We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary for August 2022 help

Chatham, NJ
Level Contributor
103 posts
40 reviews
26 helpful votes
Itinerary for August 2022 help
Save

We are traveling to Yosemite in mid August flying into Fresno. We have a rental suv and have our reservations already booked in the park. We are a family of 5. Our children are young adults ages 24,23, and 23. We are all pretty active and enjoy hiking. We will not arrive inside the park until around 4pm so the first day is just getting to know the area. The first full day we plan on hiking the Mist Trail early like around 7am and coming down the John Muir trail. Should we pack lunches or where would you suggest to eat after the hike? What should we plan for the afternoon? Rafting or another hike?

The second day we will leave early for Tioga Road. We plan on spending the entire day exploring this area. Is it worth it to go see Mono Lake? Again, should we pack lunches or where do you suggest we eat lunch? I have read that Olmstead Point is fabulous to watch the sun set. If we do this, where should we get our dinner? Pack it or eat somewhere. Will we be walking long in the dark to get back to our car after sunset? How would you plan this day out on Tioga Road?

Our last full day, we plan on hiking the 4 mile trail -4.8 miles up to Glacier Point since the road will be closed. Will we have time for anything else this day if we start between 7-8am?

After the 4 nights in Yosemite, we will be driving to Carmel and staying at the Tickle Pink Inn for 2 nights. Any recommendations for dinner and must do’s while we are there? We then travel down the Pacific Coast Highway and will spend 3 nights at the Pelican Hill Resort in Newport Beach. Any must do’s here and places to recommend for dinners? We will be playing golf and relaxing on the beach or at the pool. Thanks for any suggestions.

21 replies to this topic
Fremont, California
Level Contributor
112,531 posts
8,654 reviews
4,135 helpful votes
1. Re: Itinerary for August 2022 help
Save

For your day out Tioga Pass

1) drive and enjoy the sights along tioga pass

2) See the visitor center at Mono Lake

3) Drive south and see June Lake Loop, Mammoth Lakes and Convict Lake

https://junelakeloop.org/

https://www.mammothmountain.com/

https://www.monocounty.org/places-to-go/lakes-rivers-creeks/convict-lake/

for food you can picnic or plenty of places to eat at.

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
94,275 posts
197 reviews
170 helpful votes
2. Re: Itinerary for August 2022 help
Save

Hi

Your Yosemite plans are pretty good.

My suggestions ...

-- stock up on picnic supplies in Oakhurst (Raley's or Von's) on your way toward Yosemite. There are not many options for dining, and all of them would require queueing up, waiting, eventually eating, and then continuing your fun. (Can you tell that I prefer picnics?)

Day 1: grocery shopping, maybe Mariposa Grove (be sure all food is out of sight and valuables are with you). It's about an hour from the South Entrance to Yosemite Valley, tho' I'm not sure where you're staying in the Park. Stop at Tunnel View on the way in ... afternoon light is so pretty. Your parking will be on the right after the tunnel.

Day 2: definitely picnic. Maybe hike up along Tenaya Creek past Mirror 'lake'/Meadow in the afternoon. Maybe just swim. The commercial raft trip is a 3 mile float and will likely be done for the season by August. If you have inflatables, maybe just float in the Merce River in the afternoon heat.

Day 3: you get to decide how much of your day to devote to Yosemite NP and how much to out-of-Park activities. There is no "worth it". You decide. But I will again strongly recommend that you carry food with you. If you have an hour or two in the heat of the afternoon, you might want to swim or to float in Tenaya Lake. There are so many great hikes along Tioga Road, and with Tuolumne Meadows Campground closed, I think the area may be less crowded than 'usual.' We will see. It's well over an hour from Olmsted Point back to Yosemite Valley.

Day 4: Are you trying to include Sentinel Dome on your Glacier Point / Four Mile Trail day? If not, you may be back before too late. It will be hot, so maybe lounging in the river will be appealing.

I think your overall itinerary seems to match your travel style fairly well. Good job!

Please ask on the Monterey or Carmel forum for info about that area. Or check the California state forum. This forum is really just Yosemite.

I think there is not a single Must See or Must Do anywhere. Just my opinion.

Have a great time!

Mariposa, California
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,261 posts
41 reviews
76 helpful votes
3. Re: Itinerary for August 2022 help
Save

Can I just double check where exactly you're staying? There's some stuff showing up in the media about possible entry reservations again. Every now and then people think they're in the park because of how hotels advertise, and they're not.

Chatham, NJ
Level Contributor
103 posts
40 reviews
26 helpful votes
4. Re: Itinerary for August 2022 help
Save

We are staying at the Awahnee.

Chatham, NJ
Level Contributor
103 posts
40 reviews
26 helpful votes
5. Re: Itinerary for August 2022 help
Save

I heard those lakes are beautiful! What time should we leave the Awahnee in the morning to see those first and the drive back on the that road and what hikes and swims should we plan on?

Chatham, NJ
Level Contributor
103 posts
40 reviews
26 helpful votes
6. Re: Itinerary for August 2022 help
Save

We are staying at the Awahnee. I do love planning trips. The best one so far has been Banff And Jasper. Last year we did crater lake the redwood and up the Oregon coast. Traveling from NJ.

Washington State
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
94,275 posts
197 reviews
170 helpful votes
7. Re: Itinerary for August 2022 help
Save

Hi again

You can change the date on Google Maps to see a nonstop no traffic drive time estimate. Your lodging is the Ahwahnee. I would only go as far as Tuolumne Meadows as that's about 1.5 hours. Swim in Tenaya Lake. Maybe swim In a fork of the Tuolumne River.

Have you looked at YosemiteHikes.com for more trail ideas?

Chatham, NJ
Level Contributor
103 posts
40 reviews
26 helpful votes
8. Re: Itinerary for August 2022 help
Save

I have not, but I will now!

Washington State
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
94,275 posts
197 reviews
170 helpful votes
9. Re: Itinerary for August 2022 help
Save

It's an amazing resource!

If you're trail warriors, consider Cloud's Rest.

Chatham, NJ
Level Contributor
103 posts
40 reviews
26 helpful votes
10. Re: Itinerary for August 2022 help
Save

I saw that but I am not sure I want to spend the entire day out that way on one hike.

Thoughts?

Reply to: Itinerary for August 2022 help
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2022 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Singapore. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.