We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Crazy weather today

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
91,217 posts
196 reviews
164 helpful votes
Crazy weather today
Save

Driving down Tioga Road this afternoon was epic. The windshield wipers could not keep up with the rain. Then it hailed. Hard.

And we drove out of it. Dry road.

It was 74 degrees and dry at Crane Flat.

It was 66 degrees and cloudy at Tunnel View. I guess Glacier Point Road got one of the rain squalls because Bridalveil Fall had so much more water.

Then it started hailing at Tunnel View and folks ran for their cars.

Chinquapin was warm and dry.

Crazy weather, but it's the mountains where things can change rapidly. Hope everyone stays safe.

18 replies to this topic
Elk Grove...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
24,072 posts
5 reviews
8 helpful votes
1. Re: Crazy weather today
Save

Thanks for the report PNWF. It sounds like one of those rolling thunderstorms at Tuolumne Meadows. Did you notice the overcast clouds early in the day and any lightning? These rain/hail storms usually roll through from east to west. I had experienced hails while hiking at Tuolumne Meadows a few times (all in July/August). And even one time an early snow in September while climbing Mount Dana. I knew it was snow not hail (though they are essentially the same thing - frozen water fell from the sky)... because they drifted down slowly (the characteristic hexagonal crystals, thus created wind drag that slows down the fall) instead of bean-size iceballs falling straight down.

Washington State
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
91,217 posts
196 reviews
164 helpful votes
2. Re: Crazy weather today
Save

In the forecast, saw the clouds, very little lightning, but that's been the story most of the week. Today it happened. Glad I was not camping!

Fremont, California
Level Contributor
74,743 posts
8,650 reviews
4,050 helpful votes
3. Re: Crazy weather today
Save

vrty typical August weather - nothing really special for those who go to the Eastern Sierras this time of year.

So enjoy your trip - and realize this is normal.

Level Contributor
12,293 posts
2 reviews
2 helpful votes
4. Re: Crazy weather today
Save

Really mini? Can you cite seasonal stats for hail storms in late July? I’d be very interested in your supposed knowledge.

Level Contributor
3,583 posts
5. Re: Crazy weather today
Save

Funny comments.

Sounds fun up that way . Enjoy the adventure!

Fresno, California
Level Contributor
247 posts
17 reviews
19 helpful votes
6. Re: Crazy weather today
Save

The weather service has issued flash flood warnings for the entire Central Sierra all the way to Tehachapi through Saturday evening.

Elk Grove...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
24,072 posts
5 reviews
8 helpful votes
7. Re: Crazy weather today
Save

I am only relating this to my own personal experiences visiting Yosemite almost every year for a long time, spending lots of times hiking in Tuolumne Meadows areas - and we usually do it in mid summer. I wouldn't say it is "very typical". Though it is not uncommon to have thunderstorms in mid afternoon. They typically roll through from the east to the west. You can actually see the "sheet of white" coming. At a distance, then rolling through, soon you have droplets on your head, then heavy downpour. But these storms are usually short-lived. 30 minutes to an hour, they would have left you behind and went west.

Hails are rarer. The atmospheric conditions have to be right. I have only experienced hails a couple of times.

Edited: 31 July 2021, 12:22
Washington State
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
91,217 posts
196 reviews
164 helpful votes
8. Re: Crazy weather today
Save

For those who need help.... it is still July. And we were not in the Eastern Sierra SINGULAR

It was amazing weather to experience. The Merced River went from 30 cfs to 100...or something like that. Hopefully this report helps folks who are planning to visit Yosemite or who just enjoy Yosemite

Stay safe

Pasadena, California
Level Contributor
36 posts
5 reviews
2 helpful votes
9. Re: Crazy weather today
Save

I seconded the crazy drive... I set out for Tuolumne Meadows around 2 pm... I turned around with about 15 miles to go. It was not safe, basktball sized rocks were washed to the road. Some flooding on the side of the road. I was hoping by the time I get there, the shower would be over but the rain got so bad, it took the fun out of the drive. Until next time.

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
29,032 posts
24 reviews
85 helpful votes
10. Re: Crazy weather today
Save

Thanks for the wild report. I hope no one got into trouble on Half Dome or any other trails.

Reply to: Crazy weather today
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Yosemite National Park
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Singapore. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.