We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurant recommendatuib in Jackson (on way to Yosemite)

Penn Valley...
Level Contributor
148 posts
12 reviews
6 helpful votes
Restaurant recommendatuib in Jackson (on way to Yosemite)
Save

For the past 12 years our spring/fall trips to YNP have been in our 5th wheel trailer, and camping in any of the 3 'Pines' campgrounds. But sadly, due to our age, the difficulty in getting camping reservations, etc. we have sold that 'rig' and replaced it with a 'little' gas efficient Hybrid Honda CRV.

We will be taking the new car on its inaugural visit to Yosemite later this week, staying at the Lodge for a couple of nights, and in a motel in Mariposa the night before so we can get an early start and hit Glacier Pt. before checking in at the Lodge (great to hear the GP road finally re-opened)

Typically with the trailer we would drive down 5 and go up 140, and stop for lunch at Burger King in Mariposa. But with the car we have decided to drive down down 49 to Mariposa, and make a lunch stop on the way. Jackson is just about mid-way in our drive.

So the question is, does anyone have any first hand recommendations of a lunch stop favorite in Jackson? We have checked Yelp and TA, but thought I would see if any regulars here have to say. (We are planning on going to Charles Street in Mariposa for dinner).

Thanks for any feedback ;-)

A little history: I fell in love with Yosemite camping there as a kid (the fire fall days). I then went up on two different occasions to visit two different aunts that worked there when I was a young teen-ager (one at Volgelsang). I then worked at TML (Tuolumne Meadows Lodge) as a waiter the summer I graduated from high school ('64), and then came back the next summer to do the same thing (the year they were building the new Tioga Pass road). After helping close TML for the season I went to the Valley and was a waiter at the Lodge restaurant (when the Mtn. room was just a bar) for the fall and winter. Uncle Sam cut my work adventure there short, and I was invited to go to Viet Nam instead. After the DW and I got married (53 years ago) we honeymooned in YNP and have gone back regularly over the years with the kids and then the grand kids. We still get excited every time we think about gong back! And a side note, when I left TML and went to the valley (Sept. '65) there were 27 people on the wait staff at the Lodge. After Thanksgiving and into early Dec. there were only 3 of us (with weekenders coming up from Freson to help out).

5 replies to this topic
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
583 posts
3 reviews
3 helpful votes
1. Re: Restaurant recommendatuib in Jackson (on way to Yosemite)
Save

Hey CalBerry, I can’t really say anything about food in Jackson, haven’t been there in years but please post more Yosemite stories!!!

Penn Valley...
Level Contributor
148 posts
12 reviews
6 helpful votes
2. Re: Restaurant recommendatuib in Jackson (on way to Yosemite)
Save

Thanks Hydrogeo! As it turns out, since I did not get any responses to my post about restaurants in Jackson, we decided to stop at an old standby in Auburn instead...Awful Annies! Nothing awful about it!

Yosemite stories...where to begin. How about the time a buddy and I while working in Tuolumne took our day off, left at the crack of dawn with a bag lunch, and hiked up to Sunrise High Sierra Camp, and then down to the Valley climbing Half Dome on the way. We then hitch hiked back up to Tuolumne and got there in time for the employee's dinner ;-)

Or then fast forward about 19 years when my DW and kids were camping in Lower Pines and I decided it was time for me to take my son up Half Dome. He was 12 at the time, and no permits were needed back then. As a 19 year old the cables did not bother me a bit, going up or down, but as a father I was more scared then than any time in Viet Nam. Our son loved it, but I was scared s+++less!!!

Or how about the time in Jan. of '66 while working as a waiter at the Lodge restaurant in the Valley during a severe thunder and lightning storm and the power went out. It was mid-day and snowing like crazy. Being a dry weather country boy I thought that was pretty cool, and said as much. Well the manager (Jan Roscoe) read me the riot act up one side and down the other about how the power company workers now had to go out in the storm and sacrifice their wellbeing to try to get the power back on. I could see her point (even more so now), but I still thought it was cool ;-)

Edited: 29 November 2021, 05:01
Dublin, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Steamboat Springs
Level Contributor
1,485 posts
114 reviews
73 helpful votes
3. Re: Restaurant recommendatuib in Jackson (on way to Yosemite)
Save

Thanks for sharing the stories. Yosemite is magical!

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
583 posts
3 reviews
3 helpful votes
4. Re: Restaurant recommendatuib in Jackson (on way to Yosemite)
Save

CalBerry,

Yup, Half Dome back in the day was way more spontaneous than the current lottery craziness! My first time was a quick stop on a October 1981 road trip from L.A. to Sun Valley, ID with my friends Allen and Kevin. Drove into valley after dark, parked on side of the road near stables and slept under my truck. Got up at 5am and hiked up to half dome, no permits. Allen made it up and back in a pair of slip on Vans (thrifty drug store versions) with no socks. Hiking back down from Vernal Falls bridge in the dark (no head lamps in ‘81). Got to Curry Village and had my first Sierra Nevada Pale Ale! Total Magical day……

Penn Valley...
Level Contributor
148 posts
12 reviews
6 helpful votes
5. Re: Restaurant recommendatuib in Jackson (on way to Yosemite)
Save

Hydrogeo, LOVE it! I can't even remember what shoes we hiked in back then, probably my old Purcell tennies. ;-)

That reminds me of another 'hike' story. Same summer as the above story, and probably with the same guy. We planned to drive down and do Whitney on a day off. Well, on that day it was raining so we had to postpone. We had made a big deal with fellow employee hikers that we were going to be the 1st to do Whitney, and were quite disappointed that we had to postpone our trip. A few weeks later when we finally did, we left TML in my little '63 Karman Ghia in time to beat the road closure (that's when they were re-doing the Tioga road) and drove down to Whitney Portal. We slept in the car and headed out at sunrise. When we got to the shack on top and went to sign into the log book, there was an envelope addressed to us tucked between the pages. It was from two other guys we worked with letting us know that THEY were now the first to have summited Whitney. And they gave the date and time they did it in. We were disappointed at not being first, but also got a kick out of the fact that they had done it and had been able to keep it a secret for those two weeks (or whatever). So we decided that the only thing left for us to do was to try beat their time. In their note they told us their time up, and we had taken only 6 hours to get up, so after 30 min. to eat, admire the views, and enjoying our accomplishment we then started running down. Our total elapsed time was 8 1/2 hours, and if I remember right they confessed to 10 hours, so we all had some bragging rights! All the employees gave us mock cheers when we got back because they ALL knew the other guys had been first. Fun stuff! But the real reason we ran down was because we needed to drive back to Lee Vining that afternoon/evening before they closed the road again! if I remember right we had like 15 min. to spare ;-)

Reply to: Restaurant recommendatuib in Jackson (on way to Yosemite)
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2022 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Singapore. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.