We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Late may/ early June

Stockton-on-Tees...
Level Contributor
24 posts
40 reviews
9 helpful votes
Late may/ early June
Save

Would you recommend visiting for a week during the last few days of May/first few days of June?

We would be based in Yosemite Valley and one day at Wawona. We would like to complete a few different day hikes of around 10-15 miles with up to 3000ft elevation gain and some easier lower level hikes.

We know the snow can vary from year to year but would this generally be feasible? TIA.

10 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
13,085 posts
10 reviews
1 helpful vote
1. Re: Late may/ early June
Save

Feasible if you can find lodging. There's a holiday weekend in that time period here and lodging books up a year in advance. Obviously no way yet to know the snow situation/ road closures/ road closures due to any spring mudslides etc, but the odds say that you'll have very good weather and lots of competition for lodging.

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
92,625 posts
197 reviews
169 helpful votes
2. Re: Late may/ early June
Save

No.

For that type of hiking, I would recommend visiting later when high country trails are open. You can enjoy late spring in Yosemite, but not Tioga Road trails, and that area is a highlight for enthusiastic hikers

In late spring 2022, tourism is mostly Yosemite Valley with a bit of time at Hetch Hetchy and in a grove of Giant Sequoias

Level Contributor
1,343 posts
4 reviews
2 helpful votes
3. Re: Late may/ early June
Save

Can you push it for a week or two later so the chances of tioga pass being open are much higher?

Redlands, California
Level Contributor
7,917 posts
64 reviews
46 helpful votes
4. Re: Late may/ early June
Save

I agree, in late May/June you are limited to the Valley and the best long hikes will not be accessible. Unless there is a very dry winter--which would not make for an optimum visit.

Little Rock...
Level Contributor
2,135 posts
52 reviews
29 helpful votes
5. Re: Late may/ early June
Save

On the west coast of the the US, this is a La Nina year... based on ocean temperatures... and so, it is likely that Yosemite will have a very light snow year... making your dates more reasonable... In a normal year, it would be too early with trails marshy and stream flows will be high making fords difficult.

If too late you miss high flows from waterfalls.

As others have noted, the last monday in May is Memorial Day, our day to honor war dead. it is a significant American holiday, representing the beginning of our summer season. It is one of the most crowded times in Yosemite.

Randy

Washington State
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
92,625 posts
197 reviews
169 helpful votes
6. Re: Late may/ early June
Save

Randy....here in WA (West Coast), some folks are forecasting a higher than average snowfall. We'll see! As a snow sports enthusiast, I hope that we get abundant snow everywhere.

Stockton-on-Tees...
Level Contributor
24 posts
40 reviews
9 helpful votes
7. Re: Late may/ early June
Save

Thanks everybody. I didn't realise there was a national holiday during those dates. I'm a teacher so my holidays are fixed. I can either visit for a week then or during the 6 weeks holiday of in July/August. We tried to visit a few years ago during August and our trip was cancelled due to forest fires as they actually closed the park so I'm wary of booking something during then!

Washington State
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
92,625 posts
197 reviews
169 helpful votes
8. Re: Late may/ early June
Save

Hi

A Backcountry visit in late July can be fantastic. Yes, the possibility of forest fires exists, but the high country can be so good!

Hampton East...
Level Contributor
279 posts
98 reviews
77 helpful votes
9. Re: Late may/ early June
Save

We are flying over from Australia - our borders have been closed since March 2020 (and remain so for non-residents) with strict mandatory hotel quarantine so with the slight easing of our restrictions (now home quarantine, vaccination certificates and regulated Covid testing) we finally booked our flights for the same period.

Only now realizing it’s Memorial Day weekend/week AND Glacier Point Road will be closed for the whole of 2022. Very disappointed as Taft Point and Sentinel Dome were my top planned hikes (not fit enough to do them from the Village.

My timing sucks big time - the same thing happened when we went to Zion in 2018, closures but due to weather that time.

I have accom confirmed so at least that’s one thing I guess.

Edited: 28 November 2021, 12:35
Level Contributor
1,343 posts
4 reviews
2 helpful votes
10. Re: Late may/ early June
Save

Victoria if you can do July that would be good. June is also good but more chances of Tioga road being closed.

I would avoid August. Fires can be bad in summer. This August and September also sucked.

Reply to: Late may/ early June
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2022 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Singapore. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.