We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

re: help with Itinerary for a trip April 24 - May 1, 2022

Salem, Massachusetts
Level Contributor
64 posts
1 review
re: help with Itinerary for a trip April 24 - May 1, 2022
Save

I am trying to organize.a trip to Yosemite for me and a friend. We want to see Yosemite as well as some of the coast.

We will fly into SFO on April 24th, rent a car and drive to Yosemite. We will stay at Yosemite View Lodge. We will spend 2 days at Yosemite and then go to Montery, 17 mile drive, Pebble beach and Carmel. Then drive back to San Fransisco and fly back on May 1st.

Does anyone have any other suggestions?

10 replies to this topic
Fremont, California
Level Contributor
112,531 posts
8,654 reviews
4,135 helpful votes
1. Re: re: help with Itinerary for a trip April 24 - May 1, 2022
Save

how many days are you in Monterey? You can as long as highway one is open drive and see Big Sur one of the afternoons. besides 17 mile drive also be sure to see Point Lobos and asilomar State beaches in this area.

Overall fun and manageable trip

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
27,533 posts
9 reviews
11 helpful votes
2. Re: re: help with Itinerary for a trip April 24 - May 1, 2022
Save

If your return flight is late enough, you can probably fit in Santa Cruz and Henry Cowell Redwoods en route to SFO.

Hopefully you a couple of nights in Monterey so that you can tour the northern end of Big Sur. If not, you can still get a small taste by visiting Point Lobos State Reserve a few miles south of Carmel. This park is a crown jewel in the California state park system. Beautiful coves, sea stacks, wildlife viewing and orange moss dripping off the cypress trees.

Long Beach...
Level Contributor
12,631 posts
3. Re: re: help with Itinerary for a trip April 24 - May 1, 2022
Save

2 nights in Yosemite? 1.5 days?

Do you want to see a sequoia grove?

Do you like to hike? Walk? I like this little hiking/walking map

https://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/upload/valleyhikes.pdf

Salem, Massachusetts
Level Contributor
64 posts
1 review
4. Re: re: help with Itinerary for a trip April 24 - May 1, 2022
Save

I’m not sure how many days in Monterey? How many do you suggest?

Salem, Massachusetts
Level Contributor
64 posts
1 review
5. Re: re: help with Itinerary for a trip April 24 - May 1, 2022
Save

Yes I want to see sequoias!! We hike but we’re not real serious about it! I definitely want to go on some light hikes

Long Beach...
Level Contributor
12,631 posts
6. Re: re: help with Itinerary for a trip April 24 - May 1, 2022
Save

For general itinerary questions ask on your other post or on the Monterey forum. For questions about Monterey. (2-3 nights should be good).

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g28926-i29-k13799139-Re_One_week_trip_to_California_April_23_30-California.html

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g32737-i159-Monterey_Monterey_County_California.html

Edited: 26 January 2022, 10:39
Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
94,275 posts
197 reviews
170 helpful votes
7. Re: re: help with Itinerary for a trip April 24 - May 1, 2022
Save

This is the third thread you've started. The other two are on the CA state forum, so continue with just one of those to plan your general itinerary.

Start a thread on the Monterey forum that is just about tourism on the Monterey Peninsula.

This thread should be about Yosemite as this is the Yosemite forum. (Other folks might 'lurk' on your thread to get late April ideas for their Yosemite trip.)

I'll ask again: have you looked at the Top Questions on the right?

Spend an entire day in Yosemite Valley. Share your draft itinerary with us and we'll help you refine it based on time of year, interest in just 'light hiking', one way roads, possible shuttle route, etc.

Spend a half day at Mariposa Grove of Giant Sequoias in the southern end of the Park. Or go to smaller Tuolumne Grove of Giant Sequoias on the way to the Big Oak Flat Entrance. Or exit the Park and visit Calaveras Big Trees State Park.

Salem, Massachusetts
Level Contributor
64 posts
1 review
8. Re: re: help with Itinerary for a trip April 24 - May 1, 2022
Save

Ok thank you.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
17,671 posts
344 reviews
99 helpful votes
9. Re: re: help with Itinerary for a trip April 24 - May 1, 2022
Save

Whatever thread you use post-Yosemite, you might decide whether you want to do a complete drive through Big Sur. If so and you want to drive south to north, then go to Cambria from Yosemite. That should take you around 5 hours, about 45 minutes longer than to the Monterey Peninsula.....wheels turning. Do be aware of distance and time.

Salem, Massachusetts
Level Contributor
64 posts
1 review
10. Re: re: help with Itinerary for a trip April 24 - May 1, 2022
Save

yes, thank you

Reply to: re: help with Itinerary for a trip April 24 - May 1, 2022
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2022 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Singapore. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.