We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nov 2 full days

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
17 posts
3 reviews
1 helpful vote
Nov 2 full days
Save

Arriving in Fresno on Tuesday, Nov 9 at noon and leaving Friday, Nov 12 early AM, same location. Would like any suggestions on how to make most out of trip.

15 replies to this topic
S P
Tiburon, California
Level Contributor
1,858 posts
1 review
1. Re: Nov 2 full days
Save

We need to know more to help hopefully you already have accommodations in or near the park. Does your car have four-wheel-drive or all-wheel-drive and/or chains. Also what do you like to do hike ,sightsee.How many edges in capabilities of the people you’re traveling with.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
17 posts
3 reviews
1 helpful vote
2. Re: Nov 2 full days
Save

Will be driving AWD vehicle. Do not have lodging yet. No physical accommodations needed. Light hiking preferred. Is

S P
Tiburon, California
Level Contributor
1,858 posts
1 review
3. Re: Nov 2 full days
Save

In the full version of the website, not the app there’s a lot of great information off to the right called “ top questions about Yosemite national park”. But in general it is best to book in the valley if possible, only use the official booking sites ,That is the national Park service for camping, and a Aramark for hotels. Those links can be found on the official Yosemite national park website. If you cannot find accommodations in the valley there are other alternatives further out like Yosemite west which is within the gates of the park is actually private property and has cabins and condos for rent. I think that’s about a half an hour from the valley . Book now even this time of year things usually fill up once in advance. Even with all wheel drive you still might need chains at times if the snow is heavy enough, but that Would be rare if that happens you might just not go out that day.

Edited: 21 October 2021, 23:53
Little Rock...
Level Contributor
2,082 posts
52 reviews
29 helpful votes
4. Re: Nov 2 full days
Save

I see you are from Philadephia, so I assume you are flying into Fresno and renting a car... Rental cars don't allow chains, so hopefully you are getting one with 4wd... Yosemite can and does on occasion require you to carry chains (or some other "traction device" and will ask to see them at the entrance station.

If the weather cooperates, I would suggest entering the park via Hwy 41, the south entrance at Fish Camp. That Hwy enters the park via a tunnel, and a viewing area called "Tunnel View"... It is the most spectacular way to enter the valley... Hwy 41 is also the road to access the Glacier Point road, and the Maraposa Redwood grove. Hwy 41 is also a higher elevation entrance, reaching 6,000', so is more likely to have snow than the alternative, Hwy 140, known as the "All Weather Road" which enters the park at 2,000' on the way to the Valley floor which is about 4,000'.

You haven't said where you are staying... Fresno is not a good option, it is near 3 hours away from the Valley floor. The best options are in the Valley, but if not there as close as possible.

With two full days plan one full day in the valley the second in the high country visiting Glacier Point (if the road has not yet been closed due to snow) and the redwoods at Maraposa Grove. The historic Village at Wawona is nearby. In the Valley, the most common hike is the Mist Trail, at least as far as the bridge over the Merced. This is a steep, paved trail. There is a much flatter trail around the floor of the valley, also paved... Take the time to hike at least a bit of it... Go to the visitor center, visit the Ahwanee hotel for at least a drink at the bar, and to walk the extensive lobby.

A little more information about where you plan to stay, and what you like to do will help.

Randy

Incline Village...
Level Contributor
13,396 posts
1 review
6 helpful votes
5. Re: Nov 2 full days
Save

What do you mean by "no physical accommodations needed"?

Do you already have reservations for accommodations and if so, where?

Or do you mean you plan to camp of backpack into wilderness areas?

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
17 posts
3 reviews
1 helpful vote
6. Re: Nov 2 full days
Save

No,previous writer asked if anyone had any physical capability issues. I just meant no special needs are required. I honestly have no idea how to plan this. Not familiar with area at all. Was just looking to do a little sightseeing with my daughter and was hopeful that someone could help with a plan. I do not have accommodations booked yet. 4x4 is rented. Would it be better not to visit this time of year??

Incline Village...
Level Contributor
13,396 posts
1 review
6 helpful votes
7. Re: Nov 2 full days
Save

I have been to Yosemite in early Nov several times and it has been wonderful. Far fewer people, leaves down all over the place, quiet times on the trails.

But it's just a changeable season as the days can be sunny, or cool or rainy and the nights are going to be old. Ideally, you could get accommodations INSIDE the park at Yosemite Valley Lodge.

ww.travelyosemite.com/lodging/yosemite-valley-lodge/

They are expensive for what they are, but well worth it to walk out and see Yosemite Falls right there.

Other accommodations inside the park also include the historic Ahwahnee Hotel ($$$$) and some cabins in the Stoneman cabins area, and rhe Wawona hotel which is mich farther from central Yosmite. There are also nice hotels about an hour's drive from the central Yosmite area: Rush Creek, Tenaya Lodge.

Right now, there are rooms vailable at Yosemite Valley Lodge, so I would grab those. The reservation deposit is refundable up to 7 days before arrival.

ONLY use the travelyosemite.com site to book. it is the official lodging concessiionaire for the park. Other sites will NOT refund a reservation and are widely hated.

Edited: 22 October 2021, 00:33
Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
92,043 posts
196 reviews
168 helpful votes
8. Re: Nov 2 full days
Save

Hi Michelle

Please open the full website and look at those Top Questions on the right. Plans can be made with those tips, ideas from NPS.gov website, and YosemiteHikes.com

It is unlikely but possible that Tioga Road will be open. Don't worry about missing it.

Maybe Glacier Point Road will be open and you can see the views AND can hike Sentinel Dome. See those Top Questions!

I think Tuolumne Grove is a good choice for your Giant Sequoia tourism, but it's a bit out of the way. Mariposa Grove requires a long hike to even get near Giant Sequoias and is probably not "worth" your limited time and desire for lighter hiking.

In the Valley, consider the Mist Trail (if open), any portion of the Valley Loop Trail, Mirror lake/MEADOW trail along Tenaya Creek, and a meadow trail.

Grab lodging reservations now.

Edited: 22 October 2021, 00:45
San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
22,489 posts
131 reviews
70 helpful votes
9. Re: Nov 2 full days
Save

I love Yosemite in November. Given that you've only got a couple days and the time of year, you'll probably spend most of your time in Yosemite Valley. First order of business will be to reserve lodging. Staying IN the park is most convenient. If you can't find lodging in the park, the towns of El Portal and Mariposa on Hwy 140 are probably the best place to look for lodging outside the park. Hwy 140 doesn't go over any passes, so it has the least chance of snow.

Here is the park web site, which has good maps and other information: https://www.nps.gov/yose/index.htm

In the Plan Your Visit Section, you'll find the link to the park concessionaire that handles lodging in the park.

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
26,688 posts
9 reviews
11 helpful votes
10. Re: Nov 2 full days
Save

For that time of year with shorter available daylight, I would strongly encourage you to book lodging in Yosemite Valley no matter the cost. Yosemite Valley is surrounded by giant granite monoliths and mountains. It will get darker earlier than you expect because of that and you don't want to be driving possible icy roads getting back to outside of park lodging just to save a few bucks. Black ice is common late afternoon after the sun goes down. You can't see it to avoid it and you could easily slide off the road or worse. Had a co-worker hit black ice leaving Yosemite once. He ended up rolling his car!! Thankfully neither he nor his wife were hurt, but he got lucky.

Yosemite lodging books well in advance. You need to book ASAP.

Reply to: Nov 2 full days
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Yosemite National Park
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Singapore. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.