We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Panorama Trail in late November

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
113 posts
Panorama Trail in late November
Save

The Glacier Point will be closed in 2022. I want to do the panorama trail hike the coming weekend if weather permits. I did the four mile trail last week, the trail is free of snow or ice and well maintained. My questions are:

The segment of panorama trail from Glacier Point to Neveda Fall has the lower elevation than glacier point, is it reasonable to assume it will be free of snow and ice too ?

I want to take the JMT from Neveda Fall to the valley (to save my knees). Does any one know if it is still open for the season?

Any input will be appreciated.

11 replies to this topic
Elk Grove...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
24,288 posts
5 reviews
8 helpful votes
1. Re: Panorama Trail in late November
Save

Glacier Point is only about 2 miles from the top of Nevada Falls. The weather conditions would be virtually the same. If there is no new snow between now and your hike you should be fine. JMT is used as a winter route to reach top of Vernal Falls and Nevada Falls. Should be okay.

Atlanta area
Level Contributor
1,296 posts
21 reviews
81 helpful votes
2. Re: Panorama Trail in late November
Save

Glacier Point is about 2 miles from the top of *Illilouette Fall*, it's another 3.5 or so (5.5 total) to top of Nevada Fall.

From GP, the trail descends to Illilouette Creek, then climbs back up to nearly the same elevation as GP, before descending to Nevada Fall. Having said that, trail conditions in early November cannot necessarily be expected in late November. From that high point between Illilouette and Nevada, the trail is heavily wooded and shaded as well as generally north-facing, so snow/ice could linger there longer than in the more exposed upper 4-Mile Trail and GP itself.

A challenge with doing the Panorama Trail is transportation. Do you plan to start at GP? If so, how will you get there, or how will you get back there to retrieve your car? Unless you are with someone and have 2 cars, or plan to hike all the way up the 4-Mile to get to GP then do the Panorama.

Level Contributor
1,343 posts
4 reviews
2 helpful votes
3. Re: Panorama Trail in late November
Save

There is no snow below 9800ft, and its all melting with this high pressure system we have on top. You will be fine.

Elk Grove...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
24,288 posts
5 reviews
8 helpful votes
4. Re: Panorama Trail in late November
Save

RE: "Glacier Point is about 2 miles from the top of *Illilouette Fall*, it's another 3.5 or so (5.5 total) to top of Nevada Fall."

We were talking about weather patterns and amount of snow falls. I said "Glacier Point is only about 2 miles from the top of Nevada Falls" as a straight-line distance. Not the hiking trail distance because trails are zig-zag and they go in a different direction to V-turn back.

2 miles thus - "The weather conditions would be virtually the same."

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
92,625 posts
197 reviews
169 helpful votes
5. Re: Panorama Trail in late November
Save

I think weather conditions can vary. As we were hiking back from Crocker Point (Dewey Point), other hikers asked us where we had been during the hail storm. We did not get any hail. None. We were all on the same trail but in different places.

Mountain weather is variable!

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
24 posts
6. Re: Panorama Trail in late November
Save

Hi, i don’t have the response to your question but I’m planning a trip for late December/early January and couldn’t find the infos as to when glacier road would close. So could you send the link to where you found this information? Thank you!

Washington State
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
92,625 posts
197 reviews
169 helpful votes
7. Re: Panorama Trail in late November
Save

Lilac...it is extremely unlikely that Glacier Point Road will be open. It closes when there is snow on the road (it is used for cross country skiing in winter)

The NPS website will have info. The recorded phone number has up to date details about Park roads and weather. 209 372 0200

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
24 posts
8. Re: Panorama Trail in late November
Save

Thank you for your response

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
24 posts
9. Re: Panorama Trail in late November
Save

Oh, sorry, I just misunderstood the initial message saying « the road will be closed in 2022 » as « the road won’t close before 2022 » but went to do some research and found it actually meant the road would close for renovations during the summer of 2022. I’ve seen the closure dates of the road from the past 10 years on the park’s website and i think you are right.

Washington State
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
92,625 posts
197 reviews
169 helpful votes
10. Re: Panorama Trail in late November
Save

The road will be closed ALL of 2022. It will not open to the public to drive on. This is the current plan.

Hopefully cross country skiers can use it Jan thru March.

Edited: 02 December 2021, 23:44
Reply to: Panorama Trail in late November
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2022 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Singapore. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.