We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Yosemite in October

3 posts
Yosemite in October
Save

Hi, looking to stay 3 nights in Yosemite in October this year (just a few weeks away). Are the fires out west of danger or concern? I can’t find a clear answer. Also, what airport do you recommend- Fresno? And would you recommend renting a car?

Thank you :)

6 replies to this topic
Dublin, California
Level Contributor
31,439 posts
49 reviews
17 helpful votes
1. Re: Yosemite in October
Save

Wild fires are not a problem for Yosemite at this time. You can check the Yosemite NP website for current conditions. If you can get good flights, Fresno is the closest commercial airport. Renting a car would make it easier to get around.

Atlanta area
Level Contributor
1,278 posts
21 reviews
81 helpful votes
2. Re: Yosemite in October
Save

Fire and smoke conditions in any one place are impossible to predict a month in advance. Just keep in mind that even with all of the fires in the news, and as big as some of those fires are, California is huge so even with many fires it's very possible, maybe even likely, that they won't be affecting Yosemite at the time of your visit.

FAT is the closest airport but is smaller, so depending where you are coming from is more likely to involve a connection. I have visited YNP many times and usually fly in and out of SMF non-stop, I get to the park quicker than if I had taken the time to catch a connecting flight to FAT. SFO and other Bay area airports can be good but you are more likely to hit bad traffic driving to and back from the park. Another possibility is Reno if you enter the park from the east side.

And definitely rent a car, Yosemite is a big place and you'll need a car to get around. There are no shuttles within the park this year.

Edited: 10 September 2021, 19:41
Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
91,547 posts
196 reviews
166 helpful votes
3. Re: Yosemite in October
Save

Hi

The Top questions on the right will really help. Full TripAdvisor website

You have not included your home location, so specific advice about flights would be tough. I used SMF for many year, but now I can get inexpensive nonstop flights to FAT so that's my preference. There is a topic about airports in the Top Questions.

Definitely rent a car. No question.

To help planning your fall visit, check the topics about lodging, "when to visit", fall trip reports, maps, what to do in Yosemite Valley, what to do on Glacier Point Road, and what to do along Tioga Road.

Unfortunately, three nights is only two full days so you won't have time to enjoy all the 'best bits' of Yosemite. Research, plan, lay out a draft itinerary, ask for feedback here, and then head into Yosemite!

3 posts
4. Re: Yosemite in October
Save

Thank you!

I am coming from Wisconsin. We were supposed to visit New Orleans but hurricane Ida caused that to be canceled. Looking for a replacement get away now. Perhaps I should wait to see Yosemite when I have more time?

Edited: 16 September 2021, 22:39
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
4,474 posts
189 reviews
262 helpful votes
5. Re: Yosemite in October
Save

If you fly into Fresno, the drive into Yosemite is short. So you could do:

Day 1: Fly into Fresno and drive to Wawona and explore. Continue to Lodging

Day 2: Explore Yosemite Valley

Day 3: Explore Tioga Road sights and Mono Lake

Day 4: Explore Glacier Point and drive to Fresno for late flight.

If you can’t get a flight that arrives before 3!pm and leaves after 3 pm, would recommend one extra night as staging.

Fremont, California
Level Contributor
79,766 posts
8,650 reviews
4,060 helpful votes
6. Re: Yosemite in October
Save

I would fly into reno so you can see the gorgeous fall colors in the eastern sierras on your way to Yosemite.. the area is back open from the recent fires. be sure to see them as this is best of the best in the area in October.

https://www.monocounty.org/things-to-do/fall-colors/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI4YDJquyE8wIVcRh9Ch39owcuEAAYASAAEgJ60PD_BwE

Reply to: Yosemite in October
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Singapore. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.