We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Yosemite 2021, 2022, 2023 Upcoming Changes

Fresno, California
Level Contributor
2,934 posts
Yosemite 2021, 2022, 2023 Upcoming Changes
Save

Yosemite's Superintendent made a presentation a few days ago to the Yosemite Gateway Partners organization (representatives of businesses in the surrounding communities). More information beyond my summary is in this article.

http://www.fresnobee.com/news/california/yosemite/article255008937.html

Her presentation information included:

** No decision yet if day-use reservations will return in future years or not

** Yosemite Valley traffic pattern changes used this year were considered to successfully reduce summer traffic jams and may be used again in future summers

** Wilderness backpacking has increased tremendously. 25,000 wilderness permits (averaging 3 people per permit) are now issued each summer compared to only 5,000 permits in the mid-1990s.

While everything is still subject to change, the current plans include:

** Shuttle buses are currently planned to return in December 2021

** Curry Village Ice Rink should open in November 2021

** Badger Pass Ski Area should open in December 2021

** The Wawona Hotel will begin its winter seasonal closure in November 2021

Backpackers should note a wilderness permit process change:

** Wilderness permits for backpackers will continue as currently except info and applications will shift to recreation.gov (instead of Yosemite Conservancy) beginning November 14, 2021

Some additional park plans for the next few years will impact visitors in 2022 and 2023:

** Tuolumne Meadows Campground will be closed until at least 2024 for rehabilitation

** Crane Flat campground and Bridalveil Creek campground will be closed until 2023

** Tuolumne Meadows Store may not open in 2022

** Glacier Point Road will be closed in 2022

** Yosemite High Sierra Camps should be open in Summer 2022 after experiencing recent closures

** Mariposa Grove repairs should be completed and the grove fully reopened by Summer 2022

** Construction work will occur in 2022 in the Bridalveil Fall area and other park areas

8 replies to this topic
Fremont, California
Level Contributor
83,619 posts
8,650 reviews
4,063 helpful votes
1. Re: Yosemite 2021, 2022, 2023 Upcoming Changes
Save

Thanks for all this great information.

Seattle
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
12,989 posts
75 reviews
79 helpful votes
2. Re: Yosemite 2021, 2022, 2023 Upcoming Changes
Save

I am sorry to see them change from Yosemite Conservancy to recreation.gov for the wilderness permits. They did a great job, and it was nice to be able to talk to a real person if I needed to.

Thanks for all the information, particularly about the Tuolumne campground closure. That does affect our plans, as that is where we usually camp for hiking in Yosemite. We’ll have to re-think things.

Fresno, California
Level Contributor
2,934 posts
3. Re: Yosemite 2021, 2022, 2023 Upcoming Changes
Save

Enzian, the Tuolumne Meadows Campground page lists all of the rehabilitation projects planned there. It also mentions the closure could extend into 2025 depending upon weather and delays.

http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/tmcamp.htm

The Bridalveil and Crane Flat rehab projects causing those 2022 closures are also listed on their pages.

http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/bvcamp.htm

http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/cranecamp.htm

In 2022, the campground closures will cause a large shortage of in-park sites.

Not available in 2022 will be

Tuolumne Meadows - 304 campsites

Crane Flat - 166 campsites

Bridalveil Creek - 115 campsites

That is roughly over 35% all Yosemite in-park campsites that will unavailable next summer. Campsite reservations will be an even larger than normal scramble for Summer 2022.

Seattle
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
12,989 posts
75 reviews
79 helpful votes
4. Re: Yosemite 2021, 2022, 2023 Upcoming Changes
Save

Thanks! I will agree the improvements at Tuolumne Campground are much needed, especially the relocation of the Loop A sites away from the river. I camped in one of those sites 50 years ago and it seemed like a bad idea then. I hope they don’t change the configuration of the B loop as we have our favorite sites there now.

I am surprised I have not heard about this from the Yosemite Conservancy—-I am a sustaining member and get regular communications from them about upcoming projects. But maybe I just missed it.

In any case, it is good to know about all this now, so we don’t plan on our usual “Yosemite time” (a week of camping in Tuolumne) into our summer plans for the next few years. We have entered the High Sierra Camp lottery for next year but I have scant hope, given all the people who have priority due to canceled reservations over the last 3 years.

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
29,151 posts
24 reviews
85 helpful votes
5. Re: Yosemite 2021, 2022, 2023 Upcoming Changes
Save

>>>We have entered the High Sierra Camp lottery for next year but I have scant hope, given all the people who have priority due to canceled reservations over the last 3 year<<<

That's good they are giving those people priority. They did that for people with canceled hotel or campground reservations that past few years.

Glad to hear the shuttles are coming back next summer.

Incline Village...
Level Contributor
13,393 posts
1 review
6 helpful votes
6. Re: Yosemite 2021, 2022, 2023 Upcoming Changes
Save

Armark is really running all the lodging concessions, including the High Sierra Camps, not the YNP Superintendent.

Armark has been the one shutting down all the High Sierra lodgings for the last 2-3 years.

It's great that the YNP Superintendent is going to say the HSC facilities will be up and running in the next summers, but its Armark who will really tell them whether they are or not, IMHO.

I've not been impressed with the desire of Armark to extend themselves to provide services to a relatively small population of hikers/backpackers who only provide a small profit margin to the company.

I guess I'll believe it when I see it.

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
73 posts
7. Re: Yosemite 2021, 2022, 2023 Upcoming Changes
Save

We entered the HSC lottery too. Hope to have a chance to hike and camp with kids one more time at Sunrise before they move to the East Coast.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
4,514 posts
193 reviews
266 helpful votes
8. Re: Yosemite 2021, 2022, 2023 Upcoming Changes
Save

I assume the NPS thought about spacing the campground closures instead of having them all happen in 2022. But maybe they figured the impact will be smaller if COvID reduces the number of visitors in the park.

Reply to: Yosemite 2021, 2022, 2023 Upcoming Changes
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Yosemite National Park
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Singapore. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.