We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Annual pass for rental car

UK
Level Contributor
158 posts
6 reviews
3 helpful votes
Annual pass for rental car
Save

Hi,

Me and my family (2 adults, 2 teenagers) will be travelling from UK to visit West coast USA in July for a couple of weeks. I will be renting a car there. While we are there, we will be visiting several National Parks such as Grand Canyon, Zion, Death Valley, Yosemite, and possibly Joshua tree. Our first NP will be Grand Canyon or Joshua tree. I have a few queries regarding entry fee/annual pass:

1. Can I buy "America the Beautiful" pass?

2. Does it cover all these places?

3. Do I need to buy it online?

4. Do I need to buy it at the entry of first national park?

5. We are staying at the properties belonging to NPs at Grand Canyon, Zion, and Yosemite. Do we still need to buy entry pass?

Thanks for the help.

16 replies to this topic
Seattle
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
13,767 posts
76 reviews
79 helpful votes
1. Re: Annual pass for rental car
Save

Yes, you can buy the annual,pass; it will cover all those national parks and more. You do not need to buy it online; you can buy it at the park entrance, as well as other places.

Here is a list of locations in California where you can purchase the America the Beautiful annual,pass:

https://www.nps.gov/planyourvisit/pickup-pass-locations.htm?s=CA&t=Annual%20Pass&p=3&v=0

The pass is attached to a person, not the car, so it will have your name on it. It covers you and the others in the car with you.

You need the entry pass even if you have lodging inside the park.

Edited: 23 May 2022, 00:46
Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
203 posts
2 reviews
2. Re: Annual pass for rental car
Save

1. Can I buy "America the Beautiful" pass?

yes, you can, but you can NOT buy the discount pass like senior pass. see https://www.nps.gov/fobo/planyourvisit/upload/pass-english.pdf

2. Does it cover all these places?

It covers all the national parks

3. Do I need to buy it online?

You can buy either online or at the park entrance if you arrive at regular business hours

4. Do I need to buy it at the entry of first national park?

Yes, the annual pass cover all the national parks for one year from the purchase day.

5. We are staying at the properties belonging to NPs at Grand Canyon, Zion, and Yosemite. Do we still need to buy entry pass?

The park entry pass is separate from your lodge. You need to buy the pass. But it usually covers the peak reservation, so you don't need to buy day-use reservation

Pacifica, California
Destination Expert
for Pacifica
Level Contributor
14,415 posts
4 reviews
11 helpful votes
3. Re: Annual pass for rental car
Save

"You need to buy the pass. But it usually covers the peak reservation, so you don't need to buy day-use reservation"

I may be misinterpreting the above statement. I'm pretty sure that you'll have to make a reservation simply to enter Yosemite in July, even if you already have an annual pass. I have a pass and had to make an additional reservation ($2) at https://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/reservations.htm for a visit this July, I also needed to make a reservation ($2) to get into Arches National Park last month.

UK
Level Contributor
158 posts
6 reviews
3 helpful votes
4. Re: Annual pass for rental car
Save

Thanks Enzian and John P for your help and sending me these sites.

How do I know if my lodging already covers the entry fee? (I think I read somewhere that Yosemite lodging doesn't)

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
94,757 posts
216 reviews
175 helpful votes
5. Re: Annual pass for rental car
Save

Folks sleeping inside Yosemite do not need a Peak Hours Entry Permit. See more in the Top Questions on the right side of the page ,full TripAdvisor website.

UK
Level Contributor
158 posts
6 reviews
3 helpful votes
6. Re: Annual pass for rental car
Save

Thanks a lot PacificNWFamily and simba_8. I have found that for Yosemite, I do not need to pay £2 for peak reservation. But I still need to have annual pass ($80) or pay $35 on entering Yosemite park.

What I do not understand is, if I do not take annual pass, would I still need to pay similar entry fee of $35 at Grand Canyon, Zion and Death Valley, or it will be free at GC and Zion since I am staying at GC and Zion? (Basically, are the entry rules/fees similar to Yosemite?)

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
33,313 posts
49 reviews
17 helpful votes
7. Re: Annual pass for rental car
Save

You'll still have to pay the entry fee even if you are staying inside the parks. So if you are visiting multiple parks, the annual pass is the way to go.

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
94,757 posts
216 reviews
175 helpful votes
8. Re: Annual pass for rental car
Save

The entry is similar. Pay for a week or show the annual pass. San Francisco has a maritime park that is valid entry with That annual pass.

UK
Level Contributor
158 posts
6 reviews
3 helpful votes
9. Re: Annual pass for rental car
Save

Thanks a lot ThanksSocialSecurity and PacificNWFamily for your help. Okay, I understand now. I will get annual pass on entering GC then.

I was so confused since afternoon. Thanks to your help and advice, its all sorted now :)

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
203 posts
2 reviews
10. Re: Annual pass for rental car
Save

Most national parks charge $35 for a week, if you visit more than 2 national parks, the annual pass is the way to go.

Edited: 23 May 2022, 02:59
Reply to: Annual pass for rental car
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2022 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Singapore. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.