We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Reminder by the Park - Do Not Feed The Animals

Fresno, California
Level Contributor
2,956 posts
Reminder by the Park - Do Not Feed The Animals
Save

Yosemite is reminding visitors that it is illegal to feed animals in the park.

But additionally it is dangerous to feed park animals. Just a few days ago a visitor was injured.

From the Park's social media:

"Recently, a visitor was injured when she approached a buck being fed by other visitors. The buck spooked and its antlers connected with the girl's arm, causing a deep laceration and chest abrasions. The wound was dressed at the Yosemite Medical Clinic and she left for further care at nearby hospital.

It is illegal to feed or approach wildlife in Yosemite! While some animals, including deer, might get used to people approaching them, they spook easily and will defend themselves if people get too close or startle them.

Please, for the protection of these wild animals and for the safety of all visitors, always keep your distance! This is not how we want anyone’s visit to Yosemite to end."

http://www.facebook.com/YosemiteNPS/photos/a.156902234358067/4602812276433685/

9 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
1,342 posts
4 reviews
2 helpful votes
1. Re: Reminder by the Park - Do Not Feed The Animals
Save

I hope they got a good fine.

Wolves would raise people better than some of these ( insert insult of choice).

haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
Level Contributor
7,830 posts
42 reviews
50 helpful votes
2. Re: Reminder by the Park - Do Not Feed The Animals
Save

It wasn't that long ago that a man was killed by a deer in Yosemite......If you live or visit around any wild animals, give them space and resect......I see too many folks here creeping up on brown bears just to get that perfect picture......if you have ever seen how fast a bear can move, you would know that is not a great idea.....

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
32,014 posts
49 reviews
17 helpful votes
3. Re: Reminder by the Park - Do Not Feed The Animals
Save

Not just in our parks, but even within the cities. Wasn't there a woman who fed coyotes in Golden Gate Park? I don't think she's been caught yet.

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
26,906 posts
9 reviews
11 helpful votes
4. Re: Reminder by the Park - Do Not Feed The Animals
Save

I live on the coast not too far from an elephant seal rookery. Before the powers that be fenced off the beach where the seals hang out, lots of stupid parents would put their young kids on top of a seal to take photos. Like bears, elephant seals can move pretty darn fast when need be. I can't recall any crushing incidents off hand, but I'm sure there would be some by now if they hadn't put that fence up. The worst, though, is when they found a dead elephant seal that had been shot by a stupid human. Somehow they managed to find the creep that shot the poor animal and put him away for a good while.

Phoenix
Destination Expert
for Phoenix, Pinetop-Lakeside
Level Contributor
11,749 posts
505 reviews
240 helpful votes
5. Re: Reminder by the Park - Do Not Feed The Animals
Save

Some people just don't understand the concept of wild animals. We saw a man trying to lure a coyote to his car in Death Valley with food he was holding in his hand! Common sense is needed.

Little Rock...
Level Contributor
2,135 posts
52 reviews
29 helpful votes
6. Re: Reminder by the Park - Do Not Feed The Animals
Save

Two days ago at sunset I was in the Yosemite Lodge parking lot, bringing in a bag from the car (not food) when I saw 7 deer cross the parking lot 50 yards away from me... while heading back to the lodge, I saw one of the does who had worked her way along the side of one lodge, then headed into the woods between my lodge and one she had walked along...

As another visitor approached I pointed out the doe, and a 4 point buck approached on the side walk along the parked cars. While the buck could have taken another path he didn't, walking straight at us. At 15 feet we stepped off the sidewalk between two parked cars. He stopped on the sidewalk directly in front of us... sniffing drooling and shaking his head... very aggressive behavior... It is the rut, mating season, and bucks are aggressive and dangerous...

No feeding animals was involved... We were aware enough to retreat to a safe(er) place. A uninformed guest might not understand that the approaching deer was not a friend...

Today, in the meadow below El Cap, There was a herd of deer, including two bucks who were surrounded by tourists. The two bucks were circling, preparing to do battle, one head down... I suspect the tourists did not understand and were too close...

Even a squirrel can bit the finger of someone offering a cracker...

Randy

Fresno, California
Level Contributor
325 posts
17 reviews
19 helpful votes
7. Re: Reminder by the Park - Do Not Feed The Animals
Save

Unfortunately, the people who need to read this do not visit Tripadvisor forums.

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
26,906 posts
9 reviews
11 helpful votes
8. Re: Reminder by the Park - Do Not Feed The Animals
Save

And sometimes the people who DO read Trip Advisor ignore the advice given.

We've all seen those travelers who re-post the same questions in a second thread because they didn't like the responses they got in the first one. I always wonder how those trips turned out for that person/family.

Carson City, Nevada
Level Contributor
5,268 posts
23 reviews
17 helpful votes
9. Re: Reminder by the Park - Do Not Feed The Animals
Save

I remember when I was really young eating lunch at a table somewhere in Yosemite and a squirrel came flying down from a tree and grabbed a few chips. I remember being really freaked out. People just aren’t smart around wild animals.

Reply to: Reminder by the Park - Do Not Feed The Animals
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2022 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Singapore. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.