We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nov - yay or nay?

Doha, Qatar
Level Contributor
75 posts
1 review
Nov - yay or nay?
Save

Hi guys,

I found out yesterday that I will be heading to Chicago in the first week of Nov.

I will be staying back a little to take a much needed break.

While Im open to going anywhere in the states, my only requirement is that it isnt too cold.

Yosemite has been a life long dream and despite SF being so expensive that I almost cried (student budgets :D), I still would like to do it IF you experts think Nov (17-19) is a good time for it and I would get my moneys worth.

The plan is to take the Amtrack from SF to Mercede and then then take the yarts bus into Yosemite.

Initially contemplated doing a day trip from SF with a tour but it feels super expensive and is only a day with 8h of traveling so doesnt feel like it’s worth it.

Please let me know your thoughts, also looking for afforable accomocation in Yosemite.

If there is another national park u suggest that would be a better bet, please let me know. I will be flying out of Chicago - visit SF/another city- flying to Dallas to see my brother. Are there any amazing national parks near Dallas? If so, I would definitely consider those too.

Sorry for the rambling, I only have one day until I send my confirmed itinerary to uni so they can book my ticket and with the US being so big, I am feeling well and truly overwhelmed.

Thank you in advance

9 replies to this topic
Long Beach...
Level Contributor
1,938 posts
794 reviews
434 helpful votes
1. Re: Nov - yay or nay?
Save

https://www.yosemitebug.com/transportation/

This is a hostel give them a call I think there is a bus stop close by. It will be cold around this time

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
91,961 posts
196 reviews
168 helpful votes
2. Re: Nov - yay or nay?
Save

Hi

The Top Questions on the right side of this page (full TA website not the app) is loaded with information.

I agree that the Bug is a reasonable low-priced option. It's an hour drive from Yosemite Valley and probably longer via the YARTS bus. Check the schedule. This is the only YARTS route that will be running in November.

It's possible that it will snow, or it could be sunny, or it could rain. But it is unlikely that the views will be obscured by smoke!

Incline Village...
Level Contributor
13,393 posts
1 review
6 helpful votes
3. Re: Nov - yay or nay?
Save

Generally, in mid-November I've had mild weather , with some cloudy days.

Cool temps, but you won't be at the higher altitudes where nightime freezing is a concern.

I have very much enjoyed the reduced numbers of people and the fallen leaves. Won't be much color in the deciduous trees, but it can still be spellbinding. I recall seeing deer all over the place

Edited: 08 October 2021, 23:49
Long Beach...
Level Contributor
11,778 posts
4. Re: Nov - yay or nay?
Save

If Yosemite is your lifelong dream, you should go! It will be cool and crisp (hopefully not wet, but it could be). But it might be cold to you? Average weather for Yosemite Valley

https://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/weather.htm

Warm hat, coat, proper footwear will keep you warm :)

Could look at an overnight tour too-

Doha, Qatar
Level Contributor
75 posts
1 review
5. Re: Nov - yay or nay?
Save

Thank you. I am also now considering Grand canyon as it is a bit easier to get to from Phoenix, overall cheaper and looks like it will be warmer too.

If you’ve been to the Grand canyon, I’d be keen to hear your thoughts on which would be your choice.

Long Beach...
Level Contributor
11,778 posts
6. Re: Nov - yay or nay?
Save

Grand Canyon South Rim will most likely be colder. (Las Vegas has lots of tours to GCNP, south rim too)

https://www.nps.gov/grca/learn/nature/weather.htm

Edited: 09 October 2021, 03:42
Fremont, California
Level Contributor
83,619 posts
8,650 reviews
4,063 helpful votes
7. Re: Nov - yay or nay?
Save

flying out and taking yarts would be great for you to do. Yosemite is special its not prime time as May is when the waterfalls are at its best, but its still wonderful to visit with its iconic features.

Incline Village...
Level Contributor
13,393 posts
1 review
6 helpful votes
8. Re: Nov - yay or nay?
Save

Grand Canyon South Rim is at 7000 ft elevation. Yosemite NP Valley floor is at 4,000 ft elevation. Genreally the higher the elevation. the colder the weather

Grand Canyon has a higher probaibility of freezing weather, but Yosemite has a higher probability of preciptitation, either as rain or snow.

Edited: 09 October 2021, 03:49
Little Rock...
Level Contributor
2,080 posts
52 reviews
29 helpful votes
9. Re: Nov - yay or nay?
Save

Aisha,

Welcome to the US... it sounds like you are here to study... congradulations.

Please do it. Yosemite is really special... even amoung National Parks. It will be cold in Nov.. You will have a 50/50 chance of snow on the ground. By Yosemite standards it will not be crowded.

I have been going to Yosemite every other November for Thanksgiving... it is a family gathering going back to the 1940's... on off years (not the family gathering) I will go for a day or have even camped (in Nov.). I will be there this year again... This time driving from Arkansas. When not Thanksgiving I would drive up to cross country ski on the Tioga road, or to camp or backpack in summer... While living in Nevada I would use Tioga road to get across the Sierra if it was open...

The train and Yarts bus is a great idea... but will take extra time to get there (and back). As a student the Bug hostel (link in a previous email) might be your best lodging bet)

As for other National Parks, San Francisco has the Golden Gate Recreation Area, which is run by the National Park Service and includes Muir Woods north of the City... a wonderful redwood grove. Chicago has the Dunes located south of the city in Indiana on the shores of Lake Michigan. There isn't much near Dallas...

Randy

Reply to: Nov - yay or nay?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Yosemite National Park
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Singapore. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.