We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

National Park Reservations

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
224 posts
National Park Reservations
Save

I was looking into availability of lodging for next June. When I checked through the national park page the only availability they showed was canvas tents at Curry Village. Later as I was double checking I stumbled upon a site called national park reservations and they show availability at Yosemite lodge for my dates. Does anyone know if this is legitimate and why the rooms did not show available when looking directly with Yosemite??

6 replies to this topic
Chester, Maryland
Level Contributor
69 posts
1. Re: National Park Reservations
Save

I think they have to be Xterra to be the official site

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
31,664 posts
49 reviews
17 helpful votes
2. Re: National Park Reservations
Save

Only use the official NPS reservation site.

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
91,960 posts
196 reviews
168 helpful votes
3. Re: National Park Reservations
Save

Yikes. You avoided a big mistake.

The official concessionaire is Aramark operating as www.TravelYosemite.com It's not Xanterra. And it's definitely not the 3rd party company NationalParkReservations which has extra charges for all kinds of things. Avoid avoid avoid.

The Top Questions on the right has a lodging topic. Please read it.

Book Curry Village from the official concessionaire now. Then watch the website. When you see a cancellation for Yosemite Valley Lodge, book that. Even if you just do this for a night at a time, it's okay. Then when you have assembled enough nights at the Yosemite Valley Lodge, cancel the Curry Village reservations. Call the official concessionaire and 'bundle' all the Yosemite Valley Lodge nights into one reservation.

If you tried to do that with NationalParkReservations, you'd have to pay a fee for every cancellation. Ugh. My guess is that "NPR" is showing availability because they think they're going to snag a cancellation. Just avoid them. Avoid. Avoid. Avoid.

If you have questions about tourism in Yosemite, check out the other topics in the Top Questions. Also use the NPS website and YosemiteHikes.com

So Cal
Level Contributor
14,647 posts
78 reviews
112 helpful votes
4. Re: National Park Reservations
Save

Re post #1: Xanterra does have a lot of national park concessions, but Yosemite isn't one of them. And as those concessions run about 10 years, the company and website you booked with last time might not be the right one this time. So unless you're 100% certain, it's always best to start at the official national park page (from www.nps.gov ) and follow the lodging link from there.

I haven't seen a single good report from anyone who booked through the very misleadingly-named company "National Park Reservations".

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
4 posts
17 reviews
8 helpful votes
5. Re: National Park Reservations
Save

It's definitely a Scam site. Do not book through them. Their name sounds like an official website. They have a unique way of scamming people. When you fill out the dates for a lodge/hotel reservation and try to make a booking, they will not quote you a price but will say that 'This form is a reservation request" . They will ask you to give them alternate choices. They will then get back to you in a day to tell you that the Lodge inside the Park is not available and will book you in a regular commercial hotel outside the park (which you can book at any travel site). The price you receive may not be the cheapest you get on other websites, However, they will charge you a 10% non-refundable booking fee, in addition to the hotel rate. So even if you cancel the reservation, you will still pay 10% fee. No matter what you do you will always incur a 10% fee. This is their unique way of scamming people. Stay away from them!

Seattle
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
12,989 posts
75 reviews
79 helpful votes
6. Re: National Park Reservations
Save

Ditto what Sanjay said. That Yosemite Lodge room that National Park Reservations showed you does not exist. They trick you into filling out the form and giving your credit card information, thinking you that you are making a reservation. But it is only a “request”, and they come back and say gee, there is no availability at Yosemite Lodge, but we have these other options for you. And they list places outside the park. Of course you do not want any of those, but they have your money, and will keep the 10% “booking fee” even though none of the alternate lodges they offer is acceptable.

Reply to: National Park Reservations
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Yosemite National Park
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Singapore. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.