We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tips to make Curry Village tents more comfortable?

Concord, New...
13 posts
Tips to make Curry Village tents more comfortable?
Save

We have a reservation for 6 nights in a heated tent at the end of April. Our last visit was in early May. The heat took the chill off in the middle of the night and first thing in the morning, but I know I can bring along items to make a 6 night stay more comfortable. Next time, I'd like to bring folding chairs, my own warm blankets/sleeping bags and/or pillow. The blankets on the beds were incredibly slippery and we fought all night to keep them on top of us. My least favorite part of staying in the tents is having to shower, so I was thinking of bringing some disposable towelettes to wash up between showers. Do you have any other tips to make the tents more enjoyable?

16 replies to this topic
Long Beach...
Level Contributor
11,789 posts
1. Re: Tips to make Curry Village tents more comfortable?
Save

A sound machine? Or sound machine app on your phone?

Cooler with food supplies.

Electric kettle, are they allowed? I like to coffee first thing, so I usually bring instant coffee when traveling…

Incline Village...
Level Contributor
13,396 posts
1 review
6 helpful votes
2. Re: Tips to make Curry Village tents more comfortable?
Save

NO food inside the tent so NO COOLERS. They must be in the bear-proof lockers, no kettles. Food or cooking attracts animals, BIG and small.

My most recent tented camps have been at Tuolumne Meadows and before that at White Wolf, both of which get quite cold at night and have wood-burning stoves instead of heat.

I thought they came with a card-table and 2 folding chairs already.

I always bring a battery-powered lantern. Something like this: https://www.coleman.com/lighting/battery-lanterns/390l-twin-led-lantern/SAP_2000024375.html. I got mine at Costco. Have them in the car for safety, too. They throw off a lot of light which is really useful.

Sleeping bag or blanket. Head covering for chilly nights, warm socks. Couple of extra hangers to keep jackets organized. I also have luggage locks on any bags in the unit. Ear plugs in case you have noisy neighbors. Organize clean and dirty laundry ( socks & undies) in mesh bags keeps the inside neater.

A shower bag for the stuff you need. Their towels are OK, but I bring my own larger ones and hang them up to dry inside the tent. A small broom to sweep out dirt. Some cabin slippers to wear at night and when just hanging out so you avoid tracking dirt into the place.

I

Long Beach...
Level Contributor
11,789 posts
3. Re: Tips to make Curry Village tents more comfortable?
Save

Padlock for bear box? (I don’t usually feel the need, but some folks might.)

Extension cord for charging electronics.

Dry Shampoo?

I don’t usually consider an electric kettle as ‘cooking’, a bit of gray area for me… There is hot water at Coffee/Dining area.

Incline Village...
Level Contributor
13,396 posts
1 review
6 helpful votes
4. Re: Tips to make Curry Village tents more comfortable?
Save

The bear boxes are usually shared with other campers so you DO NOT put padlocks on the bear lockers. The rangers will cut them off. Having a bear box for every unit would take up a huge amount of space so they are shared.

Edited: 18 October 2021, 07:26
Aptos, California
Destination Expert
for California, Kauai, Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
8,450 posts
78 reviews
70 helpful votes
5. Re: Tips to make Curry Village tents more comfortable?
Save

We have a collapsible wagon and bring pillows sleeping bag, cooler, scrabble, lantern, ( the overhead light isn’t cozy) camp chairs and battery operated candles. It gives you some ambiance. We also push the double bed and a twin bed together so we have plenty of sleeping space. You can do that with the twin bed only cabin too.

Dry shampoo is a good idea but don’t use it inside

tent.

I had a friend get two bottles of good wine and her hair dryer stolen from her bear box so bad human behavior isn’t unheard of. Might as well bring a lock if you have anything worth taking.

I make up shower kits with hotels soaps, shampoos and face clothes.

Long Beach...
Level Contributor
11,789 posts
6. Re: Tips to make Curry Village tents more comfortable?
Save

Each Curry Village tent has their own bear box now. Keep food and smelly products in there.

There are picnic tables scattered around for eating and preparing picnic lunches, lots of folks do this at their bear boxes or in front of their tent too.

Keep your area ‘crumb clean’.

Aptos, California
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,450 posts
78 reviews
70 helpful votes
7. Re: Tips to make Curry Village tents more comfortable?
Save

The bear boxes aren’t shared anymore. There is one on front of each tent.

Oops somehow missed your post.

Edited: 18 October 2021, 07:49
starsparkles
Level Contributor
512 posts
8. Re: Tips to make Curry Village tents more comfortable?
Save

i don’t mean this to be antagonistic, at all, and i’ve glamped before because that’s all that was available on safari, but with hotels a reasonable driving distance away, what is the appeal of these congested “camp” grounds that are like mini cities? especially during covid?

is it the feeling of being “in” nature, but with some comforts?

Edited: 18 October 2021, 13:54
Aptos, California
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,450 posts
78 reviews
70 helpful votes
9. Re: Tips to make Curry Village tents more comfortable?
Save

The appeal is that there is limited lodging in Yosemite Valley and many times the tent cabins are all that is left. Many people prefer to wake up in Yosemite Valley vs nicer accommodations 2 hours away.

Concord, New...
13 posts
10. Re: Tips to make Curry Village tents more comfortable?
Save

That's a good question, Starsparkles. Firstly, it was the only thing available when I was searching. We are staying at other locations inside the park at the beginning and end of the trip, but there weren't multiple days available in any of the hotels. We can't go real camping because we don't want to bring tents etc on a plane. Also waking up to Half Dome right outside your door?! Ooof. The tents really aren't that congested, and most people are not hanging around the tents, they are out doing things all day. The last time we were there we made many friends and had many conversations with our fellow tent campers at the end of the day and it was fun! So much better than driving any distance into the park every day.

Reply to: Tips to make Curry Village tents more comfortable?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Yosemite National Park
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Singapore. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.