson...
Level Contributor
988 posts
6 reviews
9 helpful votes
3. Re: 2/2.5 day Yosemite visit...potential itinerary
Save

Thank you for the response,

The night of the 15th I am staying at the Bug to get an early start the next day into the Valley. Staying the next night seems to make sense as well, the 16th, but the 17th I am not sure. That is where I do not know what makes sense.

I like the thought of doing Glacier pt and Sentinel the following day (18th). I don't mind driving as much as I would have to do on Day 2 in the park up to the Meadows, but then if I do Sentinel the morning of the 18th I should stay at the bug again. However when I am done with Vernal/Nevada Falls I would imagine by 2-3pm I may want to add something besides just checking out the Valley and walking around as I have before.

With water levels so low maybe it is best to pass on Merced river if I am just going to be a buoy!

As far as Bridalveil falls goes I may have to stop there sometime different, such as the last day with Sentinel if I make that switch?

Edited: 25 July 2021, 22:45
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
4,448 posts
187 reviews
262 helpful votes
4. Re: 2/2.5 day Yosemite visit...potential itinerary
Save

Makes sense. One option that you listed is also possible. Two nights at the bug for your full day at Yosemite Valley and Glacier Point. Then on day 3, check out and drive Tioga Road to the Eastern Sierra and stay there one night. Then on your 3rd day, you can explore sights like Devils Postpile NM before driving on to your next location.

Croton on Hudson...
Level Contributor
988 posts
6 reviews
9 helpful votes
5. Re: 2/2.5 day Yosemite visit...potential itinerary
Save

Would you recommend that over the Meadows? I am unfamiliar with that hike.

Not sure just doing glacier point and Sentinel in 1 day is enough? Would have to add to that certainly.

Seattle
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
12,794 posts
74 reviews
79 helpful votes
6. Re: 2/2.5 day Yosemite visit...potential itinerary
Save

It does make sense to move to an east side motel at the end of your time in Tuolumne Meadows. Then you can drive up Highway 395 to Tahoe, which is our favorite way to connect the two locations.

And skip the stop at Bridalveil Falls on the morning of Day 2. The trail to the base of the falls is closed for renovation. So save some time and just head straight up toward Tuolumne. Lots to see to take up a whole day.

https://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/bridalveilfalltrail.htm

Can you confirm that you do have a 3-day entry pass for the dates of your visit? Some visitors have not been aware of this requirement so I feel compelled to mention it.

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
91,331 posts
196 reviews
164 helpful votes
7. Re: 2/2.5 day Yosemite visit...potential itinerary
Save

Hi

Washburn Point, Glacier Point, and Sentinel Dome is a half day.

Bridalveil Fall is not open

Vernal Fall to Clark Point is worth the time. Great views. Five miles round trip from Happy Isles.

Did you see the Top Questions on the right side of the page, full TripAdvisor website?

Croton on Hudson...
Level Contributor
988 posts
6 reviews
9 helpful votes
8. Re: 2/2.5 day Yosemite visit...potential itinerary
Save

Thank you Enzian, yes I have it for Monday-Wednesday. I will skip the falls then thank you. Now just weather or not to move the itinerary around as ALTippet suggested with my day 1.

Croton on Hudson...
Level Contributor
988 posts
6 reviews
9 helpful votes
9. Re: 2/2.5 day Yosemite visit...potential itinerary
Save

Thank you PacificNWFamily, yes I did and saw a lot of your posts and recommendations. That is how I came up with Day 1. I will skip Bridalveil. Thoughts on doing both points and Sentinel after Nevada/Mist? Doable?

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
91,331 posts
196 reviews
164 helpful votes
10. Re: 2/2.5 day Yosemite visit...potential itinerary
Save

Yes, feasible. If you want to go all the way to Nevada Fall on the Mist Trail, then 7 miles and almost 2000' of elevation gain

The glacier Point Road itinerary is not much time, just a lot of driving.

Carry picnic foods and water.

Reply to: 2/2.5 day Yosemite visit...potential itinerary
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Yosemite National Park
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Singapore. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.